Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Double charged at asset store, got nothing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dwaldrum, Dec 27, 2018.

1. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

I decided to take advantage of the holiday sale today to buy some assets. Went to complete my purchase and an error code came up.

Figured something might have gone wrong as I’ve used the asset store many times before, so I tried again. Got the same error code.

Checked my bank and unity has now charged me twice for a total of over $1500. Asset store shows no order. Contacted my bank, they say it can take up to 55 days to get it back, and I should contact unity first. I can’t find any way to contact unity asset store and I’ve now lost $1500 for possibly over a month.

Does anyone know who to contact/where to go to get this resolved?

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Thanks!

I just found that through a Google search. Was no link from the asset store, go figure.

Filled it out and waiting for a response.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Good advice from the bank. If you dispute the charge without first going through Unity, then Unity without knowing there was a problem might see it as you're trying to avoid paying for something you purchased and lock your access to the asset store until it gets resolved. I saw a thread where something like that happened about a year ago.

FYI, expect support requests to the asset store to take at least several days.

Kiwasi, SparrowGS and dwaldrum like this.
  5. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Unfortunately I expect either way that this is going to take days. Which means I now have $1500 in limbo during the holidays.

To not have any live support for an e-commerce platform like this is scary when things like this happen and is making me think twice about purchasing now. Which is not good for them or publishers.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not too long.

7. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, I can only use the old asset store for purchases. For whatever reason, it locks up when I try to make a purchase using the new asset store.

I consider the code for the old asset store to be more reliable than the new one. I don't know if that helps you any with thinking about future purchases, but I've used the old one for years.

Socrates likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Especially if on mobile as well, time-outs and all sorts can't be fun. I don't think the store they have was designed for the pressures placed on it.

9. Yeah, I saw these sort of things many times while I was working in the web industry (15 years...).
    The problem is, the developers are working on solutions, usually understaffed, usually they're under-budgeted and when they do something okay, the other departments (usually sales) come in and force to use those solutions for everything and it usually does not end well.
    The asset store web is okay, even the new one, aside that some direct URLs aren't working anymore when the cookies need to be refreshed (LOL?).
    But on the Unity side it should be a native, not browser based solution with proper download (automated, pause/restart/stop/bandwidth limit) solution. Especially since the assets are growing in size (multiple gigs sometimes, Book of the Dead anyone? Icon collective thingy?)
    And not having the support link/email on the Asset Store shows that the AS Support is understaffed as well.

I hope Unity will fix their AS problems sooner rather than later.

Socrates likes this.
  10. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

I'm a Software Architect working in the web industry so I know how it goes. Which means I also know that regardless of understaffing getting at least a customer service link on the asset store should be fairly trivial.

Don't get me wrong. I've purchased thousands through the asset store without issue, and looking at other marketplaces, it's not any better, so I'm not saying the Unity store is worse. I just hope it can be a bit better. Especially when it comes to money issues. This just put a damper on new years plans for me as $1500 loss and all I have is a form to fill out. From now on I'll only be purchasing small quantities at a time to protect myself until something can be put in place to ease the fear of it happening again.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  11. Player7

Player7

Unity asset store ... Double for nothing, loading screens for free :D

12. hopeful

hopeful

I want my, I want my UAS. ;)

xVergilx likes this.
  13. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

3 days, still no response, still out $1500 and now I'm also concerned that if/when they do refund the money the holiday sale will be over and they won't honor it if I have to repurchase. This was $1500 in assets at 50% off which is a great deal, if it is over when they fix this I'll then lose $750 if I have to buy them all at regular price.

Not sure what to do, but I know that if that happens it's the last asset I purchase. Spent thousands on assets and multiple pro accounts, this kind of support is completely unacceptable.

I get that it's during the holidays, but Unity chose to run a holiday sale! Ugh.

hopeful likes this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

I would be worried too. And they should have support during the holidays, especially if they are running a holiday sale.

15. snacktime

snacktime

Ya companies that don't provide easily accessible phone numbers for billing issues, pet peave of mine. I generally find a corporate number and call them and nicely work my way into getting a number or just getting transferred directly. Because it's almost always the case that there is a number to handle billing, and I feel zero guilt/shame in being a nuisance if they don't have the courtesy to make solving billing issues easy.

16. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

And people want a Unity Game Store XD.

"What? Why I was charged twice for a game that I bought on sale?" I can see that thing coming

17. IdRatherBeSailing

IdRatherBeSailing

Did you ever end up getting a response and getting your money back? I'm going through the same thing at the moment "up to 10 days response on tickets" ugghh...this is pretty pathetic service for such a popular tool.