Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubts about Precomputed Realtime GI and light probes

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Farlokko, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Farlokko

Farlokko

Hi, I'm kinda new to Unity and I'm trying to have a better understanding of some GI topics. Documentation and tutorials are really good (thanks a lot!) but there is one thing that i don't get. So from my understanding a light which uses precomputed realtime GI has a realtime direct light plus a realtime indirect light using clusters and simplified math models. Indirect light works on static geometry so i suppose that this kind of GI is used with moving lights (for example a torch, a flashlight, etc.). If the light (or any lightmap static object) is not going to move i suppose that mixed should just work fine. Is this correct?

Let's assume it is. Now for handling dynamic objects (for example a player) i need light probes which "bake" (not sure that is the right term here) surrounding light effects so that dynamic objects can use them. So my question is: what if i have a scene with a moving precomputed realtime light and light probes? Aren't light probes going to give to player incorrect light data as soon as the light object is moving (because probes stored data when the light was still)?

If this is not a problem and my guesses are wrong, why? If not, how to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help! :)

2. neoshaman

neoshaman