Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

DOTS animation 2020.1 update

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by snacktime, Jul 23, 2020.

1. snacktime

snacktime

Could we get a quick note here on how to get animations working again with 2020.1? Specifically the skinning where the bone index offset was removed. Upgrading entities to latest forces animation upgrade also so it's difficult to just hold back on the animation upgrade. And something is missing skinning breaks. Single character animates fine multiple do not. Guessing a newer version of SRP but would be nice to get a confirmation on what exactly is needed to get things working again.

2. snacktime

snacktime

So this is kind of a comedy of errors. The animation changelog is wrong for starters about having to remove the bone index offset from b9 forward. It's really tied to the srp upgrade, and for the latest animation that is a requirement and that's not said at all. No mention of having to add the version define, and DFG is also busted as it breaks with recent collections not having Unsafe. Which I didn't even notice until using a separate test project due to we have had collections in dev mode forever so we can use a recent Unsafe dll.

cdm456852 likes this.
  3. cdm456852

cdm456852

I don't get it why the official does not reply to you.

4. OlivierDionne

OlivierDionne

Unity Technologies

We've just released a version of dots animation that is now compatible with entities 0.13, HDRP 9+, com.unity.rendering.hybrid 0.7.0+ and unity 20.1. As you realized, the dots animation package release is not yet synchronized with entities releases. This is something that we want to fix in the future.

Note that dots animation is still in an experimental state and not yet discoverable through package manager... that is unless you had a previous version included in your project. It's unfortunate since there has been a lot of code churn recently that we did not want to necessarily expose to you in the immediate term. This sort of breakage is regrettable but can happen while these packages are still very much in development.

Otherwise to answer your question yes BoneIndex is now removed. Your shader graph should just use the Linear Blend Skinning node like so:
    upload_2020-8-5_8-49-52.png

Or the new compute deformation node:
    upload_2020-8-5_8-52-17.png

Make sure to also enable the following scripting defines in your projects for this to work:
    ENABLE_HYBRID_RENDERER_V2
    ENABLE_COMPUTE_DEFORMATIONS

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    GliderGuy and cdm456852 like this.
  5. cdm456852

cdm456852

Thank you so much for your reply, I want to know Does this latest version support URP? I really need the DOTS ANIMATION to support the URP.

6. cdm456852

cdm456852

And We wish you to update the Dots Animation Sample at the GitHub. Because it's been too long since the last time update. And that sample was not compatible with the latest dots animation package for a long time. And I want to say it again URP SUPPORT, URP, thank you!!

GliderGuy likes this.
  7. thelebaron

thelebaron

It's been 6 months since the samples were updated. Two years ago, back when the Entities package was in the embryonic stage, its samples repo was still updated with each major update on a regular interval. I don't see why this one cant receive the same treatment.

GliderGuy and cdm456852 like this.
unityunity