Search Unity

DoozyUI: Complete UI Management System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlexMares, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a free version of DoozyUI with limited features?

Poll closed May 12, 2016.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @ZayLong,

We're glad that the optimizations worked as expected. :)

2. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi All,

We want to do a showcase reel and we would love it if you could tell us what projects (game/apps) you made using DoozyUI. If you have videos, that would be fantastic.

Thank you!

3. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, is that possible to set a few canvas DontDestroyOnLoad()? Steam lobby works better in this way, but it seems DoozyUI is gonna destroy its children anyway?

4. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zhuchun,

Not a bad idea. We can add a DontDestroyOnLoad option for the UICanvas and that should do the trick. We'll look into it and add it in 2.8.1.

Thanks!!!

zhuchun likes this.
  5. Zanderfax

Zanderfax

Sorry for seeming to be obtuse about this issue, but I don't think you are understanding the issue I am having.

Here is the picture of the GameManager GameObject. It has 3 different FSM's associated with it.

upload_2017-7-21_8-6-45.png

I want to send events to both the first AND second FSM's on this GameObject. In the case of the picture, I am sending buttons clicks and game events to the first FSM.

It appears that I have no way of setting up a second Event Dispatcher because I have no way to select a different FSM on the same GameObject. That prevents me from creating an Event Dispatcher for both clientState and gameState FSM's.

So my question is how do I set up an Event Dispatcher for an FSM that is on a GameObject that has multiple FSM's?

6. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Zanderfax,

That is easy, just add as many Event Dispatchers as you need. They are as efficient as an UITrigger so it doesn't matter how may you have in the scene. See image below:
    PlayMaker Event Dispatcher - Usage Example-01.png

To know what FSM is referenced, just look at the FSM Name. :)

7. Zanderfax

Zanderfax

I knew I would need more than one Dispatcher.. just didn't know how to configure it! This was what I was looking for! Thanks for the help.

Z

AlexMares likes this.
  8. AlexMares

AlexMares

9. AlexMares

AlexMares

10. AlexMares

AlexMares

11. AlexMares

AlexMares

12. ZayLong

ZayLong

Had a quick question, I want to initiate a UI Button Click animation with code.

The tooltip says StartOnClickAnimations(); is depreciated.

So whats the proper way to trigger a UIButton/UIElement animation via code?

13. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @ZayLong,

For the UIElement you have the Show and Hide methods. All you need is a reference to that UIElement and call one of those methods. Bear in mind that if the UIElement is hidden Hide will not work and vice versa.

For the UIButton, you do not have a straight forward way to trigger the animations only as we did not assume that was an needed feature (it can be implemented though). You can however simulate a button click, double click and long click by having a reference to that UIButton and calling one of the following public methods:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void SendButtonClick(bool playSound, bool animate, bool sendGameEvents, bool forced = false)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void SendButtonDoubleClick(bool playSound, bool animate, bool sendGameEvents, bool forced = false)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void SendButtonLongClick(bool playSound, bool animate, bool sendGameEvents, bool forced = false)
    May we ask what is your use case scenario? (so that we may improve the system if needed)

14. AlexMares

AlexMares

pageAboutDoozyUIVersion.png
    Submitted for review!

PLEASE BACKUP PROJECTS BEFORE UPDATING!!!
    Please let us know if you find any bugs (or solutions) so that we can improve the asset as fast as possible.

------
    Version 2.8.0p4
    ------
    Fixed an issue with the UITrigger not sending Game Events as expected then the trigger was fired.
    Fixed an issue with the UITriggerEditor trying to add ~Dispatch All~ to the button database.
    Fixed an issue with the UICanvasEditor displaying an info message and showing all the buttons when it was not attached to a root canvas.
    Fixed an issue with the UINotification creation from the context menu, by changing the settings to proper animations.
    Fixed an issue with the UINotification not animating on SHOW if hide@START was set to false (now it is set as 'true' automatically by the system).
    Fixed an issue with the UIElement not loading the proper runtime preset. Loading moved from Start to Awake.

