Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Official DOTS: get in touch with the teams behind it!

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by LaurentGibert, May 9, 2023.

1. officialfonee

officialfonee

Hello everyone! It is great to finally meet some of the insane talent behind these tools. Just wanted to show my deep appreciation to the team behind DOTS. DOTS has largely nurtured my skills as a programmer and is really responsible for where I am today. So, it really is exciting to see the tool I literally grew up on finally being recognized. Thank you all for your hard work, keep it up!

On another note, one thing that I have not seen mentioned for a while is DSPGraph! Are there any plans around audio and DOTS that might be new or developing?

daniel-holz and Antypodish like this.
  2. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

Hi @cecarlsen, I was involved in the choices made around the integration of Bolt in Unity. You are absolutely right, our visual scripting work based on ECS was ambitious, and we favored instead a focused integration of Bolt in the editor. There are a few factors that weighed in that decision: at the time it was a little bit unpredictable when would DOTS be supported in Unity, and we had a track record of starting many things in parallel and struggling to deliver any of those. So for once, we had decided we would focus on one step at a time, and in this case, making a good integration of that acquisition in Unity and stabilizing the ECS foundation before moving on to the next step.

Now, visual scripting, or let's put it into a larger concept, high-level gameplay assembling accessible to designers, would be particularly powerful in a data-oriented workflow. This is definitely something we want to get back to.

In the meantime, studios are doing their own visual scripting integrations based on ECS, and we're watching those experiments with high interest. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, in our GDC ECS Dev Summit session, Sunblink Entertainment CTO Justin Larrabee explains how they took Playmaker, and customized it to make their entire ECS-based gameplay accessible to their designers, without having them know about ECS. Quite impressive! Another example is Stunlock Studios in our live stream on V Rising where lead developers Rasmus Höök and Fredrik Haraldsson presented their custom visual scripting solution based on ECS.

Let us know what you think!

3. PolarTron

PolarTron

The modularity of DOTS would fit extremely well into a visual scripting framework.

Even a read-only overview of job scheduling and their performance as a node graph would go a long way. I keep drawing graphs in my notepad but it gets more difficult as the project grows.

4. jonathan-hertz

jonathan-hertz

Unity Technologies

Heya, Jonathan here

I'm the QA in charge of Netcode for Entities, making sure that we are battle-testing it for all of you. I'm working on stuff like CI infrastructure, test strategy, internal bug handling for the team, and lots more. I started in DOTS as a student worker making small projects to give feedback to the DOTS devs on how a more inexperienced developer would approach DOTS. Some great initiatives started from that, and we still have student workers doing the same job.

I also like to make games in my free time, and have made games for about 12 years now. Game jams are usually the highlights of my year, they're a ton of fun. My education is in game design and digital design, but that doesn't stop me from being technical and hands on. It's also a strength as a QA, as I tend to look at all the details.

5. optimise

optimise

Any plan to make internal mobile samples to battle test dots netcode? Currently looks like official fully focus at desktop platform. I would like official to invest more at mobile platform that currently the performance at mobile platform is still really slow specially at dots netcode.

6. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I think both examples, Justin’s Playmaker extension and Stunlock’s sequence editor, are great examples of how extensible the Editor is, by all means brilliant work. However, Justin does mention performance issues, and the sequence editor does seem to be very problem specific. It’s great that you are observing the ideas popping up in the under forest – perhaps some day the accumulated knowledge could amount to a foundation for a more general solution.

I find it a misconception that visual scripting is for designers and code is for engeneers. Perhaps because I myself is somewhat in-between those roles, perhaps not. In any case, I think that the future is for systems in which users move seamlessly between node and code. Examples are VVVV, Nodes and Tooll3. Non of Unity’s VS tools take that approach. Both VFXGraph and ShaderGraph introduced custom nodes as an after thought, and last time I checked you write your executable code as C# strings. Each perspective, as graph and as text, has their strengths and weaknesses in a given context. For example, graphs become non-sensical when you have high granularity, and code becomes difficult to comprehend when you have a complex flow of events.

