Search Unity

download corrupt?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by darkoverlordofdata, Nov 27, 2015.

1. darkoverlordofdata

darkoverlordofdata

Referring to this thread, which is closed for comments: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/

I've been running on the initial release for a while. When I try to upgrade, I get an error from gdebi - could not open 'filename.deb' the package might be corrupted. I tried other downloads, listed, and they all get the
    same error. Even the original, if I download it again has the error, and even a different file size.

these give me an error:
    • unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015082501_amd64.deb 13.5 mb
    • unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015090301_amd64.deb 21.4 mb
    • unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015091501_amd64.deb 4.5 mb
    • unity-editor-5.2.2f1+20151018_amd64.deb 855.9 mb

original, and still working, download:
    • unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015082501_amd64.deb 997.4 mb

2. darkoverlordofdata

darkoverlordofdata

I tried again today. The
    • unity-editor-5.2.2f1+20151018_amd64.deb 855.9 mb is now 1.1gb, and installed correctly.

3. peterwilli

peterwilli

I have the same problem, what I do is download like this (in terminal):

wget --tries=inf --wait=10 --waitretry=10 "http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015091501_amd64.deb"

It retries the download automatically on error (resumes where left off)
    Ofcourse it would be better if Unity had a better download location but this get's the files on your computer at least for now :)

4. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

Thanks, Peter, for this suggestion. I get to about 44% with a standard download before it quits, but the wget method you described is getting me over that hump.

peterwilli likes this.
  5. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

I was successfully able to download the unsupported shell script (using the wget method described above) for build #2015101801, but I get the following error when I try to install:

Unpacking Unity 5.2.2f1 ...

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
    Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

For the record, I'm using Fedora 23 and everything else is running fine. Unreal Engine 4.10 works flawlessly.

I'll give 5.2.2f1 a try on Xubuntu 15.10 later with the officially supported installer, maybe. See if I can get it to work there.

6. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

I tried downloading again with wget and I guess I got everything I needed. The Unity 5.2.2f1 install script worked fine and Unity fires right up on Fedora 23. However, I cannot seem to log into my account when I start Unity. This wasn't a problem before. I get the log-in screen but nothing registers when I try to type in my username and password. I can work offline, but I can't log into the Asset store, either.

7. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

The apparent workaround for logging in on Fedora 23 is to use Plasma, making sure you tell Unity to remember you. After that you can log out and use whatever DE you want (Gnome 3, Mate, xfce, etc.).

Edit: But using the other DEs is buggy..can't type input into fields once you are in.

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Classic wget... I call most reliable downloader for Linux, am I right? :D

9. peterwilli

peterwilli

Absolutely! I love how it actually gave me the file while firefox kept choking on it. Wonder how the files are served so badly though, Unity does have a central place for distributing downloads I pressume?

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

For official things, they seem to. (download.unity3d.com)

Whether that's pointing to multiple servers or just one however, I have no idea. If it's the former, then there's a good chance one of the servers is on it's way out... and our Linux .debs are on it. :D

Either way, @natosha.bard would know a bit more than all of us here, she might know what's going on.

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That pretty much rules out what I usually use... only I don't use Fedora. (Never really been a fan... :D)
    In fact, you sir reminded me to try Linux again... :D If a new thread pops up, it's probably my verdict on unity. ;)

12. peterwilli

peterwilli

I had the same thing but used Fluxbox on Ubuntu like they mentioned on the forum.
    I downgraded to the version before 5.2 because I wansn't able to build for android using 5.2 (the importing assets was hanging and said temp files were missing) but 5.1 works fine.

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That's crazy... I will have to test this myself! :D (Might take a while, as I am currently using UEFI on my laptop with Windows 10, and am still contemplating making a separate part for Ubuntu)

14. zerozaza

zerozaza

Hi Peter, so many thanks for ur info how to download the unity 3D file. I'm new and totally unsure about UBUNTU, but tired of Windows. Ubuntu gave me a lot of headaches since 3 days. I installed it already 3 times. basically I guess it was corrupted by WINE installation both versions 1.6 and later 1.7 failed, crashed in the end. So I dont want to touch it anymore even though this keeps me away from roblox.
    However, now I face that my Ubuntu 14.04 won't install Unity 3D, it does maybe 15% and then stops. Do you have a suggestion.? Sorry for a new question and my bad english, I'm from Thailand.

15. peterwilli

peterwilli

Hi, cool that you give ubuntu a shot :) Are you installing the install script for non-ubuntu distrubitions? (It sounds like you are to me)

16. CyRaid

CyRaid

Yep, pretty much!

17. zerozaza

zerozaza

Hi Peter,sorry for my late reply.
    Was busy with school issues (I'm 13 years old).

I'm not sure what you mean by "install script for non ubuntu distributions". I used your wget script which worked perfectly. It downloaded the entire file to my system and appeared in the Ubuntu software center. There I clicked the installation button. And the progress of installation stopped after 10% to 15%.
    Was this wrong? is there another way?
    If so, please tell me! Thnx in advance.

The other day I installed Q4wine not using the Ubuntu SW-center, which led me finally to another crash of my whole system and Ubuntu installation No. 3.

I understand, its basically me who made the mistakes, as I dont understand Linux right now, so many commands, so much to read in Wiki and forums. MS is made for lazy users, it keeps most users away from learning and understanding IT. Linux forces me to think about what I do and what is furthermore possible. Well,

18. peterwilli

peterwilli

I like that you started going into techy stuff at such a young age (I'm 24 years now but I started too when I was 13) Keep that up! It's worth it!

I meant with the non-ubuntu script the script that Unity distributed for non-ubuntu distributions, see this page: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/#post-2389564

Since you downloaded the original package you don't have that problem.

I would try running the following as root: 'sudo dpkg -i <path to your unity package>'

And see what kind of error shows up. Whatever the output is, it'll be more helpfull :)

19. zerozaza

zerozaza

Hello Peter,
    thx a lot for ur reply and the link which I used immediatly.
    However the normal download stucked again, so I used ur 'wget'-command which I had to change, as the link is for unity 5.2.2 and your command is for Vers, 5.1.

I followed ur recommendation to use 'sudo dpkg -i',

It worked, but only after i found out that the command doesn't require the full path, only the .deb-package-name is ok. And of course it failed to install, so I checked 'askubuntu' and found out to run a command 'sudo apt-get install -f' to get missing dependencies.

Re-run the installation command and it seems that it worked. It surprised me that the installation time was pretty short. Hopefully it was installed correctly

However, pls dont think I'm stupid but I can't find the startprogram of Unity Editor among all the unityfiles which are installed. :(

Do you know the name of the execution button, so I'm going to try using the search function in the foldersection?

Again so many thnx for ur help and patience. Glad to have you by my side. :D

20. vinhui_

vinhui_

the unity binary is in /opt/Unity/Editor (its called Unity)

21. zerozaza

zerozaza

Thank you i found it :D