15. AlexMares

AlexMares

16. AlexMares

AlexMares

17. AlexMares

AlexMares

18. ZayLong

ZayLong

I'm making a simon says type of game.
    The player has to press buttons to match the sequence.
    So I'd like to simulate the button click animation whenever "Simon" presses a button.

19. zukinet

zukinet

Hi @allemaar

Are Doozy not supporting Text Mesh Pro anymore ?

i didnt found 3rd party enabled menu for Text Mesh Pro (v2.8p4)

===Update

currently, TextMeshPro not fully support Unity v2017.1 (some functions not work...)
    How to disable text mesh pro on Doozy UI Panel ?
    Are TMP enabled by default ?

Because i got error :

Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/UI/UINotification.cs(469,45): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TMPro' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  20. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @zukinet,

DoozyUI should work with TextMeshPro (if it has been upgraded from a previous version), but we removed the option to toggle it (for now). We decided to do that until Unity tells us what they want to do with it; as having two slightly different TextMeshPro libraries available (the one offered by the original developer and the one offered -for free- by Unity) is only creating a lot of confusion and possible issues.

To answer your question, you can enable and disable support for TextMeshPro by adding/removing 'dUI_TextMeshPro' to/from Scripting Define Symbols of the active build target.
    You can find this by going to Edit > Project Settings > Player > look at the Inspector > open the Other Settings tab > and scroll down to Scripting Define Symbols
    Or go the easy way and download the first plugin we recommended: Ez Defyne Symbols

To fix your issue, just delete 'dUI_TextMeshPro' from Scripting Define Symbols.

We will add the support back as soon as we know what Unity intends to do with TextMeshPro.

Also we intend add support for other assets soon (like Node Canvas).

21. AlexMares

AlexMares

Submitted for review!

Please let us know if you find any bugs (or solutions) so that we can improve the asset as fast as possible.

------
    Version 2.8.0p5
    ------
    Improved UIButton creation in order to make it look closer to the native Unity Button.
    Improved UIElement creation in order to make it look closer to the native Unity Panel.
    Improved UINotification creation in order to make it look closer to the native Unity UI components.

Changed the UIManager 'Show' and 'Hide' algorithms in order to force an Instance creation.
    Changed the UIManager 'Show' execution time from the start of the frame to the end of the frame (this makes 'Show' work when called at Start).

22. dusoft

dusoft

HI! Today, I purchased a "Font Awesome" extensions, and install it successfully, but when I open de Font Awesome windows from Tools--> DoozyUI --> Font Awesome the windows is empty (attached image), no icons are loaded...
    Also more that 999+ debug messages are generated in a few seconds on console windows..

Is it a bug?
    I'm using Unity 5.6.2f1 on macOS, and DoozyUI 2.8.0.p3..

Attached Files:

23. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @dusoft,

We can confirm that is a bug. We're working on it right now and we'll sort this out as soon as possible.
    Thank you for letting us know about this.

Thanks,

Doozy Entertainment

24. AlexMares

AlexMares

Submitted for review!

------
    Version 2.8.0p6
    ------
    Changed the icon color of the Orientation Manager.
    Changed the SceneLoader behaviour by simplifying the workflow. Now it gets automatically added to the current scene by the UIManager and it properly behaves like a Singleton.

Improved SceneLoader game event management.
    Improved UIManager management of the UITriggers.

25. dusoft

dusoft

Ok, Thanks..I'm waiting the fix...

26. tnn112710

tnn112710

I have problems when trying to build the apk.
    Look like Unity does not allow AssetDatabase on builds
    I also emailed you about this problem (In that email, I said I was using 2.8.0p4, but actually it should by 2.8.0p6)

Attached Files:

27. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @dusoft,

We are almost ready with the fix (it's quite big as we added the new interface), and it will be a lot more user friendly.

28. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @tnn112710,

Thank you for telling us about this.
    Indeed this is a bug and we'll fix it right away.
    We'll keep you posted.

