Search Unity

Official Draggable overlays, custom toolbars, new Tool systems

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by gabrielw_unity, Oct 28, 2020.

1. majorgrubert

majorgrubert

Very cool upcoming feature.
    A really small question/suggestion: wouldn't it be simpler to collapse/expand an overlay by double-clicking in its title? Instead of pressing C. Didn't test it, though. Just trying to imagine the daily workflow, ease of use etc.

Edit: typos.

FernandoMK likes this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Awesome, that's exactly what we are hoping to hear from devs :)

FernandoMK likes this.
  3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ok, I read that a few times - I'm pretty sure the answer is YES :D ... but not actually via this/our team. So, there is work being planned to address what I think you want - contextual shortcuts with a bit more oomph. However, I don't think that would (at least default from us) go as far as "use X special shortcut because Y overlay is active in Z window". Can't say for sure though, it's all still up in the air. Would be great if you could create a separate post with some examples of how you'd like to use this, and I'll make sure the correct team gets to it, they really want to see exactly that! :)

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

It might be ... I think it was actually built that way, originally. However, double-clicking has a tendency to shift/move a thing by accident, which could be annoying? I'll dig into this, thanks!

Orimay and majorgrubert like this.
  5. awesomedata

awesomedata

Thanks a ton! -- I'll draw out a little diagram and point out what I'm talking about and link to the new thread from here when I get a few moments!

In addition to my previous post, I wanted to point out this thread (just to give a little bit of the "pain" of the issues with the current shortcut setup):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ishortcuttoolcontext-can-i-use-it-pretty-please.717953/#post-6557197

My previous post outlines the reason we need an actual Shortcut Management (shortcut and workspace) hierarchy (in addition to) the Overlay Tooling systems -- and why these need to be worked on simultaneously.
    That being said -- I get your position, so I'll post my idea with a little more visual context and show what I mean!

And as an aside:

I have been waiting a full year to make my Asset (NAVIGATION STUDIO) an actual "Studio" of tools -- so I am extremely excited to see this stuff finally being worked on.

Thank you guys for your hard work!

NotaNaN and gabrielw_unity like this.
  6. awesomedata

awesomedata

I think the key part of this is the "in the Title" portion of this comment.
    A single click/drag everywhere else would be sufficient, I think.

Orimay, NotaNaN and gabrielw_unity like this.
  7. Ruchir

Ruchir

Any update on when this might be available for preview?

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

majorgrubert, Neonage, Ofx360 and 6 others like this.
  9. Ruchir

Ruchir

Is any update available on this topic? :)

10. awesomedata

awesomedata

11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

EDIT: my mistake, it's moving toward an upcoming Alpha. Not there yet though, and can't make promises.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    NotaNaN, Ruchir, FernandoMK and 2 others like this.
  12. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

awesomedata likes this.
  13. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Will it still be coming in 2021.2 alpha?

I can't wait to be able to test this in its final version in the editor :)

Ruchir likes this.
  14. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

That's the current plan, but it's changed before. This is a big change, important for us to ensure it's fully ready.

15. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sweet! Looking forward to it!

16. Onigiri

Onigiri

Considering that there will be code freeze for 2021.2 in week or two i wouldn't hope for overlays to be released in this version.

17. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

something something lack of faith disturbing :p

18. awesomedata

awesomedata

Speaking of faith though --

Have you guys figured out something about handling icons in Editor folders properly (rather than treating them as textures that clutter up a user's texture folders?)

Textures aren't the only problem, though @Catsoft-Studios had a great example of this sort of implementation for textures (i.e. convert them to binary data blobs), but it was clearly a (very convoluted) workaround -- especially for the average user.
    The more imported assets (tools/extensions/etc), the bigger the problem.
    That being said -- I think it would be better if we were able to simply have a new property on assets to indicate whether an asset (such as a Texture or any Serializable data, especially with a file extension) should be Editor-only. If these are not being included in builds, then they probably shouldn't be seen in-Editor either (at least without an "easy-to-access" toggle), especially upon importing them into a project. Perhaps a "show hidden" option on the browser windows that allow you to show hidden data/objects/files when browsing textures/assets/etc -- if desired?

