Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DOTween (HOTween v2), a Unity tween engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Demigiant, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Demigiant

Demigiant

@jeffweber Don't import only some part of DOTween, otherwise you will break it ;) The setup will take care to organize it correctly each time.

The Unity 5 dlls only contain methods that work from Unity 5+. DOAnchorPos is on the DOTween46 dlls, while sprite shortcuts are on the DOTween43 ones. In short, if you're on Unity 5, you will need all the dlls none excluded. Instead, for eaxmple, if you're on Unity 4.6 you'll need all dlls except DOTween50 (but again, the setup will take care of unpacking/deleting the correct ones).

2. bkachmar

bkachmar

Hi all,
    I am using sequence and I want to make a tween DoMove with duration of 0. I want just to change transform in a moment.
    For now I set duration to 0.0001f, but I think there is smarter way for that =)

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

@bkachmar Ahoy!
    Unless I forgot something, 0 duration tweens are supported, so you can do that without any issues. Otherwise, you could simply add a callback to the Sequence (Append/InsertCallback) and directly change your transform's position from there.

4. iamsam

iamsam

@Izitmee Thank you very much for the quick support, the canvas group trick helped.

I think I am having the same problem as Jeff in that I also cannot see some of the methods in intellisense, not sure why (Unity 5.0.1f), have installed the latest version from the website. The methods however work wonderfully so no worries for me :).

5. bkachmar

bkachmar

Thanks for the reply, but...

In my case if the first DoMove tween in sequence has duration 0.0f it is ignored: transform doesn't change and OnComplete is not called. But when I change 0.0f to 0.0001f - everything works fine...

6. Baroni

Baroni

Just chiming in to tell @Pinsukka that Simple Waypoint System is build for path management, has visual tools to create paths and uses DOTween as the tweening library. Paths can be accessed and set with a call to movementScript.SetPath(path) or by name. Aaaaand I'm gone ;)

7. Demigiant

Demigiant

@iamsam Wait, but you mean the methods are there and you can use them, but it's only intellisense not showing them? If so, then I suppose it's because you're using MonoDevelop, which is teeeerribly buggy (on my computer it doesn't even start anymore since many releases)? Still, I think I might have a solution for that (other than recommending the awesome and free Visual Studio Community, if you're on Win). Let me know if that's the case, and I'll try to push an update with the solution tomorrow.

@Pinsukka and SWS is highly recommended! :)

8. Kuptsevych-Yuriy

Kuptsevych-Yuriy

Hi,
    Somebody knows why the tweens created in a loop don't work? I attached the project with an example. Also if create a sequencing in a cycle, it also won't work.

Attached Files:

9. Kuptsevych-Yuriy

Kuptsevych-Yuriy

Sorry guys, I found this bug as a known in F.A.Q. :(

Some bypass

Code (CSharp):
    2. float value = 1f;
    3. DOTween.To (() => value, x => value = x, 0.1f, 3f).OnUpdate (() => {
    4.     for (int i = 0; i < Sprites.Length; i++)
    5.     {
    6.        Sprites[i].color = new Color(Sprites[i].color.r, Sprites[i].color.g, Sprites[i].color.b, value);
    7.     }
    8. });

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Kuptsevych Yuriy Hi! If you use shortcuts rather than the generic way, they will take care of Unity's for-loop NET bug themselves. For example, this works correctly:
    Code (csharp):
    2. for (int i = 0; i < Sprites.Length; i++)
    3. {
    4.     Sprites[i].DOFade(0.1f, 3f);
    5. }
    (coroutines have problems with callback references, but not with shortcuts)

11. Kuptsevych-Yuriy

Kuptsevych-Yuriy

it's cool! many thanks !

12. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Dotween_Profile.png

Hi! I'm getting this hiccup on my frame rate and tracked it down to a spike from DOTween::LogStringToConsole().

It happens every 220 frames exactly and the frame takes over 100ms to render. However, Dotween is not really logging anything to the console (it makes no difference whether it is configured with log behaviour settings default, error only or verbose).

I just upgraded to 1.0.420 but it made no difference.

Any ideas?

