Search Unity

Resolved DOTS Character Controller: Support for 2D?

Discussion in 'DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by Kmsxkuse, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Dues the character controller asset support 2d? Does it prevent players from getting pushed by other players and objects? My main problem with players in Netcode is how bad the interaction between predicted objects and interpolated player collisions so right now I've placed a kinematic collider that overlays the player to stop pushing collisions as a stopgap measure.

Does the Character Controller solve this issue?

2. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

There are currently no plans for a 2D character controller, as this would depend on having a 2D DOTS physics solution first. I would encourage you to add your feedback regarding both of these topics here: https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/dots (look for the "Didn't find what you were looking for?" card at the bottom)

dannyalgorithmic and Kmsxkuse like this.
  3. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Well, surprisingly I'm actually fairly satisfied with Unity Physics in context of 2D. I just clamp the resulting velocities and positions to XY and ZY rotation just before export physics world and it works. Will the controller be able to handle this?

4. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, there are no plans for this at the moment

Kmsxkuse likes this.
  5. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

Sorry for the aside, but I am so glad to see you on the team. You've been an amazing addition to the community and I am sure an equally great addition to the official team!

Also, have you any knowledge as to why this is so low on their priority list as to not even be on the roadmap?
    I mean a huge amount of the people who use the engine prototype and actually release 2D games.

Gekigengar and ThatDan123 like this.