Search Unity

DOOM, are you excited?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ADNCG, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Blacklight

Blacklight

I've been having a lot of fun with it. I was skeptical about the glory kill things but I rather liked the effect on combat it has.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. darkhog

darkhog

The chainsaw is not as much fun to use as it was in the original game due to it having "ammo". You can't just run around with it like a maniac killing everything that stands in your way, cackling insanely. And that's how you are SUPPOSED to use Doom's Chainsaw of Doom.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. Martin_H

Martin_H

Ony likes this.
  4. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Doom...

Hollow, empty, play-it-safey gore shooter with no cover, simplistic charging enemies, lots of hissing sounds and an obsession with killing all monsters NOT WITH GUNS but by PUNCHING THEIR HEADS.

All of this is justified because "omg its gruesome".

No. It's childish. It's like a teen boy's version of gruesome. Not scary. The bad guys don't even feel evil. Original Doom felt evil, weirdly so. This game feels... meehhhh. I kind of feel like I could make a more evil, black hearted first person shooter.

Violence is not how you achieve the dark feeling... ugh. SMH. You do it through dissonance of the expected norm of the human psyche and inverting the expectations entrenched in the human experience. When you do the right thing, the right thing doesn't result... you have to make choices between the lesser of two evils... you have to do unthinkable things just to survive.

Doom is a worse shooter and less dark and brooding than 90's era Turok, (which you can pick up remastered on Steam for $19.99) If anyone wants to gift it to me PM me. :D

TL;DR... Punching skeletons != battling demons from a dimension of pure evil.

The demons should be having fun. I mean, just putting a smile on their faces would have upped the wtf factor. But they're angry and hissing... wtf? Why would pure evil unleashed be angry? SMH

THESE people have jobs.

NotTesla and goat like this.
  5. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

...I didn't pick up on all of this S*** Jim is saying about how the Doom guy just doesn't care... and how he has so much contempt... I feel like he just made all that up and he's running with it. It's like he's projecting his feelings onto the game. Maybe the Doom guy is just pissed off because they tried to kill him. Maybe he is insane. Maybe he is possessed, himself.

One guy's impression of the story should not be magnified to the level of accepted fact simply because he is English, fat and wearing a ridiculous outfit. I think the Doom guy has no personality and he's behaving like an angry teenager. I feel like Bethesda could have even paid Jim to explain the character's motivations to help sell the game in more people's minds. I mean, swear to God its a flip of the F***ing switch with these reviewers... either they hate, hate, hate everything about everything or they love something. Don't understand why Jim is F***ing telling the story of Doom when the game makes no attempt to do so, itself.

It's like someone handed him a script and said, "So here's what we would like you to explain to people. So they can appreciate how great our game is."

Pay to play, anti freedom of speech bought and paid for horse crap. The game is not great. I have eyes and ears. I am so tired of people telling me stuff is so great when it clearly sucks.

Doom suffered in development hell for a half decade, was scrapped probably multiple times, careers ended because of the problems they had merging teams and finding a direction, and in the end you get a generic fps that is mostly about the character cracking his knuckles and trying to look badass.

Trying.

"Hey lets start with a super hero pose jump off a cliff."

"Okay."

At least Master Chief fell from F***ing low earth orbit. That was cool.

Doom guy hates computer monitors. bfd

NEDM makes this game cool.

NotTesla and goat like this.
  6. goat

goat

A new Doom and the entire genre of those games is like watching an episode of <your favorite show here> for the gazillionth time, it's not even exciting or interesting.

Master-Frog likes this.
  7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I guess it never occurred to you that different people are capable of having different opinions? And that if someone has a different opinion than you, it's actually NOT a bizarre conspiracy theory involving bribes? Well, since it never occurred to you, I gonna tell you straight: different people have different opinions. And you do not have any special perceptions that make you "more right" or anything. Yep! Mind-blowing!

--Eric

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

The game is really bad. Very repetitive levels with almost no inspiration, nothing new, basic sounds and music, very basic gameplay , borring ennemies, unecessary close combat slowing down the game rythm.
    But some people like just shooting repetitively at demons :rolleyes:

9. N1warhead

N1warhead

I tried to like it, but I simply didn't... Pft didn't even have the classic air controls.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

"The classic air controls"? The original had no jumping at all.