DanilKozub likes this.
  13. CrazyCamel

CrazyCamel

hi there
    I have a issue about Tweener.ChangeEndValue.
    I use this to make camera follows the main character with code like:
    if(mMoveTween == null){
    mMoveTween = m_Tran.DOMove(targetMC.position,0.5f).OnKill(()=> mMoveTween = null);
    }else if(mMoveTween.IsPlaying()){
    mMoveTween.ChangeEndValue(targetMC.position,true);
    }else
    {
    mMoveTween = m_Tran.DOMove(targetMC.position,0.5f);
    }
    the variable "mMoveTween" is the preference i kept in the class.meanwhile i set the recycleAllByDefault be true when init.
    DOTween.Init(true, true, DG.Tweening.LogBehaviour.Default);
    the question is when I run the game. there always are 20b GC allocations in unity profiler.how does this happen? I think the mMoveTween should be reused without any gc.
    i'm looking forward to your answers , thx.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  14. Pinsukka

Pinsukka

Thanks meapps and Izitmee for your help. I think I have found a way to make multiple paths work for my project, not the most elegant way of doing things but as long as it works I'm happy.

However, another problem has risen recently and I have no idea what is causing this.

I have a mesh that is used in two different paths. I made a parent object that had the dotween path, the mesh is a child gameobject and I rotated it 90 degrees in Y-axis and 270 degrees in Z-axis. This worked great and the gameobject turned correctly along the path. But when I made a copy of the parent to create another path, the mesh flips around and shows the bottom side instead of front side as it is supposed to, even though the mesh is rotated exactly same on both cases.

How can I make the rotation work correctly?

Update:

It seems some of the meshes flip even when they are on the same path. Here is an image to demonstrate the problem I'm having:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqoHs0fUEMXQVNOOVpXcjJSRXM/view

As you can see some of the red enemies are rotated correctly, while some of them follow the path flipped. All the enemies are one prefab so they follow the same path and have exactly the same settings. Why is this happening?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  15. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Manny Calavera That is weird indeed, there is no log being called inside the Update of a DOTweenComponent, at least not directly. Are you in Deep Profile mode (you should)?
    Can you:
    1. Update to the latest version of DOTween (1.0.720) - unless you're using it already and miswrote v1.0.420
    2. Check this out again with Deep Profile on, and send me a screenshot
    @CrazyCamel For anyone who might be interested, I answered on DOTween's forum.

@Pinsukka If you're using DOTween Pro, get the latest version which will fix this issue (if you're using a Sprite as I suppose). Otherwise, if you're calling DOPath yourself, change the pathMode to PathMode.TopDown2D, which will take care of orientating objects correctly for a 2D top down view.

16. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

@Izitmee, you are right, the logging doesn't come from DOTween but from an underlying pooling class that was called from one of the tween callbacks. The profiler callstack was misleading.

Cheers!

17. Pinsukka

Pinsukka

I'm using DOTween Pro, seems to be the latest version too, at least there is no update available on the asset store. I'm not using sprites, I'm using 3D models. They still do flip around. Do I need to fix this manually via script somehow? I cannot edit the path script on DOTween Pro at all for some reason though, when I try to edit it Monodevelop just pops up but the script never opens.

Update:

Ok, it seems the flipping happens after I disable a ship. When the ship reaches the end of the path I call a function that simply does this.gameObject.SetActive(false); and when the spawning script spawns a new one it simply sets the next inactive ship on the list to be active again.

I have set it so on the DOTween Pro that when the gameobject becomes active it calls Play, and when it is disabled it calls Rewind. Either I'm doing this wrong or my pooling system conflicts with your tween engine somehow. <__<

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  18. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Pinsukka Sorry, I forgot to mention again that the last version of DOTween Pro is here, but if you're not registered already you will need to follow these steps to get private download access (had to set up this private forum because the Asset Store is very slow to update assets).
    After getting the latest version, check if you still have this error, and if yes, then it would be great if you could send me a project that works with your spawning system and replicates the issue, so I can check it out and eventually fix it :)