"Show hidden Editor folder items" should also be a preference when browsing. A little checkmark on a right-click "popup" menu (or hamburger menu) should be a great option for this, in terms of discoverability.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  19. Ruchir

Ruchir

Finally I guess the update is out :)

20. Onigiri

Onigiri

Tested this a bit and this is my feedback on the current status of overlays:
    1. You can snap overlay to other overlay only if second is in vertical mode
    upload_2021-5-13_17-46-20.png
    You can't snap if he is in horizontal mode for some reason
    upload_2021-5-13_17-47-12.png
    Also you can't snap them if they are not docked to the side of window. Would be good to have snapping even if they are floating inside of scene view like this
    upload_2021-5-13_17-51-36.png
    2.Search field is not aligned to the center. There is like 4 pixels padding at the top and 8 at the bottom
    upload_2021-5-13_17-53-22.png
    3.Would be good to have ability to disable background when hovering orientation overlay
    upload_2021-5-13_17-56-53.png

21. Onigiri

Onigiri

4. Dropdown menus spawned right above the buttons and you can't click anything. Only gizmo visibility menu has good positioning upload_2021-5-13_18-3-50.png upload_2021-5-13_18-10-48.png upload_2021-5-13_18-4-41.png
    Also you can't close menu if you click on arrow button second time. It's disabling menu for 1 frame and then appearing again
    5. Would be nice to have ability to snap overlays to the center of window's edge
    6. I need to click two times now when i want to change center/pivot or space. Not so good
    upload_2021-5-13_18-13-31.png
    7. Maybe make little arrow for quick collapsing like in maya?
    upload_2021-5-13_18-25-20.png

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Ruchir likes this.
  22. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks Onigiri!

This initial alpha has a few known bugs and cosmetic, which we've fixed locally and will be available shortly :)

To answer specific items:

"Snapping" overlays to each other isn't actually a thing - they anchor to the corners. So, when you add items to the same corner, they'll auto-layout, and you can adjust their order by placing above/below others.

View gizmo removes the background by default in the upcoming version (can be enabled if some prefer it)

Dropdown menus are fixed locally also, sorry for the bugs there.

Centered overlays have definitely been on our minds as well, hopefully in a future version!

The Center/Pivot and Local/Global are now dropdowns because ... they can host more options! Think all the great stuff in DCC apps, like element, parent, etc space, or relative a picked object, 3d cursor, all that. Very exciting. I know it looks junk at first glance, but it enables a lot more functionality :)

23. Onigiri

Onigiri

Oh, i see, so there is only two containers for overlays on the left and right sides of the window? That's why they can't auto-layout horizontally in "floating mode". And if you docking some overlay to the top only then it will create horizontal container?

24. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

You can make any overlay horizontal, by right-clicking on it and choosing the style you want :)

And yes, there are basically just containers on the left and right sides, though you can choose to place an item at the top or bottom of that side (toolbars work the same! :) )

Hope that helps!

NotaNaN and awesomedata like this.
  25. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Now that Overlays are implemented I tried to implement what you said in this comment

"
    // Note that when Overlays land this code could be implemented through a [CustomEditor(typeof(PlatformTool)]
    // in order to show up in the Active Tool Options overlay."

However adding this to my overlay did not work? How can I make an overlay show when the component tool is selected?

Edit: To be clear, I have a custom overlay already that uses UI Toolkit to draw the overlay, returning a VisualElement, but now I want that overlay to be shown when a component tool is active.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Prodigga and Ruchir like this.
  26. fherbst

fherbst

@gabrielw_unity while I understand that "dropdowns can now host more options" is the goal, the interaction is now just too slow. This is a common issue with other softwares and one that Unity solved great. Don't throw that away, there are many ways to make this fast but still have a dropdown - there's already the UX metaphor of a "toggle with dropdown", and the button could just toggle back and forth between the last two selected options, with Local/Global being the default. The dropdown then allows to switch to something else.

This is needed so often in Unity that really, anyone working with Unity on a daily basis will immediately feel a persistent slowdown for their workflow.

27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That's a really good idea!

NotaNaN, awesomedata, Nirlah and 2 others like this.
  28. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

Have you all thought much about pie menus? Blender is a great reference for UX for this as it has quite a few space transform options, and uses pie menus heavily to make it a comfortable UX.

29. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

This scenario would be ideal
    Assuming you right-click on the scene and open a circular menu with user-defined options, that would be great.

awesomedata and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  30. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! I get that the old method seemed great to experienced users, but for anyone else ... it was objectively bad UX. The two buttons were presented as linked, in a button group (which they were not), with no indication that clicking them would lead to another state - they simply looked like toggles to be turned on/off.

