Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Download changes from UnityHub

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Fenrirson, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Fenrirson

Fenrirson

Migrating a large project to a new Unity version can be a real ordeal.
    Since the project in UnityHub shows the Editor version of the local revision of the project, there is no clear way to coordinate an editor upgrade with the team (for instance we just migrated a project from 2019.3.x to 2019.4.x LTS).

Right now we've found the easiest way to do this is to upgrade the editor, one team member upgrades the project and zips it, the other members delete their version of the project and unzip the new one, this works well with collab and doesn't create conflicts, but it is very cumbersome and time-consuming.

If UnityHub had an option to sync a project to the last revision, we could coordinate an editor upgrade with a little less risk of the project causing conflicts and with less overhead. The process should be:

• All team members delete their editor
    • All team members install the new version of the editor
    • One team member upgrades the project to the new editor and commits the new revision
    • Other team members open UnityHub and download the new revision already upgraded to their editor version.

laer96 likes this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Fenrirson, you're right that this process could be improved for handling upgrades of larger projects and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Your current workflow makes sense considering our current limitations. I'll file this feature request and pass it along to the team so that it can be incorporated into our future plans for Collaborate.

Fenrirson likes this.
  3. Fenrirson

Fenrirson

Thanks a lot :)
    I honestly cannot imagine my workflow without Collab, and I sincerely hope to see the tool grow and get more powerful.

Ryan-Unity likes this.