Search Unity

DoozyUI: Complete UI Management System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlexMares, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a free version of DoozyUI with limited features?

Poll closed May 12, 2016.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. gecko

gecko

We're using DoozyUI throughout our project, and now I'm trying to add a new UI to a cutscene. But at runtime, all UI elements disappear. If I disable and reenable the DoozyUI object during runtime, then those elements appear properly, but I can't figure out how to fix it properly. I tried adding a new layer for sorting, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

2. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @gecko,

Can you give us a bit more info about your cutscene? (is it in a new scene? are you replacing the main scene?)
    What you are describing should not happen, and by disabling an re-enabling the DoozyUI object you are reloading the entire UI structure (every UIElement and UITrigger) are getting re-registered to the UIManager. It does work and the system should handle this gracefully, but it's inefficient and should not be done.
    So, tell us how are you adding those new UI elements to the cutscene and if you are replacing the main scene or not.

Cheers,
    Alex

3. AlexMares

AlexMares

4. jprocha101

jprocha101

Hi @allemaar, do you guys think you will ever change the ShowNotification method to accept action/callback methods instead of button names?

That would save us from having to setup a new button name, creating a trigger, mapping a script, and selecting the method to be triggered.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  5. gecko

gecko

This is a simple cutscene with no GUI in it. It's not a copy of the main scene. We are upgrading this project and switching from onGUI to uGUI/DoozyUI, and the problem only happens in these existing cutscenes. If I create an all-new scene, then DoozyUI works fine...but I don't see anything in the cutscene that would cause problems.

Oh, and turns out that the DoozyUI *is* there -- if I click on the spot where the button it, I get the event to play...but the button is invisible, not rendered...

6. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @jprocha101,

We haven't thought of that. I believe we can add an UnityEvent for that and you would be able to hook anything up to it. I'll add your request to our development plan.
    Thank you for suggesting this. :)

Cheers,
    Alex

jprocha101 likes this.
  7. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @gecko,

This sounds like a Canvas/Renderer setup issue. Can you please assemble a simple scene where you encounter this behaviour and send us an unitypackage? Or if you are not bound by an NDA, you can send a stripped down version of your current setup (in an unitypackage) so that we may give you a pertinent solution.

Check your Canvas and look at its Sort Order (if set to ScreenSpace - Overlay) by comparing it to the one on the 'UI Container', or look at its Render Camera and Order in Layer (if set to ScreenSpace - Camera or World Space). Also check your z axis as that might also be a possible culprit or any unusual rotation on the x or y. Then look at the scale factor, for the canvas and for the contained elements. These are some of the things we would start looking for from the get go, from the information you gave us.

So, if you want to send us an unitypackage, you can do that at doozy.entertainment@gmail.com or at support@doozyentertainment.eu, we'll be waiting.

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

any joystick assets that can be directly added into the doozy manager ?
    im currently using one only working on screenspace, but when when i switch back cardboard vr camera off it mess up the canvas rendering.

9. gecko

gecko

Ah, that was it! The canvas was set to something else, so I changed it to Overlay and now the GUI appears! (I guess I need to read up on that...). Thanks!

10. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Damien-Delmarle,

We don't know of any joystick asset that might have direct integration into the DoozyUI UIManager. It should not be that hard to integrate the 2.x version, and with DoozyUI 3.0 you will get several UnityEvents to hookup anything to the managers. Do you need help with your implementation?

Cheers,
    Alex

11. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @gecko,

That's great news! We'll mark this as solved then. :)

Cheers,
    Alex

12. AlexMares

AlexMares

Orientation Manager
    standalone

13. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

hey thanks i used Cnjoystick asset which is free and work out of the box with doozyUI. VR problems are gone

14. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi @allemaar , this asset looks interesting! I've a few question before purchase. ;)

1. Does it help user to use uGui better or replace it like nGui?

2. Do we have to create 2D version of particles? I'm not familiar with 2D stuffs.

3. Any integrate with other assets, say ParticlePlayground, BehaviorDesigner, PlayMaker?

Last one is the most impotant question, is it production ready? (Robust test, fully doc/tuts etc.)

15. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Damien-Delmarle,

That is good to know, thank you for telling us about this. I believe most assets that use uGUI should be compatible with DoozyUI since we use only native components.

Cheers,
    Alex

16. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zhuchun,

1. Does it help user to use uGui better or replace it like nGui?
    It helps you (the developer) to use uGUI better. The idea behind this asset is to give you tools to manipulate and manage native Unity UI components. We believe that is the best way of handling the UI, instead of competing with Unity with another custom UI solution.

2. Do we have to create 2D version of particles? I'm not familiar with 2D stuffs.
    No, you do not need to do that. If you want to use a ParticleSystem inside the UI (even without DoozyUI), you can do that just by replacing the Transform with a RectTransfomm (juat add a RectTransform component) and setting the Renderer sorting layer to your UI layer and sorting order to the needed depth. The UIEffect helps you in that regard. Also, every UIElement uses a Canvas component to help you manage the Rendering of the UI. This allows you to place the effects in front or behind a certain panel/button/image.

3. Any integrate with other assets, say ParticlePlayground, BehaviorDesigner, PlayMaker?
    We have PlayMaker support already included in the package. What I mean by that is that you have a lot of actions readily available out of the box. If ParticlePlayground works with uGUI that is should work fine with DoozyUI, since we only give you tools to manage uGUI components. Also, NodeCanvas support is scheduled on our development roadmap.

Last one is the most impotant question, is it production ready? (Robust test, fully doc/tuts etc.)
    Yes, it is production ready. This asset has been under development for almost 2 years now and it will soon receive a huge upgrade with the 3.0 version. We have a long development plan and we are working on it on a daily basis. Before every new version release we do a lot of tests and we try (and succeeded thus far) not to impact any ongoing projects.
    Link: Documentation (link available on the DoozyUI's AssetStore page and inside the package)
    Link: Video Tutorials (links available on the DoozyUI's AssetStore page and inside the package)

If you are curious about the next version, you can check out the videos that we are adding to this YouTube playlist:

Right now, we have a small delay (1-2 days) when responding to support requests because of the development of the new version, but under normal circumstances, we respond quite fast.

Should you have more questions, fire away.

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    zhuchun likes this.
  17. zhuchun

zhuchun

Awesome! I may implement UI on Dec. As you said new version is coming soon, should I worry about compatible issues if I start it now?

18. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zhuchun,

We are planning on creating a migration tool from 2.X to 3.0.

Cheers,
    Alex

zhuchun likes this.
  19. wahyuway

wahyuway

@allemaar how can i listen to notification event when it close?

20. gecko

gecko

I want to use DoozyUI in a new project. I imported and ran the Setup on DOTween, and now imported DoozyUI...but I get some compiler errors. Using 5.4.2f1 on Mac 10.11.5.

Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/ScriptableObjectUtility.cs(21,27): error CS0117: `Path' does not contain a definition for `GetExtension'

Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/ScriptableObjectUtility.cs(23,29): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `string.Replace(char, char)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/ScriptableObjectUtility.cs(23,29): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `char'

21. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @wahyuway,

With version 2.6, the current version, you can listen for the close buttonName by using a trigger.
    So, you create an UIButton inside the UINotification and you reference it there. Then you have an UITrigger that listens for said buttonName (or, you you set the buttonName through the ShowNotification method, you listen for that). And finally the UITrigger reacts when that button was clicked.

We are releasing version 2.7 today, that will also allow you to set a callback (UnityAction) to when it closed of for each UIButton.

Did this help you out?

Cheers,
    Alex

wahyuway likes this.
  22. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @gecko,

We deleted that file as of 2.7 as it was used to create the database. You don't really need it in order for DoozyUI to work, so you can delete it as well.

Cheers,
    Alex

23. AlexMares

AlexMares

Good news! We are happy to announce that DoozyUI 2.7 is now ready to be submitted. It took a bit longer than expected because we wanted to include a few more functionalities that some of you asked for.

Here are the release notes to see what to expect from it. The 'New Features' video will be posted later today.

------
    Version 2.7

IMPROVEMENTS
    UIManager
    --The ShowNotification methods now return a reference to the UINotification.
    --There is a new automated system that disables all the UIButtons clicks when an UIElement is in transit (IN or OUT). This was introduced to prevent accidental button clicks when an UIElement is animating. Two new methods are now available UIManager.DisableButtonClicks() and UIManager.EnableButtonClicks().
    UINotification
    --HideNotification(bool hideAndDestroy = true) method has been added to the UINotification. This will allow you to hide the UINotification from script (if you have the direct reference to the notification).
    --A new setting is now available: bool listenForBackButton (default: true). You can now toggle if the UINotification should listen when the Back Button is pressed or not.
    --New UnityAction callbacks available for the UINotification. UnityAction hideCallback - triggered when the notification closed and UnityAction[] buttonCallback - used in conjunction with the notification's referenced buttons to receive a callback for each one.

CHANGES
    UIElement
    --No longer uses elementNameReference. It only uses elementName.
    UIButton
    --No longer uses buttonNameReference and onClickSoundReference. It only uses buttonName and onClickSound.

FIXES
    UIManager
    --GetUiElements now returns an empty list of UIElements instead of null if the elementName was not found in the database.
    --There was a bug when using a GameObject prefab reference to instantiate an UINotification. Now the issue has been fixed and it will work as expected.
    --When instantiating an UINotification, and the UI Container's Canvas component is set to Render Mode: Screen Space - Overlay, we set the min and max offset to zero. This fixes the issue with partialy visible UINotifications because of the UI Container's world position.
    --Fixed a small issue with the OrientationManager when starting in Landscape mode.
    UIAnimator
    --The OnClickAnimations now return to the initial values (move,rotate, scale) even if the timescale is set to zero.
    UINotification
    --Fixed the coroutine that closed the notification after the set delay. We created our own realtime timer inside the coroutine, to make it compatible with any Unity version.
    GENERAL
    --Changed most coroutines to work in real time instead of scaled time.

jprocha101 and Tiny-Tree like this.
  24. AlexMares

AlexMares

This asset makes it easy to add vector icons and social logos to your games and apps by giving you the tools to use a free pictographic font that can instantly be customized — size, color, transparency.

One Font, 675 Icons - in a single collection, Font Awesome is a pictographic language of web-related actions. The font is completely free for commercial use. Check out the license.

The editor extension ‘Font Awesome’ is a tool that helps you use the font ‘Font Awesome’ within Unity. Also, by using a font, instead of images, your game/app build will be smaller.

Easy to use, with an intuitive Inspector interface, you’ll be ready to go in just a few clicks.
    Module Version 1.0 | Font Version 4.7

Features
    - One Font, 675 Icons
    - Infinite Scalability
    - Perfect on Retina Displays
    - Editor integration
    - Easy to learn. Intuitive design
    - Supports all platforms
    - Mobile friendly
    - Comes with full C# source code

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  25. AlexMares

AlexMares

26. gecko

gecko

The Tab examples (in the example scenes) are helpful, except that they don't show a way to have an "ON" state for the currently-selected tab. Is there a way in DoozyUI to do that?

Also, I have all the tabs in my panel set to Hide@Start, except for the default tab that should appear as soon as the panel is opened. However, the buttons in that panel don't work, until I tap the tab-button for them, which apparently properly loads that panel. Is there a way to make those buttons work right away when the parent panel opens?

27. Blackbox514

Blackbox514

Hi,

I'm a DoozyUI 2.6 user and was wondering where I could find the Font Awesome 4.7 editor extension mentioned in the video. I did some searches on the Unity Asset store but it doesn't seem to turn up in the results. What am I doing wrong? Or better yet, can you provide a link to the plugin please?

[EDIT] Forgot to mention that I did manage to download the icons from the link you provided in post #274.

Thanks.

28. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Blackbox514,

You could not find the extension as it has not been reviewed yet by the guys from the Asset Store. There are some delays with the review times right now (after the Unite event) so all we can do is wait. The link on the YouTube video will be active after the asset has been reviewed. And, just so you know, the extension you saw in the video is the standalone version. It will be included in DoozyUI from version 3.0 and up.

We are also prepared to update the Font Awesome extension as soon as new versions of the font are released (new icons), as we have an in-house system that re-generates the entire code for each character. Thus you will be able to use the latest font version every time you use this asset.

Should you have any questions, fire away.

Cheers,
    Doozy Entertainment

29. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi All,

Here are the packages we are awaiting reviews for right now (the submission date is on the 'Modified' column):
    DoozyEntertainment_PackagesPendingReview_15Nov2016.PNG

We are working on other modules for DoozyUI 3.0 and we hope that by the end of this month we will be able to start the work on the core. In the mean time, every module will also be launched as a standalone asset after we perform thorough tests on it.

Also we are planning to start weekly Live Training Sessions (free of course) and we intend to cover a lot of UI related topics with coding examples. In the last couple of days we tested/configured the YouTube live stream on our channel and we managed to successfully stream at 1080p (after some initial hiccups). We are also considering Twitch, but we have not tested a live stream there yet.

Cheers,
    Doozy Entertainment

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  30. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @gecko,

The Tab examples (in the example scenes) are helpful, except that they don't show a way to have an "ON" state for the currently-selected tab. Is there a way in DoozyUI to do that?
    Out of the box there isn't a selected tab option right now. You have to write a script to manage that. We are planning of adding one in the next major version though.

Also, I have all the tabs in my panel set to Hide@Start, except for the default tab that should appear as soon as the panel is opened. However, the buttons in that panel don't work, until I tap the tab-button for them, which apparently properly loads that panel. Is there a way to make those buttons work right away when the parent panel opens?
    That is a strange issue. You might have an 'invisible' canvas with a graphic raycaster over those buttons and, when you press the tab-button, that 'invisible' canvas gets hidden. If you can't find what it is, just send us a small example (unitypackage) with that part of the UI and we'll find the culprit. ;)

Cheers,
    Alex

31. witcher101

witcher101

I encountered a bug.
    I have a pause menu setup which has ui element and some buttons in it.
    If i pause game as soon as game starts(time scale =0) ui buttons dont seem to respond to mouse hover or clicks at all.
    If i wait for 5 secs after game starts and then do it it seems to work.
    I dont know if this is bug in ur end or mine

32. Blackbox514

Blackbox514

Ok thanks!

-Y

33. Blackbox514

Blackbox514

Hi,

Just wanted to give a heads up that with the latest update of Master Audio (4.0.6), there is a breaking change in the API which causes Doozy 2.7 (and probably earlier versions as well) to no longer compile.

The issue is in the UIAnimator.cs file:

MasterAudio.FireCustomEvent(soundName, Vector3.zero);

The method now needs a Transform instead of a Vector3 .

-Y

34. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @witcher101,

Did you update DoozyUI to 2.7 ?

Cheers,
    Alex

35. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Blackbox514,

Thank you for telling us about this. We'll release a patch asap. :)

Cheers,
    Alex

36. AlexMares

AlexMares

Good news! We are happy to announce that DoozyUI 2.7p1 is now ready to be submitted.

Here are the release notes to see what to expect from it.

------
    Version 2.7p1

FIXES
    --Fixed a compatibility issue with MasterAudio 4.0.6 version that added a breaking change to MasterAudio.FireCustomEvent

Blackbox514 likes this.
  37. aheidorn

aheidorn

Hi,

I found a rather big problem in the 2.7 update. I found a condition where the new buttonClickDisabled will get stuck at 'true' making all UIButton events disabled.

If you use the 'disable when hidden' checkbox in your UIElements, then UIElement.DisableButtonClicksForTime co-routine will stop when the UIElement gets 'disabled' automatically, just short of the while loop finishing. This leaves UIManager without a matching EnableButtonClicks() call.

I guess a temp fix is not to use the 'disable when hidden' checkbox in UIElements.

38. aheidorn

aheidorn

Also, it seems to me there might be another issue using this Coroutine to track out-animations to disable button clicks. For example, if you have two UIElements animating (say, a window and an overlay), and the out animation for the overlay is .1sec, and the window is .5sec, when the overlay is done, the buttonClickDisabled goes false - and will allow button clicks before the window is done.

Without redesigning too much, you could change buttonClickDisabled to a reference count. When zero, buttonClicks are enabled. DisableButtonClicksForTime could increase the count by one, wait for delay, then decrement when done.

I'm not having an issue with this right now, but thought about it when trying to track down the 'disable when hidden' issue.

Thanks,
    -Allen

39. sicga123

sicga123

@allemaar - will there be an upgrade cost to go from Doozy UI 2.0+ to Doozy 3.0?

40. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @aheidorn ,

Thank you for letting us know about this. We will start looking into it an release a patch right away.
    You don't really need 'disable when hidden' as we are disabling the Canvas and the Graphic Raycaster when an UIElement is hidden, thus no extra draw calls. But we want the option to be available and functional if you need to disable a particular script or the entire gameObject.

Cheers,
    Alex

41. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @aheidorn,

We use the additive bool method for the 'Back' button functionality and we can implement it for the button clicks as well. We'll test your suggestion and if we don't find any bugs we'll implement it in the next patch.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Alex

42. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @sicga123,

We don't know that yet as we haven't decided if we should update or upgrade this package.
    What I can tell you right now is that there will be a new code base and a lot of new options and functionalities.

Cheers,
    Alex

43. sicga123

sicga123

Will the latest version prior to 3.0+ continue to work and get support after the 3.0 release, if I choose not to pay for an upgrade?

44. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @sicga123,

Of course! We are actively developing and providing support for our assets.
    So for any issue you might have, rest assured that we will respond support requests and look for good solutions to any use case scenario.

Cheers,
    Alex

45. witcher101

witcher101

Is there a webgl demo for your New DoozyyUI button.
    From watching the video it seems to have major design flaw. On hover effect on buttons seems to be same as onclick, this would be confusing for user as they think that they had accidentally clicked button.
    For example if button has on scale up effect, when u hover mouse on button button should scale up and stay in that postion untill mouse is hovering in button, When you exit hover it should return back to its original scale.

You can check this video on how its should be.

46. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @witcher101,

when u hover mouse on button button should scale up and stay in that postion untill mouse is hovering in button, When you exit hover it should return back to its original scale.
    You can do that with ease. In the video, you saw the Punch animations being used. If you use a Scale animation (and not a Punch Scale) you can set a target scale for when the mouse is over the button and another target scale when it is not. Look at the particle system (the sparkles) as it plays when you hover over it and it stops when you leave. On that note, I'll add a new video on the ToDo list showing how to do exactly what you are looking for. (and yes, you will be able to create a menu similar to Overwatch with DoozyUI 3.0).

We'll create some WebGL demos as soon as all the modules are launched, as it takes time to get everything ready. Right now we are still working on the UIElement and after that we will work on the UIToggle (similar to an UIButton) and a Key Value Observing system (binds) for any UI component.

We haven't released any new videos because we have some technical problems with our recording microphone (Blue Snowball). It died on us after the 'Font Awesome' video and right now we are waiting for a new one (Blue Yeti) to get delivered.

Cheers,
    Alex

47. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi All,

We would like to let you know that a new patch 2.7p2 will be submitted this week with a few fixes. Mostly related to the auto-disable feature (when an UIElement is in transit) for the UIButtons, that was introduced in version 2.7. Should you have any other issues right now, please let us know so that we may take them into account.

Thank you,
    Doozy Entertainment

48. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @aheidorn,

We solved this issue by checking if the UIElement is inTransition, we EnableButtonClicks OnDisable.
    Fix will get released with DoozyUI 2.7p2 (this week).

Thank you for telling us about this!

Cheers,
    Doozy Entertainment

49. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @aheidorn,

We changed backButtonDisabled from a bool to a property that returns a bool and we implemented and additive bool system This should cover the use case scenario you presented. The relevant methods have been changed to accommodate this change and we also added EnableButtonClicksByForce that can be used as a fail safe method for very particular cases.

UIManager.DisableButtonClicks();
    // Disables all the button clicks. This is triggered by the system when an UIElement started a transition (IN/OUT animations).

UIManager.EnableButtonClicks();
    // Enables all the button clicks. This is triggered by the system when an UIElement finished a transition (IN/OUT animations).

UIManager.EnableButtonClicksByForce();
    // Enables the button clicks by resetting the additive bool to zero. buttonClicksDisableLevel = 0. Use this ONLY for special cases when something unexpected happens and the button clicks are stuck in disabled mode.

Fix will get released with DoozyUI 2.7p2 (this week).

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Doozy Entertainment

50. aheidorn

aheidorn

Thanks for the fix, and looking forward to the patch this week!

Question: Now that Unity5.5 has been released, will this patch also contain 'fixes' to the warnings in SceneLoader.cs and UIEffect.cs? (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.UnloadScene(string)' is obsolete., UnityEngine.ParticleSystem.playOnAwake' is obsolete, etc)

Thanks,
    -Allen