So, with "make the experience consistent, predictable" a top priority (plus knowing we'll be adding more into that menu), we changed those to a standard drop-down. I know it's slow now, but it's also immediately clear and useful to new users.

And for us experienced users, are the shortcut keys not a good option?

The suggested method does sound neat, we'd just need to make sure it was clearly different than the other buttons that also do click (toggle a thing) and drop-down.

31. fherbst

fherbst

I dunno, I'm using too many softwares to remember shortcuts for any of them. I'm using Unity for over 10 years now and the only shortcuts I actually use are "F" and "Ctrl + S". Also I have to switch machines often, work on other user's machines temporarily to fix stuff, etc. which is another reason I don't like shortcuts ;)

What happened to "we want to improve the experience for newcomers but not at the expense of experienced users"? ;)

32. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

Another compromise: allow click and hold for selection in drop downs. So changing the setting is a click and short drag, rather than two clicks.

Blender does this for pie-menus, which is part of why they're so fast to use. Just click-swipe, click-swipe.

33. awesomedata

awesomedata

I'm not a huge fan of pie menus in general (dropdowns are my goto), but to allow the user to set/modify the style of menu he/she wants for particular overlays (i.e. by combining visual elements and behaviors quickly in UI Builder, for example), handling binding and pop-up, list, array-like behaviors for multifunctional controls. This all would be a nice compromise to Overlays that don't work well for certain users.
    Think Blender's "snapping" and "magnet" buttons in its Scene view, for example. I can also imagine a click-to-toggle for the two most recent options, with a right-click (to dropdown the rest). Blender also has controls that "double-up" and really even "triple-up" functionality by grouping all the dropdown / click-to-toggle behaviors into a single control widget. Unity should have this flexible control style available as, say, multifunctional pop-up/dropdown/toggle abilities (capable of array-like usage, such as listboxes in the dropdown panels or even circular pie-menu-like arrays) in ALL of its interactable controls. These should be transferable to Overlays / Custom Toolbars. :p

Seriously -- study some of the unique UI Widgets in Blender's default in-scene view. Unity needs its "basic" controls to behave more flexibly (and allow for non-standard and complex, multi-functional, behavior as well). We need more than a "button" -- we need multipurpose buttons that can be toggles, dropdowns, pop-ups (persistent or not), etc., easy to use listboxes that work with these buttons/labels/panels, etc.

34. Ruchir

Ruchir

It looks like packages such as the VFX graph still use the old system, 'cause I don't see any scene controls when selecting the VFX game object in the scene making it unusable currently :(

Edit: I found that instead of being present in the scene view, they are present in the VFX graph editor, is this some sort of unintentional outcome of having the toolbars in context, or was this done intentionally, if it was then I don't really need to mention what problems would level designers are going to face interacting with them. (Having to open VFX editor for every VFX graph they select to have basic control over their playback during edit time)
    upload_2021-5-25_10-58-35.png
    upload_2021-5-25_10-58-41.png

35. Ruchir

Ruchir

Also, I get a lot of errors when interacting with property gizmos, When I edit any one of them and then undo, I get a lot InvalidOperation exceptions like these:
    upload_2021-5-25_11-2-37.png

(Not sure if this is the right place to report them though :p)

36. Ruchir

Ruchir

Correct me if I'm wrong but it does look like the vfx property gizmos are using the new prefab handles api which was shown last year in the roadmap, but I haven't heard about it ever since :(

Is there a public api available now? :D

37. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

"I don't see any scene controls when selecting the VFX game object in the scene"

Hey @Ruchir ! I'm not real familiar with VFX Graph, can you clarify for me, what you are looking for here? Thanks!

38. Onigiri

Onigiri

39. Ruchir

Ruchir

Just to clarify I marked the window that was supposed to be in scene view:
    temp_LI.jpg

Although as mentioned above it's already fixed in an upcoming release:p

40. Ruchir

Ruchir

Did anyone see the new UE5 interface, it's exactly the kind of workspace unity needs for its scene view

Hotkeys to show panels and hide them, PEEK on the asset store does this pretty well, but I don't use it a lot because it's not part of Core unity and I can't use it on client projects, so don't wanna get spoiled by it :p

One more addition I could think of is to have some way to open toolbars using hotkeys instead of going through the menu to search for it (Maybe it will have a lot of conflict with other assets, but we have a shortcut manager to manage it in my opinion)

Also, a good question would be how will assets like PEEK adapt to these new toolbar changes?o_O

41. I got PEEK on some sale or something. It was promising, until I started to test on 2020LTS. Quickly realized that it is more annoying than it is helpful and it is a long way to be stable.

