Search Unity

Downloading Unity3d is extreme slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AnimosusIII, Jun 26, 2014.

1. AnimosusIII

AnimosusIII

Hi ,

I am not sure am I on right place , but in lust few days I have tried to download new version of unity several times and downloading speed is extreme slow . Do you have same problem guys ? It is almost impossible to download , it will take 18 hours and more. It is not problem with my connection , I have really fast internet around 75 Mbps . I ask my friend to try to download Unity and he has same problem.

cheers!

2. AnimosusIII

AnimosusIII

I check it again it looks like problem still exist with chrome browser.

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Unity uses a content delivery network with edge nodes based around the world. When you visit the Unity download page, based on your IP address the download is routed to your (geographically) closest node. This should give you the best download experience. Can't easily explain why you get such a poor speed.

4. AnimosusIII

AnimosusIII

Hi Graham , My connection speed is great but still Everybody here as far as I know has same issue .This is pretty much new problem, Before 2 - 3 weeks didn't exist, downloading speed was great . I have asked few friends of mine here in Sarajevo, and they also having same problem .We need more then 7 hours to download Unity which is really terrible, but it is not all, after few hours , download will probably fully stop so I can't really download new version of Unity at all. Do you have some direct download links to avoid that downloading logic behind ?

5. _met44

_met44

Could it be that unity got restricted by your isp ? if too many people downloaded it in your area and it broke their policy...

6. AnimosusIII

AnimosusIII

Thanks _met44 , but we try from different isp too. Same thing :(

7. AnimosusIII

AnimosusIII

Finally it works again :) 2 minutes , Much better :)

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(nothing changed at our end as far as I know)

9. AnimosusIII

AnimosusIII

Thanks Graham , It was something ,but who cares , it works now :)

10. Benglin

Benglin

Ah, it seems like I'm not the only one. I have been trying to download 4.5.2 for a week now (in Singapore, with 200Mbps optical fiber connection), no luck. Another guy on this forum seems to have the same issue. One guy was lucky to have another person shared the installer on a public folder. I'm wondering if anyone could be nice enough to share me one? Thanks in advance :)

P/S: I don't mind to wait for 4.5.3 which is coming on Monday :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  11. Benglin

Benglin

I tried downloading 4.5.2p3 from Beta server, apparently that works (although it took nearly an hour). @Graham, it might be time to recheck the CDN when the team pushes 4.5.3. Thanks!

12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, official releases get distributed to Akamai and hosted geographically on their servers. Very occasionally these servers fail to get a copy of the latest release. We let Akamai know, and usually within 24 hours things are back to normal.

Patch releases come from a Unity server. We don't do anything clever to distribute patches around the world.

13. westabforts

westabforts

HI there, I'm getting the same thing, about 1 to 3 days to download 4.6.2. Any word if your servers are alright?

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Akamai server in your state all report that they are okay. Can't easily explain why it would take 3 days to download Unity.

15. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Same problem here. Since 2 days I start Download assistance a lot of times. Estimate time 2days to download Unity at 50kB/s.
    I notice i have this problem downloading from Microsoft and Unity.
    From other i can download at full speed.
    Graham, is it possible is One drive problem? Do Unity use OneDrive?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  16. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  17. Carwashh

Carwashh

No, Unity does not, and would not, use a cloud based storage system to provide a download location. Services like OneDrive are not intended for mass distribution of files.

18. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

I am experiencing 5+ hours of download time in Vancouver. My internet speed is fast but when i downloaded from the archive takes for ever. The frustrating thing is that I am trying to find a compatible version of unity that works with the latest Oculus Utilities, so I am stuck between two walls.

19. Payrim

Payrim

Hi
    I'm in France and I have the same problem. The download began yesterday and it blocks at Visual Studio 'download.
    Can someone help me ?!

20. Payrim

Payrim

Sorry but it is very urgent :).

21. bbartel84

bbartel84

Now in Poland, in Warsaw it is also very slow... Please optimize ;)

22. chronolite

chronolite

Hi, signed up just to complain, same issue. 15 hr downloads. Is there an FTP location or an alternate solution?

23. capyvara

capyvara

Any reasons for not using CDN for patches? it will be cheaper to you guys and way better for us. Currently in Brazil downloading a patch version takes at least a whole day with some luck.

If I was depending on some specific fix for a build I'll be screwed.

24. carnivorous_pickle

carnivorous_pickle

omg same problem 2020

25. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Would need a bit more information clearly, it's been fast enough for me. Are you downloading over a phone hotspot? That would be slow.

26. Thurifer

Thurifer

Same problem. Extremely slow download. 45min now @16.7%

27. jawa-stu

jawa-stu

Same problem, Extremely slow. 2hrs and just 14% o_O

28. nitrous_pix

nitrous_pix

very slow installing...200kbps max, despite got 300mbps connection, from jakarta, indonesia

29. kmwood

kmwood

my internet suck and even on a good day its 54mbps it take three days to stop and say there is a problem {you don't say:mad::mad::mad:}

30. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

download asset 170MB = download speed 57KB open speedtest give me 30MB open youtube 1080 works fine

31. VhalirGames

VhalirGames

Seeing something similar today. I started a download of Unity 2020.3.27f1 and I was getting download speeds around 500 kb/s (.5 mb/s). This ran for about 15 minutes, and I stopped it and restarted the download and was getting around 30 mb/s this time. I ran several speed tests around the same time and consistently got 250 mb/s up and down.

32. mitja-h

mitja-h

Experiencing a similar issue, using Unity Download Assistant.
    Speed tests consistently show around 350 Mbps download, 500 Mbps upload.
    However, the Unity Download Assistant has been downloading the Unity.pkg (which is about 3.3GB in size) for over 1 hour, and it's just about 2/3 through.

33. JoelStolar

JoelStolar

You should consider a virtual online computer. There's several available . I use Shadow. It was originally made for gaming. I never run gaming on it. I am working on game since October of last with Shadow. It costs around 30 dollars a month. I could never have gotten close to even thinking about making a game if I didn't have it. I run Fusion 360, Blender, Davinci video editing on it. And now using Unity's last build. So far I am doing the Create with code tutorial and just published my Lego Microgame game from the tutorial. Takes time to learn how to coordinate Shadow with files. You have to run Google Drive to coordinate files. Can be hard with Unity because long file destination will screw up game. Shadow comes with about 250gb of storage, so no problem really for small games. And no...I don't work for them or get any compensation for posting about the service. ISoon they will be upgrading GPUs so the proposed option is for an RTX card. That will be good for game design.

34. Jamalhaider92

Jamalhaider92

Extremely slow download speed. rest of the components downloaded with very good speed.

Attached Files: