Search Unity

Feedback DOTS and Oculus Integration (or XR)

Discussion in 'VR' started by Deleted User, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm beginning to understand designing games for Oculus using the old input system and C#. Thing is, I want to update to use DOTS instead for better performance for Android. Is there going to be a DOTS version of Oculus Integration? (If there is information on XR as well, please feel free to share. Using XR is better than not having any DOTS with Oculus, right?).

Also, what about Oculus and the new Input System?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Are you really needing DOTS?
    99/100 times from my experience the bottleneck is the GPU, while DOTS mostly brings CPU performance boosts (from what I know).

I personally recommend just using the new input system with XR management (OpenXR for desktop and Oculus plugin for android, oculus integration asset is not required)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

DOTS is more a skill I want under my belt for when it is released, and I actually enjoy VR. In combining the two worlds, I would be able to understand general Unity programming further. It's not "mandatory" in any way right now, but I feel that it will eventually become the new way to code. IDK, but Unity did drop Boo and... UnityScript, I think- in the course of my time using this game engine.

DevDunk likes this.
  4. DevDunk

DevDunk

DOTS is definitely something that has a lot of potential because of the speed!
    Sadly cannot tell you how it works with VR interactions, if you find out please tell tho!

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think I will keep studying DOTS and the Oculus Integration asset, see what I can do.

adam_unity450 and DevDunk like this.