Search Unity

DOTS Visual Scripting Experimental Drop 8

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by ans_unity, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabrownjr

aabrownjr

In version 8, it seams as though I can no longer access many of the different variables types, things such as animation controllers, color, color32, texture, and many more, are no longer in the list of variable types that can be used.

In previous versions of the visual scripting engine, I could select these variable types in blackboard, now it seams as though there no longer in the list of variable types.

2. lclemens

lclemens

Unity - HIRE THIS GUY. Make him quit whatever he's doing and get him on the team designing the new DOTS editor mode. Get him drunk and kidnap him if necessary. You want all those kung fu ninja skills on your side fighting with your team making the best ECS game world editor in existence.

3. sandstedt

sandstedt

Will Unity abandon this tool now when they bought Bolt? And will Bolt instead be converted to a Data Oriented Programming flow? Anyone knows the future for this project?

4. Onigiri

Onigiri

Nothing changing with this tool. Bolt will be for monobehaviours only.

5. sinjinn

sinjinn

One of the devs did reply that they were going to add ECS functionality to Bolt.

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It'll be interesting to see how long that takes. Anyone wants to wager?

7. soleron

soleron

If my mind does not fail me, this is what Unity is supposed to be:

An engine which is friendly for designers, artists, and more recently architects, industrial designers, engineers, etc.

Trying to get these people who are already spending a lot of time and energy to perfect their craft into using/learning C# concepts without typing, is not really going to work. They do not care or want to learn C# or something similar.

It has not worked for any 3D software that tried to do it either. And that is mainly because programmers make these tools, and those who most frequently provide feedback for these tools or whose feedback is taken into consideration more frequently about these tools, are people who are already familiar with scripting. A self-feeding loop of like minded people.

Creative people only want to add interactivity to their scenes and make things happen WITHOUT having to think like programmers.

And this should be painted on your office walls and be on your workstation BG at all times as you work. Maybe even make a song about it. :)

They do not care about vectors they do not care about trigonometry and the only math they really care about is creating balance sheets for feature specs and economies to balance their gameplay or stage a scene with triggers.

I am not saying there should be no low level nodes, I am saying you should have started working on high level nodes and then start exposing low level nodes as requested by users.

There is nothing that I see in these screenshots that makes me want to use this tool. I already own Playmaker and Bolt.

awesomedata likes this.
  8. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

Bolt won't support DOTS/ECS, only MonoBehaviour.

TextusGames, NotaNaN and charlesb_rm like this.
  9. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

You seem to assume creative people are all alike, which isn't true at all in my experience. I also don't see your point: a balance sheet editor is unrelated to visual scripting, and staging a scene with trigger is one of our core use cases

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.