I understand the decision of limiting the amount of unfinished projects happening simultaneously, and the foundation of DOTS was perhaps also not in place. I just saw it as an amazing opportunity to finally get it right. Happy to hear it is something you eventually want to get back to. Perhaps sometime in the future when the construction dust settles a bit.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  7. optimise

optimise

I would like u to put more resources to battle test mobile platform as currently is really slow at mobile platform. You can have a look at case IN-37258.

jonathan-hertz likes this.
  8. Wattosan

Wattosan

Can we at some point in the future expect Netcode for Entities to support MMO style games, i.e. having hundreds if not thousand of players in a single instance of a world? Is it even something to expect from the Netcode for Entities solution?

9. optimise

optimise

I really want to get dots visual scripting tool very soon as it's one of the essential missing tooling. I would to know when official will resume dots visual scripting development again? Do I need to wait for game object visual scripting finish first before can start dots visual scripting?

10. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone! I'm Isaac Seah, Senior Product Manager working with the DOTS team for the past year and a half! I've had the pleasure of interacting with many of you over the past year, especially since our quarterly release cadence of experimental ECS packages, and more recently, our pre-release ECS packages across 2022 and 2023.

My background is in computer science and architecture, where I've built applications with Unity, focusing on games, architectural visualizations in VR, and generative design for large worlds.

As a product manager on the DOTS team, I've had the joy of absorbing much of your heartfelt and honest feedback in these forums with each release made available and wanted to also take this opportunity to thank all of you for that! As Laurent mentioned, we're still super focused on shipping the final version of ECS for Unity 2022 LTS, but I'm super excited about all the cool things that will be built with ECS for Unity in the upcoming months and years! Can't wait! :)

11. SteveM_Unity

SteveM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all! I'm not on the DOTS team at all, I just came to gatecrash the party and pose as one of the cool kids. :)

More seriously, I'm a Senior Software Engineer (and formerly, a Senior Software Development Consultant), and I work on a customer-facing team within the Accelerate Solutions organisation. That means I've contributed technical advice and/or code to over 50 customer projects. A fair few of those have been DOTS projects, going back to some of the early adopters in 2018/2019. As a result of the things I learned during those experiences with customer projects I wrote the DOTS Best Practices guide, which I've maintained since 2020. Although I'm not on the DOTS team specifically, I work pretty closely with a lot of these fine folks to clarify information and advice, and every time I have a reason to get my hands dirty with DOTS projects I tend to stumble across obscure edge-case bugs or performance regressions and then I annoy the team about them until we get fixes.

As for my background, I've been making games as an indie dev for 30+ years, and as my full-time job for 20. I've done big budget console games, F2P mobile games, interactive museum installations and most things in-between. I'm a generalist by trade, with a preference for gameplay programming and a passion for optimization. I've been at Unity trying to make customers' games go faster for about 5 1/2 years.

12. CiroContns

CiroContns

Unity Legend

Very nice to see everyone in the same thread. Go DOTS team! I'm still waiting for the chance to get back to it after I was preparing presentations about it during the end of 2019 (yep, haven't touched it since!). Looking forward to get a reason to do it!

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Hey all! You might know me from other parts of the forums, often helping with IL2CPP and Mono issues.

My current role at Unity is Engineering Manager for .NET Compilers and Runtimes, where I support the .NET VM Team (Mono/CoreCLR/IL2CPP) as well as the Burst Team.

Please reach out to use on the Burst forum with any issues related to Burst - I'll be happy to engage and help you work through issues.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    Samsle, spryx, Elringus and 35 others like this.
  14. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi folks! I'm Tim - I've been at Unity a little over 4 years now, and I've had the pleasure of working on Burst for all of that time in various roles.

Before I joined Unity I worked outside the game industry, so I don't have an impressive list of game titles to share like folks before me in this thread :) Most recently before Unity, I worked in the assistive technology field. Outside of work I enjoy coming up with excuses to write compilers.

Myself and the other folks working on Burst are pretty active over in the Burst forum - we're quite friendly, please don't hesitate to ask your Burst questions over there.

15. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone! My name is Jussi Knuuttila, and I'm a Senior Graphics Engineer working mostly on the Entities Graphics package and related technologies such as the BatchRendererGroup API. I have been at Unity for almost 4 years, and in the games industry for about 11 years.

I'm an optimization guy, and at Unity I've worked a lot on creating the new BatchRendererGroup. It's a high performance path for doing instanced draw calls from Burst, both for big ECS rendering workloads, and for fast custom rendering by interested Unity users. Outside of graphics I'm also interested in all other kinds of code optimization, and programming languages in general.

Before Unity I worked for Ubisoft, where I worked on several PC+Console games, such as games in the Trials franchise.

16. jasonboukheir3

jasonboukheir3

This thread put a smile on my face. I love hearing your stories! As a small-time dev, they make me even more excited to work with DOTS, hoping I can someday spend the majority of my time building tools that enable it.

A couple things I personally want to see:
    - MOAR Burst compatible IO. Networking, Files, etc..
    - Burst compatible coroutines

Though if you guys don't build them, more for me to build and publish on the Asset Store!

rdjadu likes this.
  17. joepl

joepl

Unity Technologies

Hey all, I'm Joel and I'm a Lead on Entities.

I've been at Unity for almost 6 years. I started working with the XR group in Seattle, and then moved to Copenhagen 4 years ago to help out with DOTS. It has been really cool to see how it has developed over the years and how people have been using it out in the wild. It has also been fantastic to work with such a talented team spanning multiple continents.

Before Unity, I worked on interactive installations as well as a 10 year stint in the game industry. As part of DOTS, I've been responsible for a lot of changes to Entities.ForEach, and some of you may remember me from design discussions for IJobEntity, the new Transform system and ISystem. Compilers and programming languages are my pet hobbies, but working with others on DOTS and the Entities API has been my passion for the last long while.

Samsle, rdjadu, saskenergy and 32 others like this.
  18. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r

Hello all! Seeing all the faces of DOTS here is exciting! Learning about you all and imagining your journeys to get to work on ECS is welcome and fantastic! I've engaged with DOTS since the 0.1.7 version and up, and I love seeing the changes made by you all, thank you for them!

I've seen it mentioned here multiple times that multiplayer is intended to be core for DOTS, so I'd love to ask something that I've been chasing an answer for back in 0.5 again... Is there any future where we can see multiple worlds support with the Entities Graphics package? I'd love to be able to switch between worlds I see on the fly for multiple parallel simulations (such as instanced dungeon worlds running at the same time). It's how I imagined DOTS netcode would work from the start - with the ability to switch and see how each client's world simulation looks. Sadly, I found out that you cannot render multiple worlds, nor switch between which world is rendered. There was a post mentioning that it was targeted for 2021, but as of now it's still a future feature?

Again - extremely exciting! Thank you all for the work on DOTS, all! Entrusting a more performant future in Unity where we can easily author multiplayer content, is a dream I love holding onto and seeing to fruition!

19. scott-williams

scott-williams

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone! My name is Scott and I'm a senior engineer in DOTS Kernel.

I came into Unity to work on Project Tiny and DOTS Runtime after 13 years in a large, well known (in Japan, not so much here in the US) photonics semiconductor company. While there, I had the opportunity to approach problems from the PCB design level all the way to the user application and experience level using principles that have been pioneered and fine tuned predominantly from the games industry (my personal interest). The accolades and recognition from this brought me to being a part of a rapid hardware-only design team in California, which while interesting to learn, isn't my cup of tea.

