Search Unity

DOTS Audio Discussion

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by harini, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ZexScal4

ZexScal4

Thank you for that info. Happy Holidays!

Ideae likes this.
  2. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

The minimum supported version is 2019.2.8f1

3. 00christian00

00christian00

@Tak
    Does DOTS audio allow to write to the audio buffer without allocating any memory like onAudioFilterRead does since Unity 5.5 roughly(was fine before).
    I have been told it's because you attach and detach the mono domain on every read, which allocates GC memory.
    If yes could we have a simple example of how to write on the output buffer without using onAudioFilterRead ?

4. jasonatkaruna

jasonatkaruna

@Tak
    I'm writing a basic midi synth. I'm experiencing a noticeable amount of latency when I Play/Pause using a CommandBlock.UpdateAudioKernel call, which can be difficult to adjust for when using a midi controller. What sorts of things should I be looking for to reduce that if possible?

5. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

Yes. There are some simple examples embedded in the com.unity.audio.dspgraph package, including writing procedurally-generated samples to the default output stream and playing a clip.

6. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

You could try controlling play/pause via a parameter on the kernel instead, and/or reducing the dsp buffer size for the graph.
    Today, there will always be up to DSPBufferSize samples of latency, because command blocks are applied between mixes, and UpdateAudioKernel actually executes an additional job (the update job you supply).

jasonatkaruna likes this.
  7. 00christian00

00christian00

@Tak
    Thanks! The ScheduleParameter example seem quite straightforward.
    I don't understand the purpose of the DSPCommandBlock however.
    Since you can recreate it every time from the graph why expose it? Wouldn't it be better to just hide it in the API?
    Or are there scenarios when it's useful to store it?
    Are you supposed to NOT store it, because it could change at runtime?

8. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

DSPCommandBlock is for gathering groups of changes together to be applied atomically

00christian00 likes this.
  9. 00christian00

00christian00

Thanks! It's clear now.
    Is there a way to expose the output buffer outside the AudioKernel?
    I have a quite complex system that rely on several monobehaviour right now and it would be quite lengthy to convert everything to the new system.
    Right now I am using MonoPInvokeCallback and IntPtr to share the buffer between native code and managed-
    Is there an equivalent for DOTS?

10. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the long delay.
    If I understand what you're asking, then not really.
    However, you can implement only part of your system as a graph and drive it manually (calling BeginMix/ReadMix yourself), if that makes sense for your use case.

00christian00 likes this.
  11. bashis

bashis

Is there any info on when any documentation is going to be available for DSP Graph? I mean, this has been anounced over a year ago and there are still no signs of it on Unity roadmap. Can we at least expect anything stable in terms of API this year?

12. aksyr

aksyr

I have made modular synth using modified DSP Graph 0.1.0-preview.11. Basically this modification allowes for not connected inputs to be recognized as connected (buffers are filled with zeros), because I found DSP Graph handling of connections inside kernels very annoying. With some minor modifications this could be used with standard DSP Graph.

This project also contains very hackish/naive implementation of microphone input in graph (someone asked about that earlier).

Here it is: https://github.com/aksyr/Unity-DSP-Graph-Modular-Synth

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    jasonatkaruna, bashis and r618 like this.
  13. thelebaron

thelebaron

Will the less low level part of dots audio be a part of this package or another package entirely?

14. hamokshaelzaki

hamokshaelzaki

Guys, I'm lost, how to play a collision audio clip on 2 objects collision, in a simple pool game?

15. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

The current plan is that there will be a separate DOTS Audio package

thelebaron likes this.
  16. Tak

Tak

Unity Technologies

You might be in the wrong place, this thread is about low-level, experimental, upcoming audio support for DOTS :)

17. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

Is there any news on the ETA of that package?

Games4Stream likes this.
unityunity