Search Unity

DoozyUI: Complete UI Management System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlexMares, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a free version of DoozyUI with limited features?

Poll closed May 12, 2016.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Ben-BearFish,

It would be nice if these UnityEvents were Reorderable
    Ok, we'll look into it.

For the second point, yes, want to be able to edit the Image component of the Background gameObject, right on the UIButton component.
    This means that you want to have the Image component on the UIButton gameObject (the way a default Button does it).

2. bonsaisushi

bonsaisushi

Hi @allemaar

I'm having problem with a panel in the MasterCanvas, is set to be hidden at start, and should appear on button press (navigation), works fine in the editor but not on the app

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. derkoi

derkoi

Thank you, that worked perfectly!

AlexMares likes this.
  4. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

This morning I got a new warning:

"The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'MasterCanvas') is missing!"

I am using 2.8.1 and Unity 2701.1.0f3 Personal on a MacBook Pro 10.12.16.

I say this morning, because this scene has been working fine for several days. The recent change I made was I added another scene with another MasterCanvas, not created from within DoozyUI. No errors when I was working on the second scene for several hours. This is not a big deal since the Doozy scene still works fine. I can delete the second MasterCanvas, but just checking to see whether this was an issue you would expect.

5. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@allemaar You can either have the Image component directly on the gameobject, or have a way to access the Image properties through the UIButton component. Is there a good reason you have it separate? I'm not a big fan of gameobject "clutter". But if there is a good reason for this, then I would prefer at least the ability to access the Image properties without having to open the GameObject hierarchy.

6. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @bonsaisushi,

What happens in the app? It does not appear if it's triggered to show?

7. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @rgarrett7,

The 'MasterCanvas' is also used as a fallback canvas. I case no other canvas exists, and you need one, the 'MasterCanvas' gets created automatically. You should design your UI to have only one MasterCanvas, if possible, since the editor scripts will also look for it when designing your UI. This way you can use any other canvas name in other scenes. The system won't break if you add two, but you might get some unexpected behaviors (like the one you had) and that is never a pleasant experience.

AdmiralThrawn likes this.
  8. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Ben-BearFish.
    There is a reason why we moved the Image that is used as a background to a chid gameObject. We have several features on our development roadmap including a script that makes rounded corners that is in the works.
    The main reason behind this separation is that we will add at least one if not two other scripts for the background and having all of them on the main gameObject (the one with the UIButton scipt) would force you to scroll through them all in order to use them.

9. AlexMares

AlexMares

Quick Update

We are working on fixing several issues at the moment:
    1. The UIButton and UIElement database buttons crash Unity. It happens only on MAC and it's quite a strange problem since the error doesn't give us much to go on.
    2. The UIButton disable delay does not respect the set delay (it works, but not as expected)
    3. The automated upgrade manager runs without reason and we want to see why that happens. It should not affect your projects in any way, but we want to fix it.

Please tell us if you have other problems so that we may take a look at them.

Other things we are working on are:
    1. A new website for the asset with code examples and better documentation (we are also considering a live chat option)
    2. New videos with 'tips and tricks', code examples and a few other nifty things
    3. A 3rd manual for code only, that will give you some written examples on how to do stuff in code.

10. bonsaisushi

bonsaisushi

Exactly, the button press is working, but the panels just don't appear

11. zukinet

zukinet

Hi @allemaar

Are Doozy UI support for responsive UI?
    i want to make 5 button horizontally, but i want to make sure them are responsive by horizontal to any device ?

if yes, how to do it using Doozy's Technique

12. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

Sorry for delay.

Does your UIElement have an elementCategory and an elementName set?
    No it doesn't, But why I need the category and name to use "hide @Start".

Do you add the UIManager to the scene, or does it get added automatically?

It does added automatically.

What is your OS? (WIN or MAC)

Mac

Is your project a new project or is it an older project (started with a version prior to 2.8) and upgraded to 2.8?

New project

Great to hear about 2.9.0
    how about roadmap and feature lists for 3.0 :)

13. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Understood. Thank you for the great explanation! I will stick with one MasterCanvas.

14. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Code examples with written documentation and a code only manual would be great. I much prefer written documentation to videos. Videos have their place, but they are much slower than reading, have a lot less information, and you can't do a search and find the topic you want. These comments probably reflect my learning styles and are a general critique of video tutorials, not yours specifically . Videos do work well for highly visual topics, but are not good for in-depth explanations, IMHO.

15. erpatton

erpatton

When's that video getting uploaded? I can't seem to figure out where the heck to implement the controller/keyboard stuff at.

16. zukinet

zukinet

i am using MAC, also facing problem here : too long process to open another UI element...

17. Nowlz

Nowlz

Thanks for this @allemaar, that's something I've been struggling with for a while now.

