Search Unity

Doom from 1993 rebuilt with Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter77, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Will this port even be released for PC?

Oh well, I'm still not convinced it's as easy to recreate the exact feel of doom as you and @murglgl are believing. Couldn't be wrong

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Nothing is impossible, but I think it's hard to port it to unity without a hardcore doom player like myself not notice

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

So you'd say this example is wrong?

And, again, I have played numerous Doom remakes and basically cut my teeth with Doom as my first "big deal" game.

You can absolutely do this, especially when the original Doom was locked to a limited palette and 35fps. Emulating (as in "match or surpass (a person or achievement), typically by imitation.") that output is not taxing.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would ask hypothetically, do you have same keyboard, as when you played doom in last century? I think that would be first thing to look at, as hardcore fan :)
    You know, there is also perception about played games in past, which changes, when aging.

Martin_H likes this.
  6. Oh man, straw man and non-sequitur like this thread.

Antypodish likes this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Back then I had a rubber dome keyboard from keytronics. Today I have a mechanical switch keyboard. The rubber dome keyboards of that time was pretty similar to today's mechanical switch keyboards

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I was banned? Have missed that, was away on vacation. Probably that zombieguy abusing his position like always.

On S*** hardware like that, it's probably easier to get away with it.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

...You know, I don't think you're nearly as perceptive as you think you are, because even back then mechanical keyboards with buckling springs felt worlds apart from rubber domes, even the better ones. Like, it was a night and day thing.

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Nah, the keytronics rubber domes was very similar to cherry MX red, which I have in my keyboard.

12. Arowx

Arowx

I wonder if input lag was lower on old school hardware?

For example if a keyboard input were to trigger a hardware interrupt and update the game within that frame, as opposed to waiting for the next frame?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Martin_H likes this.
  13. Murgilod

Murgilod

They really don't, I've used Key Tronic keyboards a lot and the downward travel and upward response is entirely different. I'm using a Cherry MX Red board right now.

angrypenguin likes this.
  14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Not 100 procent, but very similar especially the pushback force and feel. I talk about the rubber domes around 92 the later ones around 97 changed

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yes, I've used a wide range of keyboards. It comes with the territory.

But see, that's the thing. You keep moving your goalposts of what counts in this situation, claiming that things will be too different for you to notice, but then when pressed about this stuff, you backpedal until you can make it look like you're replying to the actual point, which you can't. So I'm going to ask again outright:

What is Doom, a game that initially released in 1993, a game that ran originally in 256 colour mode, a game that had a 35 fps cap, doing that Unity can not recreate? Show your work.

Ony and Martin_H like this.
  16. Martin_H

Martin_H

Would it be possible in UE4 too? I can only look at that engine as a gamer and both from my experience and what I read on questionable and highly opinionated sources like steam forums, there seem to be some issues with mouse input lag on most or all UE4 shooters.

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can bypass the whole input system through direct coding if you want.

angrypenguin and Martin_H like this.
  18. You can recreate it in practically any engines today. The bar (in terms of performance and style) is so low, you do not need a high-preformance engine for this.

This thread is highly opinionated as well. The game-play "feel" is highly subjective and everyone have different tolerance level what they call "faithful recreation of the original look and feel" and what's not.
    There is no perfection involved, since we are talking about different architecture, computers, input devices, speeds, monitors, memory, GPUs, etc.
    But you can take the hearth of the look and feel, define for yourself what you think it is (snappy jumps with high level of airborne control with high intensity of shooting or blocky graphics or the gory details?) and put it into your creation.
    The more you do this the more you will be close in terms of >>>feeling<<< to the original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
    Ony, Martin_H and Antypodish like this.
  19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Said that in my original post,the feel. There will be differences. But probably not as noticable on potato hardware and input system like a console

20. Martin_H

Martin_H

Why is no one doing it then, if the default one is so laggy? Seems like a no-brainer to me for any competitive FPS.

But you could record a sequence of inputs, record to video how the original and the emulation react to those inputs, and then compare how close you got. It doesn't have to be subjective imho. You can measure differences if you really care.

I just got an idea for a great @Arowx thread: How long till we can train a neural net to emulate doom just by training it on a data set of keyboard inputs and gameplay footage? :D

Just the screens alone already had vastly less input lag. USB probably has more lag than PS2 too, though I'm not sure.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

Well, the first one I'm discovering is that the input lag fixes were applied in the main branch about a year ago. This kinda adds up, since this is about when I stopped really poking at UE4 with any sincerity, so my info is a bit out of date.

"The feel" is not a useful metric here. Why does it feel different? What are the specific reasons.

Show your work.

Martin_H likes this.
  22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Please recreate doom, I can playtest it for you when your are done

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ony likes this.
  24. It's not enough, IMHO. We're talking about game-play here. Many other things in play when you judge if a game delivers the feeling of something or not. Even the knowledge that it has been created in Unity can be a factor.
    And ultimately it does not worth it. If you want to make a good game today, even if you are recreating something from the past, you should NOT do it bit by bit. That's a lie. You will have an exact copy of the original, but you won't have the same feeling. You won't have the same game-play impression. Because people change, technology change, feelings change.
    You're better off to concentrate on couple of things which is proven to be important for a good game AND the original have something characteristic in there. Like I mentioned, snappy jumpy movement with airborne controls and blocky graphics with relatively small level footprint.

This is why I think @AndersMalmgren's "exact", and "perfect" statements are BS. Even back then, the experience of two players weren't exactly and perfectly the same. It is subjective.

25. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If it was that easy than S*** shooter clones like Homefront (Battlefield clone) would have great feeling. It does not. Very clunky feel. You guys are underestimating the work. Maybe I'm over estimating it, but its not has trivial as you make it out to be

26. Well, you said "It is impossible". We said "it is possible, start here <insert my previous post here>".

I didn't say anything about how hard it is and more importantly how hard it is to convince you. And honestly, no one cares about your experience particularly. And we shouldn't. We should aim for the most market, the most people who is probably willing to play the game.
    You are a very bad market in terms of doom-clones, because you have a particular expectation which you fail to communicate what is it. Most people does not have this urge to judge other people's work if it is perfect or not. They usually are aiming for the "good enough" and go on with their lives.

angrypenguin and Ony like this.
  27. Murgilod

Murgilod

Homefront was not trying to be Battlefield 1:1, it was trying to be something that could exist in the Battlefield space. That is not about recreation at all, of course it'll be different.

28. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Oh I most definitly think it's impossible to make a version that I will not feel the difference from the orginal, I was one of the best players in the world at the time after all. But it's probably possible to make a game that's close enough. Still not easy. Bethesda failed for example

29. Antypodish

Antypodish

Sometimes I got trouble recognize sarcasm, from trolling ....

Anyway, is anybody tried make doom in Project Tiny yet, even is aimed for mainly 2D games :)

Peter77, angrypenguin and Ony like this.
  30. Martin_H

Martin_H

Cool! What was your nickname?

At its time I liked Homefront's multiplayer more than both COD and Battlefield, and I regretted that it didn't take off (notice how I didn't say it was better, just that I liked it more). I played Homefront Revolution's singleplayer campaign and thought it was a well made shooter with some of the best visuals I've ever seen in a PC game. I've bought and played through all the DLC too, which I rarely do, even for games that I like. I hope to see another sequel some day.

Ony likes this.
  31. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

The controls were clunky as hell in homefront. Unplayable.

I nicked The trashman back then, we had a BBS we called the Dump. :) this was in 1995 when only the original IPX network version existed.

Martin_H likes this.
  32. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you win a nation championship you are probably one of the best, especially back then. (Today there are so many more active players) Anyway thats not the point.

To get to that skill level you play the S*** out of the game, you know exactly how far it is from every spawn on the map to the bfg, every sound and what that means were you oponent are. And a million other details like that. It's harder to trick a player like that.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  33. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If it were eaay to recreate a game in every way we wouldn't be here, this thread wouldn't exist because no one would know the game is a remake.

34. Murgilod

Murgilod

We wouldn't be here because we'd be... copying other people's games or something? What?

35. Martin_H

Martin_H

I played it on xBox 360, maybe the PC port was rubbish? I've had that feeling with a few console to pc ports of that era. Felt as if they internally use the mouse input to emulate a gamepad. Was it like that?

Ok, I believe you :).

Maybe you two should duel in Quake Live or something, and get it out of your system :D.

AndersMalmgren, Antypodish and Ony like this.
  36. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I would love to see a Digital Foundry tech analysis of the Doom re-release. :)

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  37. xVergilx

xVergilx

AndersMalmgren and Peter77 like this.
  38. Antypodish

Antypodish

So weird, when game which suppose to fit on few floppy disks, needs half GB :)
    What a waste.

39. Baste

Baste

@zombiegorilla It's pretty annoying to see an avatar and just go "oh now this thread isn't worth reading anymore". Any chance of making that ban permanent?

40. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

More so since that engine was so easy to port. There is no reason to remake the game.

41. Martin_H

Martin_H

Just put him on your ignore list and you wont see him again, if that's what you want.

Ony and Aiursrage2k like this.
  42. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

43. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Glad to hear he likes doom 3, great minds think alike, most don't like it.

Martin_H and Ony like this.
  44. Ony

Ony

I loved Doom 3. Love all of them, actually. I love Doom. Doom Doom DOOM DOOM DOOM! DOOM!

Martin_H and AndersMalmgren like this.
  45. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I'm not a super fan of the new doom games, but I haven't played that much, can't support Zenimax :)

Ony likes this.
  46. Martin_H

Martin_H

Doom 3 was cool and I actually liked the bold design choice to make you choose between flashlight and gun. I heard in the BFG edition they brightened up a lot of the pitch black shadows and removed that flashlight limitation. Seemed like a weak compromise to appeal more to casual gamers... so I never played the BFG edition.

Ony likes this.
  47. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its not brighter, still pitch black for example on that scene when the creature sample conveyor belt is your only light source. But yeah, the flashlight can be used at all times.

I always minimized the use of flashlight because the gfx are so nice when only the light in the world is used.

I'm VR you atleast feel a bit badass wielding the flashlight :)

48. Ony

Ony

ok now I have to go play Doom 3 again. Thanks a lot, guys. Like I don't have too many things to do already. :eek:

Peter77 and AndersMalmgren like this.
  49. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Play it in VR it's like the game is rebirthed

Ony likes this.
  50. Ony

Ony

I need to get a VR setup at some point. What do you use?

Aiursrage2k likes this.