19. Pinsukka

Pinsukka

Ok, I upgraded DOTween pro, but now I'm getting 6 compiling errors:

Assets/Demigiant/DOTweenPro/DOTweenAnimation.cs(286,42): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Camera' does not contain a definition for `DOAspect' and no extension method `DOAspect' of type `UnityEngine.Camera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Demigiant/DOTweenPro/DOTweenAnimation.cs(292,42): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Camera' does not contain a definition for `DOFieldOfView' and no extension method `DOFieldOfView' of type `UnityEngine.Camera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Demigiant/DOTweenPro/DOTweenAnimation.cs(295,42): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Camera' does not contain a definition for `DOOrthoSize' and no extension method `DOOrthoSize' of type `UnityEngine.Camera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Demigiant/DOTweenPro/DOTweenAnimation.cs(298,42): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Camera' does not contain a definition for `DOPixelRect' and no extension method `DOPixelRect' of type `UnityEngine.Camera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Demigiant/DOTweenPro/DOTweenAnimation.cs(301,42): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Camera' does not contain a definition for `DORect' and no extension method `DORect' of type `UnityEngine.Camera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Demigiant/DOTweenPro/DOTweenAnimation.cs(378,36): error CS1061: Type `DG.Tweening.Tween' does not contain a definition for `IsInitialized' and no extension method `IsInitialized' of type `DG.Tweening.Tween' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

20. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Pinsukka It seems you have a mix of an old version of the free DOTween and the new DOTween Pro. Did you import the whole Pro package, and then ran the setup (from Tools > DOTween Utility Panel - even if those errors have nothing to do with the setup, but just in case)? To be sure you're not mixing stuff up, delete any Demigiant/DOTween folder you have then reimport the latest DOTween Pro package (only that one, not DOTween too, since the Pro already includes the latest version of DOTween).

21. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

Hey is it possible to tween objects on a random " bezier" curve?

So basically I have objects that all go from A to B, but all objects need to tween in a random curve going outwards but all end at the same destination? Think of coins that you can pick up and then animate them to the score ui position.

22. Pinsukka

Pinsukka

It indeed was because I had two versions mixed together, thanks! But the main problem is still there. I found out that the problem isn't caused by my pooling system directly, it seems your tween engine just doesn't like when an object gets disabled and then enabled again for some reason.

I sent you a message with download link to a test project I made, it should demonstrate quite well how this problem occurs.

23. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

I think I had similar issues like this a while back.

24. meapps

meapps

Use a list of gameobjects with Curves and randomize them with enable and disabling it.

25. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

I'm sure this work around works, but i rather not do it like this. I don't want to setup any curves like that.

Somethings like this would be nice: http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/Plugins/BezierPlugin/

Basically
    Code (csharp):
    2.        DOTween.TO().SetCurve([HANDLES]);
    This would be nice.

Edit:

I guess DOLocalPath does the trick? Only support catmullrom though

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  26. Demigiant

Demigiant

@SidarVasco I have bezier curves in my todo list since a while, but I still have a lot of other things to do before I'll reach that point, so for now only catmullRom. That said, are you tweening along all 3 axes, or only 2? Because if it's only 2, I have a trick I could suggest, which wouldn't require paths at all. Let me know.

@Pinsukka Jumping to DM now!

27. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

It's for tweening inside a canvas, so 2D.
    But this is how I'm doing it currently:

Code (csharp):
    2.     public void Burst(Sprite img, float minDuration, float maxDuration, int amount, Vector3 from, Vector3 to, Ease easing, float minScale, float maxScale, bool local = true) {
    3.         for (int i = 0; i < amount; i++) {
    5.             GameObject ob = new GameObject();
    6.             ob.transform.SetParent(Holder.transform, false);
    7.             if (local) ob.transform.localPosition = from;
    8.             else
    9.             ob.transform.position = from;
    11.             ob.AddComponent<Image>().sprite = img;
    13.             float duration = Random.Range(minDuration, maxDuration);
    14.             float scale = Random.Range(minScale, maxScale);
    16.             Vector3[] path = new Vector3[3];
    17.             path[0] = from;
    18.             path[1] = new Vector3(Random.Range(from.x / 2, to.x / 2), Random.Range(from.y / 2, to.y / 2), 0);
    19.             path[2] = to;
    21.             ob.transform.localScale = new Vector3(scale, scale, 1);
    23.             if (local)
    24.                 ob.transform.DOLocalPath(path, duration, DG.Tweening.PathType.CatmullRom, PathMode.Full3D).OnComplete(() => OnDone(ob)).SetEase(easing);
    25.             else
    26.                 ob.transform.DOPath(path, duration, DG.Tweening.PathType.CatmullRom, PathMode.Full3D).OnComplete(() => OnDone(ob)).SetEase(easing);
    27.         }
    28.     }