29. tnn112710

tnn112710

So if I have to update the plugin, will just redownload it and override current version or I have to delete current one before import the new one?

30. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @tnn112710,

We'll send you an unitypackage file and you'll just install that over your project (so that you won't have to wait 24-48 hours for the update to go live on the Asset Store).

Normally you just install the update from the Asset Store and you'll be good to go. We try, with every single update, not to affect ongoing projects.

So, to answer your question, you do not need to delete anything. An update will not affect your project (but just to be safe, make a backup before every update).

31. AlexMares

AlexMares

Submitted for review!

------
    Version 2.8.0p7
    ------
    Fixed an important issue with the DUI script, that referenced the AssetDatabase outside of the UNITY_EDITOR. This generated errors at build time.

32. cparki3

cparki3

Thanks! I just noticed this myself and was about to post here about it :)

AlexMares likes this.
  33. AlexMares

AlexMares

@cparki3 - Thank you! :)

Hi All,

We apologize for the amount of patches that we released lately. This being a new core we want to fix any issues that we/you find, as fast as possible. The updates are safe (we check them before any release) and they should not mess your ongoing projects.

We constantly test the system to be as efficient as possible and should you find any bugs or memory load issues, please let us know.

All your suggestions are noted and we will be starting to add them as new features very soon.

As a side note:
    - the Font Awesome module will be released shortly with a new interface and with the font version updated to 4.7. As soon as the font 'Font Awesome' version 5 gets released to the general public, we will be updating the module as well.

rrahim likes this.
  34. aheidorn

aheidorn

Hi @allemaar,

I just tried updating my project using Unity 5.6.2p4 and DoozyUI 2.7 to DoozyUI 2.8p6.
    Installation went well, conversion scripts ran, and I updated each scene as instructed.

However, I found the following issues (some minor, some not) that you might know about, or would like to:
    1 - Empty 'DoozyUI' GameObject in scene after conversion. Doesn't appear to be a problem, I assume I can just delete this from the scene(s)?
    2 - Left over Animation (ButtonScaleAnimation) and Particle Effects (glow1) after 'Cleaning'. Are these still needed?
    3 - All In/Out Animations on UIElements are reset to none (not preserved). This is more problematic, in that I need to go to each UIElement and re-add each in and out animation - if I can remember. Also, 'Default Preset' is not preserved. Named presets look like they are.
    4 - Some Start/Finish Animation Events in UIElements are not preserved. Again, problematic in that I'd have to hook those up again if I remember them properly.
    5 - Unclear what I should do with custom UINotifications prefabs I have in Resources. Do I need to add those to the Notifications Control Panel?

Thanks!

35. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @aheidorn,

Thank you for letting us know about this. DoozyUI 2.8 is a new core and we tried to make the transition as painless as possible. Telling us about this kind of issues helps a lot, as we know what to look for in order to improve the system.

1 - Empty 'DoozyUI' GameObject in scene after conversion. Doesn't appear to be a problem, I assume I can just delete this from the scene(s)?
    Yes, there is not problem in deleting it. In the previous workflow you had to had all of your UI under that gameObject's child, the UI Container. That is no longer the case. We did not delete it automatically in case anyone had any scrips attached to it in their projects.

2 - Left over Animation (ButtonScaleAnimation) and Particle Effects (glow1) after 'Cleaning'. Are these still needed?
    They are not needed if you are not using/referencing them. Again, we left them out of the automated deletion, not to break ongoing projects.

3 - All In/Out Animations on UIElements are reset to none (not preserved). This is more problematic, in that I need to go to each UIElement and re-add each in and out animation - if I can remember. Also, 'Default Preset' is not preserved. Named presets look like they are.
    We copy only the animation settings, not the presets. We decided not to copy the old presets since we added over 400 new animation settings. The old presets were saved as 'xml' files and the new ones are saved as 'asset' files (scriptable objects).

4 - Some Start/Finish Animation Events in UIElements are not preserved. Again, problematic in that I'd have to hook those up again if I remember them properly.
    That happened because we kept most, but not all of the variables form the old version. UnityEvents were not all kept, as they were named, in order to have a consistent naming convention in the entire system. Also, we cannot copy persistent listeners from one UnityEvent to another.

