Search Unity

DOTS Visual Scripting first experimental drop

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by ans_unity, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winxalex

winxalex

@terri
    1) Visual programming should be faster (at least in prototype phase) compared to auto complete typemachining. If I need to put 3 or more Nodes and edges for (a+b) - (c+d), or what if you have a+b+c. You have Node model of just 2 inputs, so you will need 2 nodes?. Or not sure if you have Node Model for each type that can do addition, so one for float1,one for float2, one float3...type inputs... I'll simply type th code. Low level components is low efficiency not need to visual at all (waste of time, widen the graph and so on).
    3) Can we go out of Text editor and text??? It is 21st century and builders of Visual Scripting is still speaking of tracing and reading long logs. We have 60fps and unfortunately, not building office app. So if you can't record runtime game, go back in time, make changes which also can propagate in time, and you have everything visual(onion skin rendered), we are still back watching in Visual Studio text editor no matter how smart intelli sense/autocomplete it has.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. winxalex

winxalex

Great. I guess instead on Monobehaviour editor, edit can be done directly on the node.

3. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

Agreed. No node per type, just one global.

About time travelling: this is something that could benefit DOTS in general, so not a priority on our side.
    We're not talking about logs, but visualizing actual values during execution/potentially scrubbing the recorded timeline.

Not sure what you mean ?

4. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.