Search Unity

DOTS Visual Scripting 6th experimental drop

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by ans_unity, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awesomedata

awesomedata

This is very much a product of the UI not "communicating" well with the reader/user -- (@Unity -- see this topic).

Somebody once said -- "A game is just a database with a fancy interface."

I would agree.
    DOTS would concur as well, if it could.

Thinking along these lines -- Variants should really be more easily translated into specific instances, in order for the "prefab" workflow to be more easily communicated. For example, I had no idea that a "Variant" wasn't the gameobject instance itself -- (i.e. the instance I was supposed to be using in the world), so I created tons of variants with only VERY slight changes to their values (sprite/model, jumpheight, canjump, etc.) and had tons of these slight variations laying around (i.e. one variant with only the sprite/model and jumpheight, another variant with only the jumpheight, another variant with just sprite/model and canjump, and another variant with only the sprite/model). THIS IS TERRIBLE and really sucks when a simple template prefab (a special "variant" of a prefab with user-marked fields that can and will change) would be a LOT better to have -- especially for DOTS. You could have multiple versions of this template prefab, but you would rarely have MANY -- which is the valuable thing here, in terms of authoring AND performance. This is the one thing that drives me mad about NestedPrefabs. Please don't repeat this mistake in VisualScripts.

DOTS would handle sweeping changes of the look/feel types of behavior for me in my behavior VisualScript instance if it had a VisualScriptVariantTemplate.
    Need a new behavior that _only_ changes color, model, shader, etc.? -- Make a VisualScript "Variant" instance from a template and call it (with whatever values in whatever fields you want to change) whenever you like. Simply run it with the hard-coded authoring changes made in the Editor's hierarchy or another VisualScript. Just treat them as instances until they are converted into "templates" or into ready-to-use "drop-in" prefabs/scripts/nodes/states. Until then, make it easy to change/author them without worrying about "Applying Changes" to specific whatevers (fields/componets/etc.)

Variant Instances

The TemplateScript could be a Variant that reference fields from a "ready-to-use" PrefabScript, but instead of directly changing these fields (i.e. model component / sprite component / size / color / etc.), it simply marks certain fields as changeable, leaving the others "immutable" -- this lets you reference (and chunk) only one instance of the locked data, while processing MUCH smaller chunks of data (that actually changes) in particularly complex gameobject-based entities. These would be known as "Variant Instances" -- These would simply let less processing take place because data has been pre-filtered via the user's input (rather than using searching tags for chunks, as we currently do for Entities). This would let more efficient script systems be built on top of (entity-level) systems -- which I don't think @Unity is doing right now.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong on this though, @ans_unity -- I would really love some clarification.

Anyway, these "Variant Instances" would allow one to very easily author a complex StateMachine system (like the one described here) using a purely template-based (gameobject/nestedprefab/variant-styled) workflow. You'd just use TemplateNodes that have a particular type of property/system associated with them that can be used as an argument provided to it when executing one of these nodes after calling it in another VisualScript (and providing it arguments to specify the field value).

NotaNaN likes this.
  2. randomdragon

randomdragon

My unity version : 2020.1.0a24
    There are two errors after I install the package,
    CONSOLE.png
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.visualscripting.entities@0.2.3-preview\Editor\ComponentEditor\ComponentEditor.cs(228,55): error CS0117: 'ScrollView' does not contain a definition for 'hViewportVariantUssClassName'
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.visualscripting.entities@0.2.3-preview\Editor\ComponentEditor\ComponentEditor.cs(227,55): error CS0117: 'ScrollView' does not contain a definition for 'hContentVariantUssClassName'

which are in ComponentEditor.cs. ORI.png
    NOW.png

After I delete these lines ,the errors disappear.

3. Noskyred

Noskyred

Hi, I don't if anyone has reported this: If the name of componet is changed, it will broken the visual script references.

Ideia of how automatize the name fix::
    If could be mappped the visual script references as index that uses the file name, so if I change the name of the component, it will automatically fix the references inside the script.

4. Noskyred

Noskyred

Hi, Can anyone tell me why the commands are making a diagonally moviment.

Obs.: It is the same script of the Roll a Ball without the clamp and instead of Z axis, I am using Y.

Attached Files:

5. Noskyred

Noskyred

SOLVED.

6. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

Both of your input values are on the Horizontal axis, there's no input on the Vertical axis :)

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.visualscripting.entities@0.2.3-preview\Runtime\TracingRecorderSystem.cs(143,21): error CS0120: An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'ComponentSystemBase.Time'
    Getting this error when trying to use the package with Unity 2019.3.3f1. Is there anyway to fix it or a location I can find an Updated version?

createtheimaginable likes this.
  8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

@ans_unity Still waiting for an answer to this issue....

9. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

you'll have to give us more details there. also note that we said we validated only for 2019.3.0f3 , that being said I was able to open it in 3f1 without issues.

as mentioned earlier in the thread too, there is no update for this specific version of DOTS-VisualScripting.

10. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Wow, thank you for the amazing tutorial and explanation of how Neural Nets can be used with Dots.

Question: In terms of workflow in production, the video at time 15:41 (
    )
    suggests that building and training of the network should be done with Tensor flow. How then to use the trained network with Unity.

Cheers

11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

There are no other details or errors just that. I installed all the package into a New Empty Project,. So I have No Idea why it is throwing the error. And it is Obviously NOT Verified if a Blank Install throws an Error.

12. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

They didn't say it was verified, they said it was validated for 2019.3.0f3, this whole system is in experimental preview, it's not even in a regular preview package stage so bugs and issues are expected :)

13. wilson_p

wilson_p

you can try Unity ML Agents
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ml-agents
    It's a machine learning framework of Unity

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

After installing the package, it doesn't show the DOTS tab, how to fix?

15. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

16. Kai_Gil

Kai_Gil

Howdy folks,

Super invested in these solutions, as a designer (+ secret dev) it's really great to see the Unity team get behind visualising data-oriented structures. Very hard to communicate some things to more art / creative driven colleagues and this is a great way to expose some of the thinking to them!

One question I'm really keen to ask (as I am a little unclear on how DOTS works between it's packages) is how to integrate the current preview Physics package and the Visual Scripting package so I can make use of the node structure for tailoring a physics system. What are the steps to doing this?

The fact that the two don't seem to be friends at the moment make me sad!

17. DeepShader

DeepShader

BTW: Will DOTS Visual Scripting stay uncolored/grey in the final version or will it get the much much more useful color-touch like it looked in the first presentation (like such us Unreal Blueprints or BOLT 2)?

18. Onigiri

Onigiri

When new drop?

19. awesomedata

awesomedata

I didn't see the original "color-touch" you're referring to here -- does anybody have a screenshot?

Honestly, while not disgusting to look at, both BOLT and Unreal's blueprints are too colorful.
    The eye gets lost easily, which is really painful when you're simply trying to understand your graph at-a-glance.

I would like to see color used in more of a utilitarian way (i.e. as described here in this thread).

20. OleDemocrat

OleDemocrat

createtheimaginable and Onigiri like this.
  21. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

Arghhhhh, I'm so excited! :D:D:D

sinjinn and createtheimaginable like this.
  22. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

spaceemotion, Tanner555 and toomasio like this.
  23. DeepShader

DeepShader

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/438013600821673994/507332181409005578/unknown.png

Have a look on the colored blocks. For example for "if"

Maybe it looks to colorful, if you look on a screenshot of someone else Blueprint, but if you are working with it, it is so much better for your eyes/brain to see what happens, because the contrast helps to find things.

If you are looking on your desk and there are 20 gray folders, I'm pretty sure you'll need much more time to find the right one. If they are colored, you'll find it much faster. Same thing happens on a big visual structure. Nothing is fast as colors for something like that.

Have a look at BOLT v2 (in alpha), it is so much cleaner in comparison to version 1 and it's still colorful just because of that.

All the grey stuff in Unity is soooo ineffective, because if I need to find something, I've to read the whole structure, because it is not possible to detect the needed part directly via colors.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

where I get the unity 2019.3.5f1?

25. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

27. awesomedata

awesomedata

Does anybody still have the download or a link for drop 6?

28. maximusadeola

maximusadeola

can anyone make a simple instruction video on how to get this Visual Scripting please i'm new to C# and its complicated

29. UsmanMemon

UsmanMemon

yes I have

30. Stunger

Stunger

I have a question how I can install the DOTS i don't now where is dependencies and where i can put them, i find the json manifesr but cna you telle me how I can paste the "dependencies": {"com.unity.visualscripting.entities" : "0.2.3-preview"}
    in the json manifest, here is what it shows :

{
    "dependencies": {
    "com.unity.ads": "2.0.8",
    "com.unity.analytics": "3.2.2",
    "com.unity.collab-proxy": "1.2.15",
    "com.unity.package-manager-ui": "2.0.7",
    "com.unity.purchasing": "2.0.3",
    "com.unity.textmeshpro": "1.4.1",
    "com.unity.modules.ai": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.animation": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.assetbundle": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.audio": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.cloth": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.director": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imageconversion": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imgui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.jsonserialize": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.particlesystem": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.physics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.physics2d": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.screencapture": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.terrain": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.terrainphysics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.tilemap": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.ui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.uielements": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.umbra": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unityanalytics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequest": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestassetbundle": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestaudio": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequesttexture": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestwww": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.vehicles": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.video": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.vr": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.wind": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0"
    }
    }

So thanks to help me to install it ! =)

31. UsmanMemon

UsmanMemon

exactly replace this "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0" line with "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0","com.unity.visualscripting.entities" : "0.2.3-preview"

32. UsmanMemon

UsmanMemon

or just add a comma then paste "com.unity.visualscripting.entities" : "0.2.3-preview" btw there is a latest version of visual scripting drop 9. with drop 10 comming this week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.