Search Unity

DOTS supported platforms

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by libra34567, Feb 5, 2020.

1. libra34567

libra34567

Hello guys, I'm currently learning to implement and convert my game to DOTS for greater performance etc. (It's a bullet hell game with overwelming ammount of bullets flying arround)

I wonder which platforms does DOTS currently support? Or will support in the future? I google a bit but can't seems to find out any info regarding it.

I'm mainly going for switch, PS4, Xbox, PC/Mac, and possibly stadia.

Any info or link would be much appreciated

2. Lee200

Lee200

Wondering the same question. From this page, it seems DOTS supports major platforms. But I cant find any official statements on it.

3. gwelkind

gwelkind

Bump, also looking for this information.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is answered in the DOTS forum and in DOTS documentation..... I will move the thread there.

5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

upload_2022-7-28_9-46-1.png
    Given that this is on said page you can assume those are supported platforms.

Note that DOTS is essentially comprised of four systems, in order of importance (lower packages builds on the former ones):
    • Job System
    • Burst Compiler
    • Entities
    • Hybrid Renderer
    If you're looking specifically in the Entities manual, you'll find those:
    upload_2022-7-28_9-46-46.png

Since Entities builds upon Burst/Jobs it is safe to assume the above platforms are guaranteed to be supported by the entire DOTS toolchain.

Regarding Burst compiler specifically you can find compatibility infos in the manual, not stating anything along the line of "does not support platform xxx" these are more caveats to consider like "iOS builds on Windows do not use Burst":
    The Job System is in the Unity manual, and it does not specify any platforms it does not support, therefore we can assume it is supported on all platforms that Unity supports.

The only known platform that is not (fully) supported by DOTS is WebGL. Project Tiny is recommended for DOTS on the Web since Hybrid Renderer (used with Entities) does not support WebGL anymore. WebGL multithreading support is not yet available as of April 2022.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    libra34567 and WAYNGames like this.