Search Unity

DOTS Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by Sylmerria, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Hi guys,

Did you have any information during the unite about the DOTS render pipeline introduced during the keynote ?

I'm very curious about the purpose, time window, etc

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

It was released 7 months ago. Improvements are being released with each package update.

Thygrrr likes this.
  3. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Hi @Joachim_Ante,

Do you speaking of hybrid rendering package ? Because I stayed on the idea that Package was temporary, waiting for a better solution.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Orimay and learc83 like this.
  4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Yes. The hybrid rendering package is here to say. We used it on megacity and it clearly demonstrated it's strengths there.

Curious to hear what gave you the impression that it's not something here to stay?

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  5. SubPixelPerfect

SubPixelPerfect

Hi @Joachim_Ante
    This was said almost a year ago:
    But unfortunately to set shader properties per instance is not something you can do right now without forking RenderMeshSystemV2, please correct me if i'm wrong.

This is the only thing that stopping me right now from starting to use DOTS in production

Sarkahn, JesOb, Orimay and 1 other person like this.
  6. sngdan

sngdan

V2 has taken some of the rendering to engine side, I don’t think you can add the instance color anymore, or at least not as easy as in v1.

With DMII (drawmesindirectinstanced) you can achieve this quite easily at the cost of loosing V2 features.

If I find time next weekend, I will put a system up in the old 2D thread where we experimented with sprite rendering, this has 3 implementations of DMII, but I found them to be complicated and too focused on stress testing. I left a concept idea in the thread that I never implemented, maybe next weekend

learc83 likes this.
  7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

DOTS Instancing with Shader Graph is being worked on. In the latest version, you can find options to enable it (Actually the DOTS Instancing option has been in shader graph for a while now) Hybrid Instanced is what's new and for each property created.

upload_2019-9-29_0-55-2.png

Don't know if they actually do anything yet as I don't code but not too long ago some updates showed up on Github - https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/commits/dots-instancing

As far as I know, the Hybrid Render just converts mesh to their ECS representation with the proper components needed so that just sits on top of HDRP, URP, (and probably Custom SRPs)

siggigg likes this.
  8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

instance material property overrides are part of the next entities / hybrid renderer release.

9. SubPixelPerfect

SubPixelPerfect

Awesome news

10. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

From the name firstly, since 2 years "hybrid" is the adjective for temporary module waiting "pure" rewritten module.( maybe rename it to DOTS renderer package so ?)
    And from conversions here and there because this package was made for megacity with a specific logic in mind ( loading data from subscenes) which no covers not all cases ( procedural for example)

Ivan-Pestrikov likes this.
  11. SubPixelPerfect

SubPixelPerfect

it is in fact hybrid as long as it uses objects for models and materials

12. sngdan

sngdan

GilCat likes this.
  13. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

@Grimreaper358 @Joachim_Ante is this feature still present in Unity 2020.3 Shadergraphs? I still see options for GPU instancing but not for DOTS Instancing.

BeerCanAI likes this.