Search Unity

Feature Request download all my assets with one click from the asset store

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ullukai, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Ullukai

Ullukai

After formatting my hard drive and spending over 6 hours of downloading over 1200+ of my assets from the asset store that I have accumulated over these 10+ years of using Unity I RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE A ONE CLICK DOWNLOAD ALL ASSETS OPTION instead of wasting 6 hours of clicking buttons to download them all one by one

I sure hope you implement that 'cos I don't think anyone would want to spend so much time downloading their assets one by one

thanks for listening !

2. But why did you do that?

3. Ullukai

Ullukai

Why ?
    Why wouldn't I ?

Over the years (10+ years now) some assets disappear from the asset store. I lost some assets from the asset store that don't exist any more so I had to download all of them today so that I don't lose any again. Even doing so I found out today that I have lost even more assets than I thought !

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Deprecated assets are still available for download. Always have been.

5. Ullukai

Ullukai

lots of my assets are listed as unavailable and not in the category of depreciated and are not downloadable any more

6. Because this is not the intended usage. Asset store infrastructure and all of the tooling was created so you can download on-demand only the stuff you currently need and import it in your project. Otherwise you always can browse your assets regardless of their deprecation status. You always can download them and use them no matter if they got deprecated or not.

In short: you don't need to download them all, only what you need right now. This is why it took you six hours and this is why they don't provide 'mass download'.

Could you make a screenshot? I'm really curious, never seen anything like that before. And I have my fair share of deprecated assets in 'My Assets'.

7. Ullukai

Ullukai

I dont want to post all of them but here's some >> ookay.jpg

8. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Are these actually assets, or just old broken releases of assets?

Also this is a screenshot of the Asset Store - but all of your asset store assets are available in the package manager directly.

9. Ullukai

Ullukai

these are actual assets and yes they can't be downloaded any more

10. Since never seen this I searched a little. Unavailable shown if an asset was disabled (usually for piracy), so no longer available for anyone to download.

To be honest, I'm torn by this one. I probably rather would contact support. You don't want to store pirated assets, especially don't want to use them.

11. altepTest

altepTest

At first this one click download looked a bit too much for me but if you add the fact that assets will vanish from the store I think is a good function to have.

download all/update all

But top this with providing an option to chose WHERE to put the downloaded assets, not sure if unity team figured this by now but computers these days have a smaller SSD as main drive which will fill up with all the software and stuff and you don't want to use it as storage device which what downloaded assets are.

filling the main SSD with gigabytes of assets just for storage is a bad idea.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  12. They only vanish in two occasions: if they were a mistake (technical error) or if there is some legal problems with the package. You shouldn't store or use those packages for real neither in those cases.

13. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Still waiting for that feature as well.

Also, have a favorite assets list. I have like 500+ assets so i don't want to download them all but there is a short list that I use in every single projects and I shouldn't have to install them one by one or copy paste them from an other projects to avoid that.

14. randyami

randyami

I definitely feel the need for a download-all button. Even with only 300+ assets, I'm finding it hard to download them all and play with them in categorized libraries. I've got projects with nothing but audio assets and others with material and textures. I can't imagine dealing with 1000+ assets without having them all pre-downloaded and pre-sorted to play around with BEFORE you need them. Now I'm wondering if there's a thread on asset management... oh, here's me going to look :).