Search Unity

DOTS packages

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by andreicfsteaua, Mar 21, 2020.

1. andreicfsteaua

andreicfsteaua

Hi, i am heavily focused on learning DOTS and creating a special type of game which would be almost impossible without using DOTS. Does anybody know any ETAs for each DOTS package(stable version)?
    I am interested in every single one rendering, audio, multiplayer, entities, physics being the main ones.

2. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

If by "stable" you mean "production ready" then unfortunately the Entities package won't be ready for at least another year, but more likely two. (It is in a very usable state right now, though).

As for the other packages; Rendering is going to get updates sometime this year, but it won't have all of Unity's Mono features for a good while (and there is nothing planned for 2D yet as far as I am aware). Physics doesn't have an out-of-preview estimate yet, but if you're willing to do the legwork to learn how it works it has a good number of features that should suffice. (Although I don't know your requirements)
    As far as Audio is concerned, I have literally no idea. Originally Audio was being worked on from since March of 2019, but it seems to have stopped completely. They do not have an ETA according to one of the most recent posts, and I do not know its current usability state (since I have never tried to use it), so I'd just say... No. :(

3. andreicfsteaua

andreicfsteaua

Thank you, I remember from a unite talk(i think it was the roadmap) that in 2020.1 entities will be production ready and I was hoping all major packages will be at least well rounded(if not fully completed) by the end of this year. This is quite dissapointing :( since my game idea was a 1st person RTS similarly to mount and blade but with more emphasis on strategy and higher troop numbers, that's why DOTS seemed to be the holy grail for me. How high is at the moment the cost for working with monobehaviours for audio and UI?

4. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

I may have missed the talk on the Entities production-ready estimate, so you might have more accurate information on that. But as far as the rest of DOTS features are concerned, much of it still screams "preview" unfortunately. That being said; theoretically you could create a prototype of your idea with the features DOTS currently has. Doing so could prove useful (such as finding potential pitfalls!), and would give you a head-start on your game. Do so at your own discretion!

That is difficult to say. I have not worked with hybrid UI extensively, but it is relatively straightforward and shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Audio is definitely possible. I handle audio by creating GameObjects that play the desired sound and then get destroyed. The real question is -- will hybrid UI and Audio become a bottleneck? I can't say... I have not had a problem so far, but my project is still young! (Do note that AudioClips are not blittable. You will have to use a Managed IComponentData OR a pre-loaded enum sound dictionary thingy).

Also, it is worth noting that doing anything in DOTS / DOTS Hybrid will take longer to do than with Mono... Or at least take longer before you can exploit the benefits of DOTS and the systems you create.
    Of course, if you just love the Data-Oriented-Architecture like I do, then you should be fine despite the downsides. (The only reason I would ever go back to Mono-land is for its prototyping speed).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. andreicfsteaua

andreicfsteaua

NotaNaN likes this.