18. ghiboz

ghiboz

hi @allemaar !
    congrats for your package..
    I've got a stupid question.. how can I start from scratch a ui creation?
    I read the docs and looked some videos, but the only that starts from zero is referenced of an old version and the control panel is different...
    thanks in advance

19. strife77

strife77

How do I do a simple text fade in/out like game credits?

I'm about 40 minutes into the UI elements video and haven't seen a mere mention of it. I'd think this would be a popular thing that people would want to do with this. I appreciate you taking the time to dive into more complex mechanics like saving presets and all the bounce left, bounce right, spin left, spin right and such, but maybe a few more of the basics could be covered?

I tried setting an IN animation on a UI text element, which correctly fades it in, but setting an OUT to fade the text out doesn't work. I'm guessing it's because these are playing in an active scene and there is no button click event to trigger the fade out. Nor do I seem to have the ability to add another IN animation to fade the element out.

I then tried doing a LOOP animation, which is able to fade the text in and then out. However, it continues to cycle and I cannot see a way to stop it. I tried changing the loops value, but it doesn't appear to do anything. It infinite loops no matter what I set it to.

Do you have a tutorial for how to do this? Is it possible? Can two animations be set on the same UI element in an active scene without an event trigger, such as a case that would be seen with credits fading in and out?

[Edit: Never mind, took care of it with DoTween. It gives me two-state animation capability on an active scene without a trigger..]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. zukinet

zukinet

Hi @allemaar

I create 7 buttons, this is the hierarchy :

Master Canvas >>> UI Element >>> UI Button >>> RawImage

but using Frame Debugger, it cost got 7 draw calls :

Is it possible to reduce the draw calls ?

AdmiralThrawn likes this.
  21. Krstn

Krstn

Hello

Each time I browse through the tree of objects I get the doozyui pop up which regenerates something. I have checked, and after this process, I get anchor position modified on a lot of objects. The change is minimal, like 0.4pt, but it's a change. It means that I have changes to commit
    One thing: this is very annoying.
    Second thing: it breaks team work. Position values are modified, thus scene is modified, thus I have changes to commit to repository/collab.
    This was bought to check if it could ease our UI work, but it seems that the plugin will introduce a lot more issues then it will fix. I assume it's just me who can't configure the plugin or doing something wrong. It sure looks strange. Could you please give me an advice on how to set it up to get rid of this popup and to prevent the plugin from changing the position of objects while just browsing through the objects tree?

22. derkoi

derkoi

Hi again, I'm using the Energy Bar Toolkit with the scene loader in my main menu. When I load a level, the scene loader remains across scenes but my energy bar reference is in the main menu and so is lost. When I go back to the main menu, the Energy Bar reference is still lost and so when I load a level again I have no energy bar loading percentage, is there a way around this?

Thanks

23. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Hi,

I'm having these errors when trying DoozyUI on Linux using Unity 2017.1.1xf1;

GUI Window tried to begin rendering while something else had not finished rendering! Either you have a recursive OnGUI rendering, or the previous OnGUI did not clean up properly.
    Code (csharp):
    2. UnityEditor.EditorUtility:DisplayProgressBar(String, String, Single)
    3. DoozyUI.DUI:RefreshUIElementsDatabase() (at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/DUI/DUI.cs:178)
    4. DoozyUI.UIElementEditor:RefreshUIElementsDatabase(Boolean) (at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/Editors/UIElementEditor.cs:2339)
    5. DoozyUI.UIElementEditor:RefreshElementNameAndCategory(Boolean) (at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/Editors/UIElementEditor.cs:339)
    6. DoozyUI.UIElementEditor:RefreshData(Boolean) (at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/Editors/UIElementEditor.cs:329)
    7. DoozyUI.UIElementEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Editor/Editors/UIElementEditor.cs:369)
    8. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    10. Expected top level layout group missing! Too many GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?
    11. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    13. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    14. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.LayoutFromContainer (Single w, Single h) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:182)
    15. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.EndContainerGUI () (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:148)
    16. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:140)
    17. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement finalTarget) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:185)
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Beacom likes this.
  24. AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

Greetings Doozy-Team!

First of all: You guys have put together a great UI library! The simplicity of creating animated buttons is amazing!

One thing I'd like to ask:
    Is there a way to make a button perform an animation which in the end renders the button in some "transformed" state?
    Similar like when you do a tween and you chose a resulting scale increase, a rotation or a movement.

I can imagine many game developers (including myself) need buttons or play cards that do fancy animations and need them to stay on their new target position with a new rotation / scale.

If this feature isn't yet available (or can be achieved by some other workaround), would it be easy for you to add this into a future release?

Cheers,
    A.T.

25. rrahim

rrahim

Hi,

Awesome work so far on this plugin!

