Search Unity

Question DOTS entity debugger -- trouble inspecting elements within a dynamic buffer

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by forteller, Feb 21, 2022.

1. forteller

forteller

I'm using Unity 2021.2.7f1 with the latest versions of DOTS available.

When I open up the entities debugger "Windows / DOTS / Enities" I can begin inspecting the live component values associated with a chosen entity. However for dynamic buffers each element's data is locked behind a greyed-out Foldout... I can't unfold the UI, and so I'm unable to inspect live data in each element.

I can however see the element values during edit time via the Preview window of the inspector GUI.

Does anybody have a solution or workaround to inspect live runtime dynamicBuffer data? Is the entity debugger extendable like inspector GUIs are?

2. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Have you tried this on Unity 2020.3 LTS? That is the last official supported version with the current 0.17 DOTS ecosystem.

2021.1+ has had UIToolkit embedded with the core Unity engine (IIRC) and there has been breaking changes that has broken Entity Inspector package, which is created on an now ancient version of UIToolkit.

Try removing the EI package and seeing if the built in IMGUI works. IMGUI has been in maintenance mode for years and thus works without issue.

3. tertle

tertle

> I'm using Unity 2021.2.7f1

As Kmsxkuse said, this is why. It works fine on 2020.3.X but it broke in 2021.X which is not supported yet.

Kmsxkuse likes this.