Then I found myself at Unity among the extremely talented Project Tiny and DOTS Runtime folks! Over the last 4 years, I've had the amazing experience to work on core DOTS-everything concepts, ECS ISystem fundamentals, I get to poke at the Burst compiler here and there (love compiler architecture and design), the Unity job system, and especially improve and optimize the jobs debugger, among many other super interesting areas. I look forward to continuing helping the amazing teams in and out of DOTS make Unity an effective, super efficient, and even fun-to-use experience for everyone here.

20. JBirdUnity

JBirdUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello Everyone. My name is Jessica and I'm a Senior Program Manager on the DOTS team. Part of my role is to help the team plan and release on schedule which is always easier said than done. I've been at Unity for over 3 years now and it's been great to part of something so groundbreaking. My favorite part is getting to see what people build with all these new tools so it is exciting to know that all this hard work will continue to live on for so long!

21. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

This thread is great thanks guys and gals, for the insights into who’s who on the team. Cheers

DaxodeUnity, jmankin and Antypodish like this.
  22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

For me as a game designer the only way I would ever be able to use Dots is via Playmaker, I hope that unity will provide playmaker actions for ECS / DOTS.

In this video it was mentioned that ECS Playmaker actions were researched.

23. cort_of_unity

cort_of_unity

Unity Technologies

Well I'm Cort, and I joined Unity in 2018 as an engineer on the DOTS team (but it wasn't even called DOTS yet). I've been all over the runtime side of the Entities package, and have at various points made significant contributions to EntityManager, EntityCommandBuffers, ComponentSystemGroups & hierarchical system sorting, ICustomBootstrap, fixed-timestep system updates, EntityQuery, IJobChunk, IJobEntity, debugger type proxies, enableable components, ComponentTypeHandles, ComponentLookup/BufferLookup, ArchetypeChunk, the transform systems...I'm probably missing a few, but you get the idea. Ain't nothing more satisfying than finding new ways to practice the DOD we preach inside the Entities codebase, organizing & iterating over data to keep overhead low and throughput high.

I've always worked in games, but rarely on games; my previous roles include ~15 years at Sony and Google working on platform-level graphics technology for the PlayStation 3 (SPUs! shufb for life!), PlayStation 4 (I rendered the very first textured triangle on a machine that could arguably be called a PS4, and I know what the "gnm" in libgnm stands for), and Stadia (RIP). My goal in life is to build high-performance foundations that enable brilliant developers to make amazing stuff I could never imagine on my own; by that metric, DOTS is a pretty great place to be!

To all the folks chiming it to say how refreshing it is to see the DOTS team popping up in this thread to say hello: the feeling is very, very mutual! The extended silence between 0.17 and 0.50 was just as difficult for us as it was for you; we thrive on your feedback and your creations. I hope that this thread and the (recent? imminent?) release of Entities 1.0 is a testament that we are legion, our commitment never wavered, our enthusiasm remains high, and that we'll have a lot more to share in the future!

24. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Fantastic to hear, thank you for sharing this optimism.

apkdev and DaxodeUnity like this.
  25. OndrejP

OndrejP

Glad to see so much passion around DOTS development in the Unity team!

I have a question related to modding and DOTS. Consider simple "MonoBehaviour" workflow where modders build Asset Bundle with prefabs, which is then loaded at runtime.

I've read about content delivery in DOTS, but I'm not sure about data compatibility. With Asset Bundles and GameObjects, I can load bundles built with "older version" of the project and it works - unless there are serious breaking changes like deleted scripts. I can add/remove/delete fields etc. As far as I understand, this is thanks to the Type tree, which is stored in the Asset Bundle. And there are two loading paths: Fast, which is used when Type tree hash matches the Player. And slow, which "upgrades" the data during load.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The main point here is that mods "usually" work in the newer versions of the game.

How does this translate to DOTS?
    Is there similar workflow to load content archives build with "older" version of the project?
    What are possible approaches to this issue in the present and in the future?

mariandev and apkdev like this.
  26. boyaregames

boyaregames

Сan i ask about WebGL status and future in DOTS?
    I tested 1.0.8 and it seems thats webgl is still Not working with subscenes, graphics etc

Enderlook likes this.
  27. MiroLagom

MiroLagom

Unity Technologies

Hi all :)

I’m Miro from Sweden! I’ve been welcomed into the wonderful burst team as a software engineer just last month.