I've noticed that the "hide @Start" checkbox does not do what I expect it to do ie: hide the uielement at start so that it's not visible. It simply does nothing, is this a bug?

I'm on 2017.1.0p5.

26. gecko

gecko

We've set up DoozyUI in our game, but various GUI panels are somehow triggered during gameplay. It's not always the same panel, and it's always a sub-panel that's activated (we have a Pause/Options menu that normally appears first, then a sub-panel when you click a button on that menu). Any suggestions on how to debug this? Are there some keypresses by default that would do this, which we need to disable? We haven't seen this in other projects that use Doozy, but this game has a lot more keyboard inputs than the others.

27. Nowlz

Nowlz

Nope, this didn't work because there is no entry for DoozyUI within Tools.

The automatic upgrade still doesn't start after I import the asset. Instead I get a series of errors beginning -

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/Helpers/UpdateSortingLayerName.cs(11,23): error CS0117: `DoozyUI.UIManager' does not contain a definition for `UpdateCanvases'
    I've tried to upgrade several times now and each time this happens.

I'm using Unity 5.6.3p2, upgrading from DoozyUI 2.7p6

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  28. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @ghiboz,

We've been on vacation and now new videos are on the way.
    To put it simply just create some UIElements and some UIButtons to show and/or hide them and you'll have already started. We'll show you how it's done (it is very easy).

TheGamby and ghiboz like this.
  29. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zukinet,

DoozyUI creates responsive animations (they are the same regardless of the screen's aspect ratio or orientation). Unity's native UI framework does the responsive part (just by setting up your anchors the way you need them to).
    To make 5 horizontal buttons you can use a Horizontal Layout Group that controls its children's width (and also set it to full screen with by using its anchors).

NOTE: You should have each button set inside a container as follows:
    Horizontal Layout Group (top gameObject)
    -- Button 1 Container
    ---- UIButton
    -- Button 2 Container
    ---- UIButton
    -- Button 3 Container
    ---- UIButton
    -- Button 4 Container
    ---- UIButton
    -- Button 5 Container
    ---- UIButton

30. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @erpatton,

We have several videos ready to be published. They will be available soon.

31. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zukinet,

Are you referring to the database sync?

Starting with version 2.8.1p1 are you experiencing any crashes when opening the database on a MAC?

32. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zukinet

Yes, you can reduce the draw calls if you are designing your UI the right way. RawImage is not meant to be used like that because it will not get batched and it will always generate a draw call (check Unity's official docs: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/UI.RawImage.html)

RawImage - Displays a Texture2D for the UI System.
    Keep in mind that this will create an extra draw call with each RawImage present, so it's best to use it only for backgrounds or temporary visible graphics.

We recommend you use the Image component and not the RawImage component when designing your UI.

If the usage of the RawImage cannot be avoided from whatever reason, please note that when an UIElement containing one or several RawImage components gets hidden, those draw calls will get dropped as well. Still, we recommend you try to design your UI with Image components.

33. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Krstn,

We will look into this position change, as it should not happen. The delays you are experiencing are database refreshes. In order to keep all the databases synchronized we need to do this refresh. Should we find a better solution we'll be sure to implement it.

That refresh only looks at the categories, names and animations (depending on the selected component).

We will definitely look into this position change as it should not happen. The refresh is for the databases only.

Thank you for telling us about this.

34. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @derkoi,

If you are destroying the Energy Bar on scene load, then this is exactly what it should happen.
    You can avoid that just by creating an UICanvas, putting your UIElement that contains your Energy Bar under it and setting the UICanvas as 'don't destroy on load'. This will preserver your reference as the Energy Bar will not persist on scene change (remember to hide it and show it when appropriate).

35. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Muhamad_Faizol,

Thank you for letting us know. We'll look into it.

Please answer the following questions so that we may debug this faster:
    What DoozyUI version are you using?
    When does this happen (what are you doing to get to this error)?
    Does Unity crash?

Thanks!!

Beacom likes this.
  36. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @AdmiralThrawn,

First of all: You guys have put together a great UI library! The simplicity of creating animated buttons is amazing!
    Thank you! :)

One thing I'd like to ask:
    Is there a way to make a button perform an animation which in the end renders the button in some "transformed" state?
    Similar like when you do a tween and you chose a resulting scale increase, a rotation or a movement.

For now you cannot do that, but we are working on implementing such a feature. We have already done it for the UIButton standalone module, but that is not compatible with this version of DoozyUI.

If this feature isn't yet available (or can be achieved by some other workaround), would it be easy for you to add this into a future release?
    You cannot workaround this unless you are doing your own DOTween implementation, and that is not a trivial task. We'll be adding this feature as soon as we can.

37. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @rrahim,

Please check that your UIElement has an IN and an OUT animation set up.
    Are you loading the UIElement from another scene?

38. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @gecko,

Are you using the UINavigation or Playmaker to handle your UI structure?

Any suggestions on how to debug this?

Debug game events using the UIManager and see what happened there.

Are there some keypresses by default that would do this, which we need to disable?
    The only key that is tied to DoozyUI is the 'Back' button aka Escape Key. We do not touch anything else.

If you are using the UINavigation, you might have found a bug and we'll have to take a look at it.
    We await your reply.

39. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Nowlz,

That is strange. Delete that file (UpdateSortingLayerName.cs) as it's no longer needed starting 2.8 and tell us if you get any other errors. The automated process should have deleted it (we'll do a check on it and fix it if that is the case).
    We await your reply.

40. rrahim

rrahim

Hi, yes my UIElement has an IN and OUT, and no it isn't from another scene.
    I'll try poking around it to see if I can figure out what causes it.

Also, I wanted to ask if it was possible to have the inspector elements resize like the other components of a gameobject, since at the moment, it causes a horizontal scrollbar to show on the inspector window but the only things not fitting the window size are the help button and options cog wheel.

41. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. More information regarding the errors;
    - DoozyUI version : 2.8.1p1
    - How did the errors happen? : When recompilation occurs by selecting MasterCanvas or UIElement
    - Did it crash Unity? : No it didn't crash Unity. I could follow the UI Element video tutorial properly from your youtube channel, however I didn't compile a binary to test out if the errors will crash the game/application or not.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Beacom likes this.
  42. Nowlz

Nowlz

In the end I deleted a couple of scripts in the Examples folder and suddenly the Auto update kicked in.

So I've now managed to update to 2.8

I have hit a separate issue though. I have a Main Menu with a UIButton that shows my Level selection (which is a UIElement). If I select a level which changes the scene and then return to the Main Menu changing the scene back. The ShowElement within the UIButton no longer works.

I can see it seems to be that the CurrentOrientation is Unknown and therefore the UIElement isn't displayed.

If I disable the Orientation manager it all works fine.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  43. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

@allemaar look like your latest update doesn't crash me on 2017.02 mac anymore.

44. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

@allemaar But UIElement "Hide on start" still won't work.

45. dFlynnSo

dFlynnSo

Hi,
    in current project i use the latest Master Audio Asset 4.1.4a with DoozyUI 2.8.1p1 and now there is a problem for playing a Sound, all the time if you click on UIButton the Console is logging that MasterAudio could not find sound.
    Is it a Bug? Or my fault?

All Soundfiles added to the Playlist, if i use MasterAudio without DoozyUI with a simple GameObject to play a Sound its working.

greetings
    Dave Flynn So

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  46. WhiteGfx

WhiteGfx

Hi, I have a quick question regarding navigation. When I follow the navigation history, all is ok example (main menu > settings menu > about menu > on settings back button to settings menu > back button to main menu).Sometimes I need to jump to another menu/branch for ex. buy coins from the different menu tree branch.

Questions:
    - is how to jump to the Main Menu and close last opened menu/or any opened (about) and open main menu, without going to settings etc...
    - is there a way to have a semitransparent overlay if any menu opened, to block other an element in game canvas? To have a focus on opened items not a game...

-- Main Menu
    ---- Settings button
    -- Settings Menu
    ---- About Button
    ---- Back Button
    -- About Menu
    ---- Main Menu button
    ---- Back Button

Thank you for your time and have a nice day

47. karmik

karmik

Hi @allemaar
    I am planing to disable canvas at start of game but enable it when pause is clicked.

Does doozy provide a way to do it based on triggers/ game events. Couldn't find it in manual.

48. cparki3

cparki3

I am also experiencing issues with Hide at start... I have also tried accessing the UIElement via script to force it to Hide(true) in both the awake and the start function without success.

49. NoahC88

NoahC88

First of all I want to say this is a great product.
    I had a small error regarding layouts which the execute layout fix box didn't fix. I dug a round really quick and saw that the fix is predicated on the elements having a Canvas component and toggling that really quickly. I'm not sure why you're toggling the canvas, but it didn't work for me, since my glitching elements don't have canvas elements - they're empty containers with LayoutGroups (horizontal, vertical, grid). I fixed this by toggling all components of the type LayoutGroup instead of Canvas, and changing the function to execute this after finishing the animation.

I just made the fix function a public function and call it when the In animation finishes, but I'm sure you can work it in more elegantly.

Anyway, just sharing this in case someone else runs into similar trouble. Very clean product, and extensible so if I want more robust animations like a panning fade it's not hard to get it to work.

50. NoahC88

NoahC88

I'm not a developer for this program, but does your element have an In and Out animation? I ran into a similar issue which vanished when I included animations for entry and exit.