Search Unity

Download on Ubuntu using unity hub

Discussion in 'Linux' started by urhprimozic, Feb 14, 2019.

1. urhprimozic

urhprimozic

I have just downloaded unity hub for linux. (ubuntu). It seems like everything works perfectly, but i have problems with downloading unity.
    I have dual-bot on my computer. So the root disk for ubuntu is small. But i use my other ntergrated HDD for programs and files.
    I can easily edit the download location. But no matter if I set it on /dev/ ... or /media/..., there is an error.
    ,uniy-hub will say, there is not enough space on my disk. (It says, there is only 10B free, but that is true for root disk, not for HDD).

Majorro likes this.
  2. mageaster

mageaster

Dual boot with what? Windows? And you're trying to install Unity on the windows partition with FAT32/NTFS, right? But it is useless! Windows file systems don't support UNIX FS features such as right permissions. You'll need to set the execution flag on the Editor binary, but you will not be able to do that.

3. urhprimozic

urhprimozic

Okay, last time my explanation was imperfect. For easier understanding (I am not the best at describing things in English), i included this screenshot of my partition.
    I completely forgot /dev/sda1is NTFS. But after i realized that, I tried to put Unity somewhere on /home , so /dev/sda4 . (346 GB should be enough). File system is ect4, so that shouldn't be a problem. But unity hub is still saying, there is only 2GB available, and doesn't want to download unity.
    So, i guess that unity hub is looking for free space in /dev/sda2 and not /dev/sda4.
    Why is that, and is there any way I can fix that?
    Or did i ruin something when installing Linux?

4. mageaster

mageaster

So, what's a problem to show the required location to the Hub?

UniHubSettings.jpeg

5. urhprimozic

urhprimozic

Well, I can edit the location.

But no matter that, later I get an error.

Majorro likes this.
  6. mageaster

mageaster

Well... Don't you run Hub with root privileges?

7. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

Yes, hub downloads to /tmp before installing to your selected folder. I don't know how to change that though.
    Perhaps it also extracts to tmp before installing which is why it might need more space than just the compressed download size. Try freeing up 5gb or so and see if that helps.

8. Majorro

Majorro

I wrote bugreport about that and support adviced this solution:
    In the meanwhile, there is a workaround for this - changing TMPDIR to point to the disk where you're installing. If you are on Ubuntu, there are a few ways how to do that, but the easiest would be to find /etc/environment file and add (or change if it's already there) this as new assign:
    TMPDIR=<location to external drive>

You can read up more here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables

rayzote likes this.
  9. Majorro

Majorro

It turns out, it doesn't work for me, tmp was changed but not for unityhub:( maybe you have another options?

10. TheFellhuhn

TheFellhuhn