5 - Unclear what I should do with custom UINotifications prefabs I have in Resources. Do I need to add those to the Notifications Control Panel?
    You can leave them in there and they will work, or you can reference them to the 'UI Notification Manager' found on the UIManager gameObject. Please watch the UINotification video, in order to know about the new workflow options that are available to you.

Thank you!

Doozy Entertainment

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  36. witcher101

witcher101

wen is new patch gona be live. i am unable to build my project

37. cgarossi

cgarossi

Hi

Does this support all UI elements that are in Unity? I use a lot of dropdowns and sliders.

38. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @witcher101,

We are waiting for the Unity Asset Store team to approve it.
    In the mean time, send us an email at support@doozyentertainment.com and we'll send you an instant fix so that you don't have to wait.

39. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @cgarossi,

DoozyUI uses the native Unity UI framework, it does not replace it. Thus it will be compatible and will work with all the Unity native components and any other asset that is properly set up to work with uGUI.

40. esteban16108

esteban16108

Hi @allemaar

First time using DoozyUI.

I just created a test project and added DoozyUI asset but didn't add any UI yet, but when I try to build for Android I get the following error:

The name `AssetDatabase' does not exist in the current context
    Compiler Error at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/DUI/DUI.cs:75 column 54

Any clue what could be happening.

I did built successfully another small project for android without DoozyUI tho.

Regards.

Edit: Unity 2017.1.0f3

41. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @esteban16108,

The name `AssetDatabase' does not exist in the current context
    Compiler Error at Assets/DoozyUI/Scripts/DUI/DUI.cs:75 column 54

Any clue what could be happening.

Yes. We made the new UIElement, UIButton and UINotifications use native Unity sprites, in version 2.8.0p6. We just forgot to place the AssetDatabase calls under an UNITY_EDITOR if statement.

The fix to this issue has already been submitted to the Asset Store and we wait for it to be approved.

In the mean time, if you're in a hurry, please send us an email at support@doozyentertainmemet.com with the fix request and we'll send it to you right away.

Cheers,

Doozy Entertainment

42. witcher101

witcher101

Is it possible to use UIeffects with screenspace overlay. Bec wen i try it doesnt seem to work

43. Zanderfax

Zanderfax

Hello all,

Quick question: Can you send data with a game event?

As an example, I have some fields on the button with dynamic data in them (A prefab) and when I click on the button I want to sent the info from those fields to a method.

Is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated!

Z

44. Mirgan

Mirgan

Hi Doozy!

I think your buttons works wrong, when i set Time.timeScale to zero. I need click twice on button to invoce single click.
    I change line 1302 in UIButton from
    doubleClickTimeoutCounter += Time.deltaTime;
    to
    doubleClickTimeoutCounter += Time.unscaledDeltaTime;
    And now all works fine. Please correct so I do not have to edit this every time after the update.
    And one more question - why you toggle pause in BackButtonEvent()? In my Pause Menu i have inventory and then i close inventory window, the game is removed from a pause, but pause window still on screen. I have to comment these lines after each update.
    //if (gamePaused) //if the game is paused, we unpause it
    // TogglePause();

45. letchuck

letchuck

Hi @allemaar,

I'm trying to align a panel dynamically based on a world position. It works fine by getting the location and making some magic based on the screen size and the canvas and whatnot.

However, if I try to add an In Animation, it always goes to the default position of the panel prior to runtime. Is there a way around this?
    Breaking it down step by step:

-Before runtime, panel is set to default 0,0,0 position
    -Click on a game world object
    -Script calculates the correct RectTransform for the panel based on real world coordinates, and places the panel there
    -Set the element to use custom start, and also set the custom start position to be the same as the RectTransform, so that it will start in the correct place
    -Begin In Animation (It's only a simple Scale)
    -Animation starts in the right spot, perfectly
    -As soon as animation is over, the panel is instantly moved back to 0,0,0, despite the RectTransform already in the correct position.