I don't think Unity should copy either U5 or PEEK.

42. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Yeah, 100% on configurable shortcut keys for Overlays (or toolbars, etc). Only so much time yada yada ... but really hoping we can get this in for the next version.

That, and configurable keys for swapping Overlay layouts. Imagine using 1, 2, 3 etc to pop between your different Overlay configurations ... (minimal, level editing, animation ... ). Sort of like workspaces, but without affecting the external (non-scene view) layout.

Exciting future for sure!

43. Ruchir

Ruchir

@gabrielw_unity
    While checking out the new cloud system, I found this to be pretty annoying that the camera speed is capped at 2X for no particular reason, To navigate big worlds I have to rely on the Acceleration feature of the scene view camera or the simpleCameraController provided with HDRP template (for runtime camera).

It would be really useful if you could just remove the slider and instead use the Min attribute for it.

44. babaukos

babaukos

Hello dear developers.
    I apologize in advance for my English.
    For a long time I could not dare to write about this problem, but it ate my brain.
    The unit has a toolbar that is static, you still have to try to add something to it. I have a small monitor, and every inch matters to me. I got out partially. For this purpose, I create a window with buttons and tools and add them on top. But each such window takes up a lot of space. I came across a very convenient arrangement of toolbars in the Neverwinter 2 editor.
    Question:
    1. Does this wake up in the Unity.
    2. Can this be done without the source code of the engine?
    Until that time, I got out by writing an extension (window with buttons), which did almost what I wanted, but not completely early on.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Shaderic and Ruchir like this.
  45. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @babaukos ! :) There are internal projects moving toward complete customization - but nothing ready to publish yet, sorry.

mariandev, awesomedata and Ruchir like this.
  46. Rowlan

Rowlan

Will the Terrain Tools be part of that? I was thinking about toying around with your new Overlays because the way the Terrain Tools are handled now is way too many clicks.

With the 20+ new Terrain Tools I prefer to have them easily and instantly accessible instead of navigating through menu hierarchies. eg Noise requires 3 clicks, let alone then scrolling down to find the brush size.

upload_2021-7-22_8-7-18.png

That's way more compact and instantly accessible:

upload_2021-7-22_8-8-17.png

(minus the stacking which I hope Unity considers as well for adding themselves)

That being said, imo the Terrain Tools being in the Inspector is outdated. It should be an overlay or a dedicated Palette Window to be flexible and instantly usable.

You can take a look at a modification here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/free-terrain-tools-3-mixer-open-source-github.1143332/

Better would be to also take out the layer palette, it takes away too much space. eg make it vertical grid instead of horizontal next to the common settings. Or even a dedicated draggable layer palette window.

Will we get something like that or at least a compact palette? I'd like to toy around just for fun, but then again if Unity considers something like that even toying around would be a waste of time. So it would be nice to have some feedback in advance. Thank you! :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    awesomedata likes this.
  47. Rowlan

Rowlan

Will Unity provide a common Icon library for the Overlays?

48. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Right now making icons to use for custom purposes is a true pain the butt. I think I ended up writing a script that exports the icon to bytes so that I can load the image with a script directly.

I finally had a "better" solution which was to build a scriptableobject instance and keep it with my package and have references to the icons stored on that. Still pretty gross. Would be nice if packaging and linking icons with a project was less of a hassle.

Also, just using unity's built in icons is a mess. I tend to find something like this https://github.com/halak/unity-editor-icons
    and then randomly try icons that look like they might work for what I'm doing in the hopes that one of them will show up. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. Having a built in unity icon browser would be super nice.

49. awesomedata

awesomedata

Just wanted to add -- is this including full-on "Workspace" support and more contextual "Shortcut" settings for tools/overlays within the current "Workspace"?

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  50. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

WOW, very cool work! You should have a chat with the Terrain Team directly ;)

They are hoping to utilize the new overlays and systems in 22.1, but nothing for sure yet.