Search Unity

Dots, ECS not in the released cs reference source code?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by justaguygames, Jun 26, 2019.

1. justaguygames

justaguygames

Hi guys maybe I missed it but I can't seem to find any dots code on the Unity cs reference, is it not released to look at?

Thanks

2. recursive

recursive

Since they're in packages, the source is in those.
    The Unity cs reference mostly covers the C# of the editor and tooling itself.

I suspect that as project tiny reaches maturation as the DOTS editor more of that will either get rolled into the source or become a package.

3. tertle

tertle

The source for all your packages are in the Library\PackageCache folder

Or you can just use Rider/Resharper and inspect it directly in your IDE.

4. justaguygames

justaguygames

Ah thanks very much guys!

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

VS can do this as well, it's just not setup by default to do so.

6. tertle

tertle

It can, it's just not nearly as good at it from my experience.

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There are two ways to get this in VS, one that always works and other that should work but sometimes doesn't :D

What should but doesn't always work: Go to you Unity editor's Preferences, go to External Tools and make sure "Generate all .csproj files." is checked. It's not enabled by default. I've found in practice that if the files are still not generated properly, wiping the related files from project/library folder can help. If uncertain which files under library to wipe, just delete the whole lib, it'll just take a little longer to regen on next launch.

What will always work: just move the package you need to navigate through from your Library/PackageCache to Packages folder, this makes it a local development package and it'll be always included on your solution file. Obvious downside of this is that you need to do this manually each time you update the package version and you have to wipe the old version before updating.

8. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

I can provide a couple more details on this point too.
    1. The "Generate all .csproj files" option is only available if you have the VS package.
    2. It doesn't work well with VS 2019 in my experience. If the packages are still not appearing in VS, uncheck and recheck the option and it will appear. For me, this works until a I restart either Unity or VS (not sure which off top of my head).

9. tertle

tertle

So yeah, doesn't work nearly as well? =P

I can't live without resharper/rider decompiler anymore. Just being able to looking at UnityEngine source (and packages, any other dll etc) is remarkably useful.

Obviously not free so not for everyone.

SugoiDev and florianhanke like this.
  10. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

Nightly build is free if you wanna test it out. Been considering that... but then it's gambling with trying to land on a stable build haha.