28. Demigiant

Demigiant

@SidarVasco Mhmm ok no, the trick I had in mind doesn't work in your case. Still, you should be able to achieve what you want with CatmullRom curves. If you want the curve to be smoother, you can use a path creation logic that adds two waypoints instead than only one.

curves.png

29. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

eh sorry, I forgot to mention that the code i have does indeed work. It works exactly as I wanted it to work. I have little less control with how strong the curves go but 3 points seem to work fine.

Probably need to tweak the easing on that. ( altough the gif is running at 33 fps instead of 60 so it looks a bit wonky)

thanks for helping though

30. badawe

badawe

I'm trying to setup the Unity Cloud build too, but I can't manage Unity Cloud found the DOTween DLL properly:

Code (csharp):
    2. The type or namespace name `DG' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Anyone else able to fix this issue?

31. Pinsukka

Pinsukka

Is it possible to scale colliders with DOTween? If yes, how? I tried scaling a sphere collider with DOScale but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Is it even a good idea in the first place to scale colliders like this? I read somewhere that it is heavy on performance or something, but not quite sure if this is true.

I'm basically trying to make a blast that grows outwards and damages things on its path, so that is why I need a collider to scale along with the blast sprite graphic so that enemies can actually detect the blast.

32. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

Code (csharp):
    2. SphereCollider collider = GetComponent<SphereCollider>();
    4.                          Getter            setter     end value       duration
    5. DOTween.To( ()=> collider.radius, x=> collider.radius = x, newSizeHere, 1.0f );
    Simply tween the properties directly. No idea if there is a shortcut for this though.

33. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

If I join sequences together I get 'index out of range' from tweener, is there anyway to prevent this or can this not be done?

34. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ooops sorry ladies and gentlemen! The Unity Forums decided not to send me any mail about your last messages and I saw them only now, while I was coming here to post a new update announcement. Here I come with answers.

@SidarVasco That looks cool! :)

@badawe From that error it seems that the Cloud Build can't find DOTween's DLLs at all, but that is either a giant Unity bug (since DOTween's DLLs are very "standard" on purpose) or DOTween's DLL are not truly there. Can you tell me the passages you have to follow to add DOTween to the cloud build? Also, did you run the setup before uploading to the cloud?

@Pinsukka No shortcuts for colliders, but @SidarVasco has the solution ;) Also, you could even DOScale the transform itself, which would scale the colliders automatically. That said, scaling colliders is indeed an expensive operation, because Unity has to re-adapt it's collision setup every time, but it can be done if necessary.

@AwDogsGo2Heaven Joining Sequences together is totally possible. Can you send me a sample project that replicates your issue, so I can see what's happening?

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

NEW DOTWEEN UPDATE 1.0.750
    • NEW: Added myTween.ElapsedDirectionalPercentage
    • CHANGE: DOJump now can change the final Y too, and adds a new "jumpPower" parameter
    • Possible fix for MonoDevelop's intellisense not showing info on some DOTween methods and shortcuts
    • BUGFIX: Fixed a case where rewinding a path sometimes flipped the target

36. iamsam

iamsam

Just wanted to let you know that intellisense seems to be working very well now, not sure what the problem was (never used MonoDevelop so not sure how it works with it, but with VS its working amazingly well :))

Quick question - I have the pro version, however I usually update using the updates on the website (replacing DOTween folder) - I believe there are no special updates for pro since its using these as base libraries. Is that the correct way to update the plugin? Also can you please tell me the difference between the regular and hyper-compatible version? I apologize if the difference is mentioned on the website and I somehow missed it.