I’ve been using Unity for a years and have an unending appetite for making tiny indie game projects - painting, fixing sound, coding - I just cannot get enough. Before joining Unity I worked as a consultant for a bit.
    My primary passion is coding (I’m exceptionally happy to be able to do it as a job) and helping others make games! I love the joy I see in others - especially people who may not have the most coding experience - when they see they can make their imaginary worlds exist and move in game-spaces. It could sustain me joy-wise until the end of time!

Very nice to meet you all.

Samsle, JohnnyTurbo, Krajca and 27 others like this.
  28. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

My name is Nicklas. I am a software engineer in Netcode for Entities. I have been with Unity for 6 years and have been through quite a journey here at the company working most of my time in the Scripting team before deciding to challenge myself by moving to network and multiplayer.

What I enjoy the most is when we can be close and in it together users and developers striving to make a better and more stable product together. We are all creators that get to work every day working on supporting other's life, be it users of Unity, users of games, or internal users of Unity. I want to make sure that the pain is removed and the creativity can flow. Because games and creative expression should be possible for each and every one of us. And I want to be proud of other people enjoying making games using our software.

Samsle, Krajca, JohnnyTurbo and 27 others like this.
  29. optimise

optimise

I would like u to put more resources to mobile platform specially android as currently the performance of mobile platform is still not really good. At mobile platform, you can notice really high time cost on main thread specially at prediction when using dots netcode regardless of using idiomatic foreach or IJobEntity schedule (See case IN-37258). Since prediction needs to execute multiple times in one frame make it extremely costly. I think still need to find ways to further boost performance to make it possible at mobile platform.

30. citizenmatt

citizenmatt

JetBrains Employee

Hi folks! Lovely thread, really nice to see the people behind the product and hear the enthusiasm of everyone working on DOTS.

I'm not working on DOTS :) But I am working on JetBrains Rider, and just want to let everyone know that we're committed to great DOTS support too!

If you've not already heard of, or tried Rider, it's a smart script editor for Unity with a ton of innovative features - inspections for Unity best practices, highlighting for event functions, serialised fields, assets and scriptable objects, code completion for magic strings like layers, tags and scenes, pulling out scene, component and game object data in the debugger, and loads more (seriously, loads). And we've spent the last few years working with some of the folks posting above, trying to provide a great experience for Unity devs.

We've just introduced initial DOTS support (Unity kindly mentioned it during their GDC keynote). Rider will recognise and highlight your systems, component data and aspects, and provides customisable templates to easily create them too. Rider also takes care of some of the heavy lifting for you, generating the baker code to map your authoring components to component data, and to generate helper properties for aspects. We've also got some inspections for common API mistakes, and a quick Alt+Enter can fix it for you. We've got lots more planned, and are already working on the next release.

You can read more about our DOTS support in this blogpost. (And I can't let this go without posting a link to the 30 day trial version, can I? :)

We'd love to hear your suggestions (and questions, issues, feedback) for how Rider could better support DOTS. Not just in the code editor, but with new IDE tool windows, Unity editor integration, debugger customisation and so on. Feel free to mention me in a post (@citizenmatt), DM, Twitter or Mastodon, or the slightly more formal issue tracker or support routes (we'll still see it).

You can grab anyone else on the team too - @van800, @vkrasnotsvetov and a few more lurkers, I'm sure they'll jump in to introduce themselves sooner or later. We're all developers, some of us from a game background, others from a tooling background, but we're all working on making Rider's DOTS support best in class.