Is there some setting I am missing to avoid this issue?
    If not, is there a way with DoozyUI to anchor the panel based on a world position?

46. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @witcher101,

The current implementation of Unity's UI framework does not allow for this type of sorting. The UI will always be drawn on top of everything else (including the ParticleSystem). You can have particles behind the UI, but not if front of it. Unity announced that they will be addressing the usage of ParticleSystem components with the UI in the near future.

This limitation is set by Unity and we cannot do anything about it. To take advantage of the sorting order set your root canvas render mode to Screen Space - Camera or World Space.

47. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Zanderfax,

Quick question: Can you send data with a game event?
    No. The game event is a simple string that is easy to read and understand. We did not add the option of sending dynamic data.

However, there is an internal Message class available inside DoozyUI, that we currently do not use, that can do just that. We'll look into to and see how we can add it as a secondary layer to the game event system. This implementation will have to be opt in as it adds a bit of overhead.

48. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @Migran,

I think your buttons works wrong, when i set Time.timeScale to zero. I need click twice on button to invoce single click.
    That is a good catch, as we missed that one. We made the changes and also changed the long click Time.deltaTime to Time.unscaledDeltaTime. Next patch will come with these changes.

And one more question - why you toggle pause in BackButtonEvent()? In my Pause Menu i have inventory and then i close inventory window, the game is removed from a pause, but pause window still on screen

Until version 2.8 we assumed that the 'Pause Game' would have a single UIElement and not several. You have a valid point and the 'Back' button should not automatically unpause the game. As this feature lowers the system's flexibility, we will remove it starting with the next patch.

Thank you for telling us about this. Should you have any other suggestions, please let us know.

49. AlexMares

AlexMares

Hi @letchuck,

I'll explain how the system works first and then we might just find a solution to your particular use case scenario (spoiler: we already found the problem).

I'll assume that you use customStartPosition.

1. At runtime, the UIElement snaps to the customStartPosition.
    2. Then it gets hidden (if that is set to happen) instantly. Instant hide does not create a tween (very efficient).
    3. A show command is issued for this UIElement (for example)
    4. The UIElement snaps to the start of the IN Animation location/rotation/scale/fade
    5. IN Animation plays
    6. IN Animation finishes and as a backup, it does a Reset to make sure all the settings (position, rotation, scale, fade) are set to their initial values.

For your particular case, change the customStartPosition value to your new location and it will work (starting with the next patch). Right now, with your current version, it will not work. Why? Because when we do the Reset we do not check if you are using the customStartPosition or not (this mistake is on us). The current implementation resets to the startPosition. We corrected the code and starting from version 2.8.0p8 this will get fixed and your code will work as expected.

The next patch will get released in a few days. Should you need the fix a bit faster, please send us an email at support@doozyentertainment.com, and we'll send you the patched file.

Of course, if you find any other issues (or solutions), please let us know.
    This is a complex system and human error is sometimes unavoidable :p.

letchuck likes this.
  50. AlexMares

AlexMares

Some insight about DoozyUI...

You should know that DoozyUI's core can be split into two different code bases. The editor part (the code that is for the Unity Editor only) and the build/runtime part (the code that gets added to the build package).

As the editor code gets stripped at build time, our main priority is the build/runtime core to run as smooth and fast as possible. So even though, in the Editor, you notice some database synchronizations, that may seem like lags, they are part of the editor code base and they do not and should not affect the end product in any way.

That being said, if you find an issue or maybe a solution, related to any part of the system, it is very important that we know on what side of the code this happens. We will always prioritize build/runtime code over editor code.

That being said, we are ok for the developer to have to wait a bit for the editor code to do the sycronizations, but we expect the build/runtime code to run fast and memory efficient. Please take that into consideration when working with the system.

Profiler tests done in the Unity Editor do not yield accurate results as you have the editor code running in the background as well. Please test your builds directly on the build platform (and tell us if you find any issues). This way we can improve the system as much as possible and you get a better product.