Thanks,
    Sam

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

@iamsam Glad about intellisense :)

The best way to update Pro would actually be to download the latest pro version from the private download forum (if you don't have access, follow these instructions).

About the hyper-compatible version, it exists only because of WP8.1, where there's a Unity bug which doesn't allow generic extension methods to work with Unity's own structs (Vector2/3/4, Color and Quaternion). So the HC version simply uses a kind of "wrapper" for each Unity's struct. The Unity people acknowledged the bug and said they're working on it, but in the meantime I have to maintain two versions, sigh sigh.
    That said, there is no other difference between the HC version and the regular one, and you can swap one library with the other at any time, should you need it.

38. meapps

meapps

@Izitmee have some troubles with bitbucket the project breaks always on my artist computer...

39. Demigiant

Demigiant

@meapps How did you set the serialization preferences in Unity? Are you sure the artist is getting all the files he should get? I used BitBucket and DOTween on a couple of games, and there was no issue with any member of the team.

40. meapps

meapps

Its seems to break sometimes the meta files i dont know why. I had to reimport DoTween again and again.
    I use bitbucket and DOTween for several projects with an artist.

41. Demigiant

Demigiant

@meapps Superweird! Are you running the Setup before versioning it? That is the only operation that changes DOTween's files. Also, can you send me a screenshot of your Editor Settings, to see what version control mode and serialization you're using?

42. meapps

meapps

@Izitmee Sure something in my build is broken.

43. Demigiant

Demigiant

Uhmmm I realized this must be a known bug with Unity 5's Force Text serialization (see here - Mixed mode works instead). It's not related with DOTween at all, but to general string etc serialization, and was introduced with Unity 5 (with Unity 4.6 Force Text still works correctly).

Did you try to update to Unity 5.0.2, where maybe they solved it (though it appears they didn't, at least from the bug report)?

44. meapps

meapps

@Izitmee not yet but i will today...

45. badawe

badawe

The only thing I've done is, importing DOTween, run the Setup, and commit to the server. I keep getting all this type of problems anytime I try to commit to a git, and open the project on the mac, I must copy the objects by hand, and drop on the project. I imagine this is the problem Unity Cloud is having too.

Should exist another way of dealing with that.

The easy way of reproduce this is, create new project on a Windows, Import DOTween, Execute the setup, commit this changes to a GIT server, download this GIT on a MAC, try to run the project, you get the same errors Unity Cloud have.

46. Demigiant

Demigiant

@badawe Did you see the previous answer I wrote?
    If that's the issue, sadly it's nothing I can do about since it's Unity related. I managed to reproduce the same bug with a simple empty project that just contained one class and a serialized string (which got messed up by Unity 5 Force Text serialization). So if you're using Force Text mode, I'd recommend changing it to Mixed.

47. badawe

badawe

Is on Mixed mode :( Sadly

I'll try with force binary, I know this is really strange, but even with a Mac and PC I still need to re-import DOTween to make sure the right dll is on place. :(

And I'm not using Unity 5, I'm on 4.6.5.f1

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  48. Demigiant

Demigiant

@badawe Ack! :O Can you tell me more about this issue then? You end up not having DOTween's DLLs at all when you checkout on Mac? Can you post a pic of DOTween's directory, both from Unity's Project panel and from Mac's folders, so I can see exactly what you end up with?

49. badawe

badawe

Sure, so this is my main PC, where I work most of the time, here is the DOTween folder:
    Screenshot_053115_034017_PM.jpg

This is the exactly same GIT, in a clean clone on my MAC: unnamed.png

Finder:
    unnamed (1).png

Until I erase the DOTween folder, and install a new one and do a Setup, nothing work.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  50. Demigiant

Demigiant

Mhmm the folder is definitely correct, so it seems that Unity somehow doesn't import it correctly. Can you try, instead of installing a new one and running the Setup, to simply select the DOTween folder in the Project's Panel and do an "Assets > Reimport"?