Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

DOTS Physics and determinism

Discussion in 'Physics Previews' started by PsycHead, Mar 19, 2019.

1. PsycHead

PsycHead

Hello all,
    I've been looking into the new Unity Physics documentation and one thing stood out to me:
    Now I've researched cross platform/architecture physics determinism in the past and came to the conclusion, that it's not possible using floats in Unity, which is why I decided to create my own fixed point physics system.

Question: How can we understand that determinism claim? Is the DOTS Physics system supposed to be deterministic on one machine or do you take any steps in the burst compiler to ensure cross processor and architecture float operation determinism?

2. echeg

echeg

Same question.
    We use simple self 2d AABB+ physics based on fixed point math.
    We need determenism between divecies and patform (ios\android)
    May we switch to DOTS Physics engine?

3. PsycHead

PsycHead

By the way, for now the system seems to actually run in the frame rate dependent update loop, so it is by design anything but deterministic. I am pretty sure that is subject to change, but for now it makes little sense to evaluate it in this regard.

4. proepke

proepke

5. echeg

echeg

We use "ticks"
    I think manulay run physic step with custom "delta time" enough to solve this problem (if math itself determ)

6. PsycHead

PsycHead

Yes, I remember reading that a few months ago and I guess it can work as long as the floats are never assigned by regular floats from non-burst compiled code.
    I hope they pull it off, but this comes with many, many question marks attached. Would be nice to hear about the progress on this.

I guess you are talking about your own in house solution? Yes, that is the standard procedure if you want to achieve any kind of reliable physics.

7. echeg

echeg

8. JoeOfTex

JoeOfTex

Unity Physics is not deterministic, yet, at least not 100%.

Here is a sample where I created 6 columns of 5 spheres. Each column should bounce exactly the same. In the example gif we can see this is not the case.

(Test #1)
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TerrificDizzyDairycow.webp

However, if I repeat the process, we can compare the two and see if it its consistent across runs.
    (Test #2)
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnlightenedGargantuanAdder.webp

To be 100% deterministic the results should be the same no matter the coordinates.

It's hard for me to tell with this example. Perhaps we need something more dramatic. But this example, does show differences between the columns that are identical. This may have major effects in something like racing games, where user on left side might experience slightly different physics than the user on right side.

EDIT: I can't seem to embed the gfycat gifs, sorry!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  9. echeg

echeg

I think determenism is:
    Same Input -> simulation -> Same output.
    If you change coordinates its not same input

illinar, rizu and Guerro323 like this.