31. LorinAtzbergerUnity

LorinAtzbergerUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello all! I'm Lorin Atzberger and I'm a Senior Graphics Engineer having joined Unity only last month. I'm part of the Entities Graphics team focusing on the BatchRendererGroup and rendering of entities. Prior to joining Unity I've worked on various renderers and games for about 12 years, both with small teams and with large international ones.

I'm passionate about almost anything technical, ranging from 3d printing and arduinos to compiler programming, machine learning, game engine architecture and ofc graphics programming. I tried using Unity 4 at a game jam long ago and ever since then I've been a huge fan which is why I'm so happy to finally be in a position where I can contribute to the engine I love.

In my spare time I mostly work on a mars based colony simulation game called Red Dust together with my lovely wife.

Samsle, Krajca, JohnnyTurbo and 21 others like this.
  32. vkrasnotsvetov

vkrasnotsvetov

JetBrains Employee

Hello everyone! Great thread about quite promising and game-changer technology in Unity world.

My name is Vladimir. I am not a Unity employee, I am working for JetBrains and leading the Unity team in JetBrains Rider.

I joined JetBrains 5 years ago and have a strong background of building tooling in the IDE world. With our great team and collaboration with Unity we have created the best IDE for Unity with tons of valuable, game-changer features. We have been innovating from the first day and some of our features are industry standard nowadays.

As Matt Ellis said above we have already delivered the initial update for DOTS and you could try the latest JetBrains Rider version and share feedback with us about existing features.

We continue working on improvements for DOTS support in JetBrains Rider and we are open for feedback and your ideas. Feel free to share them with me via DM, post a message here or send me a message in linkedin.

I know that DOTS is in good hands, and on our side, we will provide an excellent user experience in the IDE.

Samsle, rdjadu, JohnnyTurbo and 16 others like this.
  33. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

Hey! We've been working on a fix to ensure that you can use Entities alongside WebGL. We're still in the midst of making sure the fixes are shipped with future editor versions, so do look forward to it.

34. optimise

optimise

Speaking of filling the gap, currently one of the essential missing tooling is ecs utility AI that I'm asking for years. Until today there is still no official AI tooling yet and I hope to get this ecs utility AI soon.

apkdev likes this.
  35. Fancisco_Greco

Fancisco_Greco

Hey @citizenmatt One feature that I think would be great to have is an automatic conversion/refactoring from Entities.ForEach to IJobEntity, currently IJobEntity is the recommended approach for iterating over components but I still have large amounts of Entities.ForEach in my codebase, some IDE support to help with this migration would come in pretty handy!

officialfonee likes this.
  36. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Hi, are there any plans for supporting Unity's 2D toolset - 2D animation package, URP 2D renderer, etc?

Enderlook likes this.
  37. dannilu

dannilu

Unity Technologies

Hiya! I'm Danni and I am a product designer working in the realm of DOTS. I'm currently working with Seán and the team on physics. I've been in Unity for almost 3 years, other than the DOTS tools, I've also worked on the editor search window and the query builder.

Before becoming a designer, I was a creative coder. I've made robots with different types of sensors + Arduino, interactive installations with openFrameworks, and a VR sculpting experience with Unity and a Falcon controller.

Now, I'm working with the physics team to improve workflows around both authoring and debugging.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    Antypodish, Samsle, Krajca and 29 others like this.
  38. diegoossal

diegoossal

Unity Technologies

A little late, but here I am. My name is Diego Ossa. I've been working on the DOTS Samples team for almost three years, and have been with Unity for five years.

Right now, we are working on Megacity Multiplayer, which will be released with the DOTS 1.0 version. We are also planning a new sample that we hope will be extremely useful for everyone.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for the next DOTS samples, we are open to hearing them! <3

JohngUK, Antypodish, Samsle and 25 others like this.
  39. AdrielCodeops

AdrielCodeops

I personally think that two things would be useful:

- More small sample projects that are not over engineered and show quick and efficient ways to prototype different game mechanics.

- Tutorials on best practices, organization and architecture recommended by unity for a small indie games.

Thank you very much for this post!

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  40. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

I have to say thanks for this thread. DOTS has often been pitched as the future of the Unity engine, so uncertainty about the future of DOTS can become uncertainty about the future of Unity for many. With recent events and the opaque nature of development, a lot is left to the imagination of the developers who are invested in Unity's success. That isn't always a good thing. This goes a long way to show that DOTS is still a priority and that real people with real experience and passion are working to make it the best it can be

41. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

We have tied the fate of our studio and our forthcoming RTS game to ECS and floating-point determinism. The uncertainty has been very stressful. It is good to see the ECS team checking in.

YondernautsGames likes this.
  42. jorrit-de-vries

jorrit-de-vries

Just have to say this is a great thread! Really nice to read all those background stories and see some faces from those building the tech I can work and play with... I'm looking forward continuing my just begun journey in ECS, and to the integrations coming ahead.

43. optimise

optimise

I would like official to create fairly complex dots multiplayer mobile sample to battle test dots netcode. Currently looks like all the dots samples are desktop platform exclusive. I would like official to invest and battle test more at mobile platform specially android that performance at mobile platform is still really slow and u can notice much more obvious at prediction.

44. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Unity never made RTS sample, mostly fps, racing, ARPG etc. (Nordeus made sample close to rts but it was just showcase without actual buildigs, hiring army, etc.) with DOTS Unity for RTS suits very well, despite I don’t need such sample as we have released RTS (in Early Access) on DOTS, some people probably will benefit from such sample:D Yes I’m just biased:p

45. SillyConesValley

SillyConesValley

It's not by Unity and I haven't tried it, but I saw this pop up the other day: https://github.com/PhilSA/Trove

DannyWebbie, optimise and filod like this.
  46. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

Hi all, a few answers, hope I didn't miss anything important that wasn't already answered,

ECS foundation can be used for 2D use cases, using GameObjects and ECS together, but we haven't provided a native 2D implementation. There are however some interesting solutions on the Asset Store like NSprites, which enables creators to build 2D sprite-based experiences, together with a foundational package that provides 2D transform components.

This is a fair comment! We've been debating if we should do more "bite-sized" samples as we did for Netcode for GameObjects. What do you think?

We've been evaluating porting our upcoming Megacity Multiplayer sample to URP so we can demonstrate a cross-platform competitive pvp gameplay. Stay tuned for updates!

First, let me casually drop that Diplomacy is Not an Option is a gorgeous game! When does it come out of Early Access!? :p:) Jokes aside we wanted to update our "simulation sample" for the release of ECS in Unity 2022, but decided to focus instead on Megacity Multiplayer. Not sure when we'll get back to it. One thing for sure is that we would love to fix the gap of Burst determinism so we can actually demonstrate a cross-platform multiplayer RTS. That would be an awesome milestone!

Keep the questions, comments, or anything else coming!

47. UnityChinny

UnityChinny

Unity Technologies

Hello Everyone

I am Chinny. The Senior Product Manager for 3D Characters and Animation, and the new DOTS/ECS powered animation system which is still in development. I will keep you posted on that in the forum below, as it progresses.
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/animation.52/

Starting working in 3D for Softimage, then Avid, Autodesk, Lagoa - so am very excited to be a part of an incredible team here at Unity, and witnessing the amazing potential for this technology.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    JohngUK, Antypodish, Samsle and 24 others like this.
  48. PolarTron

PolarTron

Samples are nice but templates are nicer. I'm getting a bit fatigued having to piece together "how tos" from all these different sample sources. I would rather have a definite "base gamemode" (inspired by Garry's Mod) from which I can build a game from.

Just imagine what amazing things people could create if Unity provided a multiplayer physics sandbox template.

dannilu, IsaacsUnity and DaxodeUnity like this.
  49. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Our release announcement trailer says - November this year! :D

Definitely!

PeppeJ2, Enzi, jmankin and 6 others like this.
  50. vkrasnotsvetov

vkrasnotsvetov

JetBrains Employee