Search Unity

DOTS Editor 0.1.0-preview Release

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by raymondyunity, Nov 28, 2019.

1. raymondyunity

raymondyunity

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone,

We’re happy to announce that we just released the DOTS Editor package. This package is used with the Entities package to make it easier to visualize and debug in DOTS.

How to install?
    You can find the package in the Package Manager, labeled “DOTS Editor preview.2 - 0.1.0”. The minimum Unity version requirement is 2019.3.0b11. Make sure to enable the “Show preview packages” menu.

What’s in the release?
    We’ve made life easier for DOTS developers by providing a tool that shows you the ECS components on your converted GameObjects, and allows you to easily convert them.

A simple ConvertToEntity checkbox in the Inspector adds the ConvertToEntity component to the GameObject. The label tells you how the GameObject is being converted.

When you inspect a GameObject that is converted by a SubScene, you can display the Component preview list or the Entity Conversion preview window (shown at Unite 2019). These controls help you debug components in the Editor and see their values after conversion. You can filter converted GameObjects according to the world they were converted in. The preview can handle additional entities created during conversion.

We’re welcoming any feedback!

2. PhilSA

PhilSA

I haven't been able to make it work so far

If I create a new cube and tick the Convert to Entity box, I get this:

And I have these options

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Opeth001, dzamani and BelkinAlex like this.
  3. Radu392

Radu392

Is this tool only used in conjunction with the conversion workflow? What about the projects that creat everything from code with no or very few gameobjects?

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I struggled a bit with getting going as well but managed to figure it out eventually with the helpful people from official Unity discord. How you do this is that you need to have DOTS subscene on your scene for things to serialize for this at all. So far I've found two ways to do subscene for DOTS (note that simply dragging another scene in your scene will not work), either:

- Select gameobject from scene and right click, last option on list should be convert to subscene
    - Or add empty GO to scene, add sub scene script to it and assign scene ref to this script. You may need to reload the scene (I've have mixed experience with this).

Entity Conversion preview apparently only works for items that are IN the DOTS subscene atm, so do try it out (and since it's DOTS subscene, you don't have to add conversion scripts to it's objects, whole subscene will be converted anyway).

So in the nutshell your get today:
    - Entity Conversion preview for items on your DOTS subscene.
    - ConvertToEntity toggle on the top of inspector to quickly insert conversion script to the rest (this is probably only useful for things that are not in DOTS subscenes).

NOTE: I find the Entity Conversion preview message totally unrelated to what the issue really is when you try to preview nonSubscene objects, it should totally say it currently only works with things on DOTS subscenes rather than the current nonsense (in this context).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    julienb and PhilSA like this.
  5. Vacummus

Vacummus

I am curious about this as well. I don't care for the conversion workflow at all and build my game exclusively via code (creating projects via the editor is great for building prototypes but horrible for building complex projects). So I would love to be able edit components on entities directly via the editor while in play mode for play testing purposes. The existing DOTS editor (not this new one) allows us to examine component data on entities, but it's currently read only.

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

It's described in OP message. ;)

cirocontinisio likes this.
  7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I did know it worked only in the subscene before I tried this (they did tell this on the keynote already) but I really struggled to get the DOTS subscene setup from scratch at first, hence the lengthy post :)