Search Unity

Games Doran's Dungeon

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by logang, Dec 17, 2018.

1. logang

logang

Doran’s Dungeon

Hello gamers, we would like to show you a game we’ve been working hard on called Doran’s Dungeon.

Who are we?
    Our small team consists of Logan Smith(Developer) and Emanuel pantaleon(Artist).

Story:
    This is a top down RTS game, and the objective is to take over Josef’s kingdom. Your mother was a profound witch, ahead of her time, and the kingdom had suspected her for quite a while. When they finally found evidence of her treachery the guards murdered your mother and banished you from the kingdom. They thought you too weak to be able to survive, but your mother taught you a great deal of witchcraft and you soon planned your revenge.

Gameplay:
    Your base is a stone dungeon that you must build up to protect your core. Once you have it fortified you can start building up an army to send on raids to take over one village at a time until you level up enough to fight the entire kingdom. There are different locations where you can send units to mine resources or even build a new base. Village raids will let you choose what units you want to attack from which side, but once the units have entered you have no more control over them.

What we have so far:
    This game is not very far into development but we got the major gameplay mechanics down. You can build up your base and defend from endless waves of knights trying to stop you. There are currently 4 different kinds of units you can summon, 1 worker, 2 attackers, and 1 special unit.

You can download the game here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EtuMGZCH631K80PvdeCDol24BOa1Wi8Q

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    tylerguitar75 likes this.
  2. qwertyjulz

qwertyjulz

Hi there. First time poster, long time gamer here.

I just finished playing your game. It's not bad, certainly a solid foundation. Some critique:

1. After getting access to the crystals for upgrades, the challenge drops off significantly. The upgrqaded Ogres are tanky AF and the upgraded Mages rip through the enemies. I suggest spawning more high HP enemies, i got to wave 20+ and was still only receiving 1 BIG BOY knight per wave.

2. Being able to select multiple units could improve flow of game play. At times I wanted to move a group of my units but had to tediously clink 1, move him, click another, move him, etc.

3. The 2nd and 3rd healing totems I placed did not work i.e. did not provide ANY healing. I don't know if its due to where I placed them (in the entrance hallway) or due to the fact that they were so close to each other - if the case is that you don't want players stacking the healing effects then you should make it clear that this strategy will not work, otherwise let it work. ALSO give the player an option to remove the healing wards, in case of mistakes or improper placement.

4. Maybe look towards adding additional enemy spawn locations, once you move your core deeper into the dungeon, odds that the enemy will make it anywhere close go dramatically down, especially considering the POWER of your upgraded units.

5. I know there's only two of you but working towards having walking animations for the units could improve the feel.

The good news is:
    A. I liked the way you interacted with the world.
    B. The friendly unit behavior was solid. (Except I wish that my units would return the their post after finishing combat - and not just stand where ever they happened to be at the end of it)
    C. Seems like a great foundation for fun game, the twist of your forces being the traditionally "BAD" guys is nice. Art looks cool too.

HOPE THIS HELPS - don't take my judgments too harshly, just wanted to give you some honest feedback. Keep working on it bros, looking forward to seeing a future iteration.

tylerguitar75 likes this.
  3. logang

logang

Thank you for playing the game, and for your first time posting you gave great feedback, we really appreciate it. In the future we plan on getting a 2D artist for the animations, and we really like your idea of adding more spawn locations, we will play around with that idea. We hope to see you in future updates!