Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

dots animation setup

Discussion in 'DOTS Animation' started by snacktime, Oct 8, 2019.

1. snacktime

snacktime

Probably the most anticipated feature for our game so I spent a little bit of time to see if I could figure out how it all works. But a couple of things I didn't get right away so figured I'd wait until they get some docs up or an example.

If anyone gets a simple example working I'd love to see it.

thelebaron likes this.
  2. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

I looked at the rendering code briefly because I was curious if there was new draw call API. Instead I think I saw a new MaterialPropertyBlock for every draw call. Unless they plan to release a leaky preview with documentation that has a bunch of Todos in it, I don't think this is the version they want us looking at too seriously yet.

3. snacktime

snacktime

That's likely easy to fix. Skinned mesh rendering you just can't get past having to push a lot of data to the gpu every frame unless you want to move an unreasonable amount of logic to the gpu. They released an earlier version on staging months ago so I already knew how the rendering was likely to work.

The thing is the cheapest animation previously has been legacy, and even that at our design peak is 3ms+ main thread time, and that's just the animation logic not rendering. So for our game this is huge even though rendering cost likely won't change.

4. thelebaron

thelebaron

In my brief experiments with the package, the Skeleton component doesn't appear to fill itself when Importing a rig, not really sure if its supposed to be done manually or not. Even with it filled though I get an error: ArgumentException: The component of type:AnimatedLocalTranslation has already been added to the entity. Though even if I got the rig converted, no idea how animation works with it. Anyway just bumping the thread for visibility :)

5. Ziflin

Ziflin

Uhm, where is it you're looking at this?

6. thelebaron

thelebaron

its technically available on the package registry, though it doesn't show up on the package manager. if you add both these to your manifest it should install it.

Attached Files: