Search Unity

Official DOTS Sample

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by benjaminhwh, Dec 18, 2019.

1. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

Others already mentioned, but just to be clear: 0.11 is latest version supported on 2019.4 LTS, newer version (including the latest) requires 2020.1 or later

2. toomasio

toomasio

It's November. Is this still happening or is Unity waiting on new tools to show off?

3. TarikLarbaoui

TarikLarbaoui

Trying to make sense of everything. The ECSSample project appears to use old packages. If you try updating the Burst/Hybrid Renderer/Burst packages you get a few errors that are above my paygrade upload_2020-11-10_14-13-14.png

So my question is, should I also use those "old" packages or is there somewhere I can learn how to use the newer ones?

Edit : Just realised there is a pinned thread on this forum called "'Samples repository and Packages updates" that was getting regularly updated until September 2019, then the updates stopped. What happened there?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

As with any tutorials, always use same Unity and packages, as per tutorial.
    Dots samples are not meant to be compatible with latest dots packages, but with most stable and accessible for many. So in this case staying with older tested packages which are compatible with Unity 2019 as well.

If you work with latest preview, I would assume you you know differences with older packages. So technically you could modify self samples, to work with latest.

5. Bizow

Bizow

Has anyone successfully deployed the linux server build? I've in the past been able to deploy a linux build and connect but I can't get the dots build to run. I'm by no means a linux expert so I might be missing something simple. I've created the build from the project build settings folder and not the build settings. I then zipped the files and transferred to the server unziped and chmod -x on the executable. Then when I try to execute with ./DotsSample and I get:

Set current directory to /Linux-Server
    Found path: /Linux-Server/DotsSample

After this nothing happens. I do notice that the other way of created a server build always ends the executable with .x86_64 and the new dots build is missing that.

Thanks,
    Derrick

6. OneAndOneIsTwo

OneAndOneIsTwo

If there is anyone out there that is also using this sample and would like to share knowledge let me know ;} I am working with it.

Ryuuguu likes this.
  7. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

I am looking at what it will take to bring it up to date to 2020.x using latest DOTS packages

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

With DOTS 1.0 at the door, might be worth waiting for a bit or you will have to redo everything again.

Ryuuguu likes this.
  9. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

Thanks do you have a link to an announcement about DOTS 1.0?

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There's no announcement but subtle hints like this PR: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/pull/6071
    This got merged on Graphics git master 16 days ago.

11. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

I hope you're right but it also could just mean they decided on aspect DOTS they feel is now stable. I just got a reply from a DOTS asset builder that netcode was broken somewhere around 2020.3.18f LTS having an LTS break code does not sound like DOTS features are a priority across the board yet. On the plus side, I also see that lots of parts needed to build DOTS-Sample with the latest packages are already available from 3rdparty sources so it does not look it will be as much work as I expected to build a DOTS-Sample equivalent.

12. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

If I recall the NetCode break is due to a change in how safety checks with native arrays work. The thing that broke is just an assert that isn't really needed. You can just make netcode a local package, comment out the offending line, and you're good to go. Although the NetCode team has not released an official patch (just as the other packages), the NetCode devs have been really good about posting fixes to issues that have been posted. So, although you have to put the patches in yourself, NetCode works fine in 2020.318f+. Also note that the devs have indicated that Unity's internal progress of the NetCode package is way farther along than what has been released to the public.

Lukas_Kastern likes this.
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have been looking at the 3 below samples for DOTS

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/DOTS-training-samples
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/DOTSSample
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/UniteAustinTechnicalPresentation

but nothing seems to work out of the box, making them rather useless.

I would like to resume some rather failed older attempts because of the changing landscape, is the system now ever changing radically like before with extreme breaking changes, or is now more stable and can work with knowing wont break completely and in a non transferable way in next versions ?

Also are there any latest samples of big battles etc using the system, is it still bringing any benefits to other optimization methods after all the changes etc

Also will the Hybrid URP renderer be supported with instanced shaders in Unity 2021 and forward, because this is where i was stuck last time, seemed the whole system was just abandoned in new Unity.

Thanks a lot in advance for any insight on the above.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

@nasos_333 Are you using compatible Unity version and packages?

nasos_333 likes this.
  15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Yes, sure, the issue had arised when i tried to port the code to later Unity versions and after months of contact with support, we understood that just Unity stopped any support for the hydrid renderer in Unity 2021 and forth, if i remember right.

So the whole project was halted, as i planned this to be a store asset, and thus is completely useless if works only on very specific unity version for that purpose.

Deleted User likes this.
  16. Graghma

Graghma

I wouldn't bother. About a month old now but not in a place anyone would look to see, if you've been following this thread at all. Basically, we're getting another clean slate replacement to the FPS...errr DOTS Sample (called DOTS Shooter). They've also committed to keeping it updated this time. I totally get being skeptical about this. I'm inclined to believe them since with how much DOTS has evolved over the past years, being able to convert from the our old versions would delay development even more with not enough to gain for most people. Sucks for us that may have stuff we'd want to bring over, but honestly we had been told this was likely to be the case from the start (as in - experimental features should expect deprecated code until a stable version is out). Most core aspects of DOTS was in experimental when released soooo
    Also they are smart to try and make it as a template/starting point for this type of game. It would be a great selling point for competing with Unreal and starting point for many/most projects of this type. So there's a clear $ reason they'd follow through and $ is what makes things happen.

Link is to the commit to keep it updated, but there's a lot more in the original post so scroll up
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/dot...ilestones-december-2021.1209727/#post-7724143