--Eric

Kiwasi and Martin_H like this.
  11. neginfinity

neginfinity

I played the demo during the weekend. Well, the game has mouse smoothing on by default, and it is VERY hard to turn it off (it overwrites value to "on" at every opportunity it gets).

"Atmosphere" of the game is off. They try to stick bioshock/systemshock-like ghosts into it... and excuse me doom guy was never about "awesome armor". He's not Gordon Freemon or Master Chief. Obligatory finishing movies disrupt combat flow in my opinion. The game could also use more enemies.

Basically, they obviously tried, but it still isn't quite what it should've been.

Kiwasi likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Still haven't got it, but with everyone praising the campaign, so I'll definitely be getting it soon, just waiting for it to be reduced a bit. But Doom is high up on my list of games to get.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  13. N1warhead

N1warhead

Crap forgot about that haha. Just so used to all the classics having air control jumping, I've always been more of a Duke Nukem 3D fan. Just forgot the original dooms didn't have jumping.

14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Has it ever occurred to you that you don't have to apologize for your own opinion, or change it because of someone else's opinion?

That's because everybody gets their own. That's how that works.

I think Jim was probably paid to praise the game. I really think that. And you know what? I may be right, and that's just something that those who hold differing opinions are just going to have to pull up their big boy pants and deal with. You have to tolerate other opinions. It's the core tenant of discussion, of free speech--hell, of the whole of western civilization.

Why the heck else is this man sitting there literally telling us the story of Doom? A close second theory is that he just needs video views and the game is popular, and you catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar. Money is behind most things. He's just media.

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't see the post you're quoting implying either of those things?

16. neginfinity

neginfinity

They also didn't have crouching. Or reloading. Or iron-sights, alt-fire, etc. Also vertical aim was automatic.

I also don't exaclty remember any sort of air control in the old ID games (like Quake series). once you got momentum, you kept moving in that direction (while your trajectory was being adjusted by gravity) and the only air control was blasting nearby wall with rocket launcher.

N1warhead likes this.
  17. Murgilod

Murgilod

I find it's best not to take the statements of people who accuse people who like a thing of being paid shills too seriously.

Martin_H and angrypenguin like this.
  18. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Do I have to reply to every single person who replies to every single thing that I say to every single person? Do I have to? Must I?

Let's break it down:

I have really yet to see that many people have opinions on very much at all. I see a lot of people who buy things that are advertised to them. I see a lot of people try stuff based on suggestions from friends and co-workers, etc. But, no, every person on this planet does not have a litany of very strong opinions about everything around them at all times. Do you know how I know this? Because there is a word specifically for people who have lots of opinions. It is: Opinionated. Not everybody is this. I have asked a lot of people what they think about a lot of things, and not everybody really thinks all that deeply about everything. Even fewer can really articulate what they think. So I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to accept that each opinionated person represents a certain segment of the population and that there are a lot of people who agree with me. I don't actually *care* about someone else's opinions, I can listen to them... but I disagree with them, because I formed my own opinion.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Pu...y-Influenced-By-Trips-Parties-Swag-48395.html

Read. Everyone. Read, learn. Study. Money talks.

See above.

...ah. I would respond to this, but I know what the result would be... nice try.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, and I would highly recommend not doing so.

Yes, and that includes you putting on your big-boy pants and accepting that people can legit like the game. You're not special for having opinions, despite what you claimed above (though you might as well shout "wake up sheeple!" and complete the cliché). Also, angrypenguin is correct that I didn't say or imply that you had to change your opinions. You can hate the game with a burning passion and jump up and down on the game box (or an effigy of the game if you have it on Steam) for days on end in a raging tantrum for all I care. What I am telling you is to suck it up and deal with the fact that some people like the game.

--Eric

Martin_H and angrypenguin like this.
  20. Blacklight

Blacklight

Why is the first response to a youtuber liking something always: "They were PAID to like it!"?
    I actually follow a lot of his work, and personally I think he'd have to be one hell of a liar to be running a scheme like that.

21. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I have never, in my recollection, claimed this before. I don't recall hearing this said before, either. The only reason I said this was because I saw a video in which Jim was literally adding to the game, adding his impression of the story about how the character has 'silent contempt' for this and how 'he can not tolerate' that, and I have even read similar things elsewhere where people are saying 'he is the strongest character in gaming, because he doesn't need words to convey all of this meaning'... which can I just say is, again, bullshit. And here is why it is bullshit. Because just like everyone has their own opinion, everyone has their own perspective, perception, etc. When he is pushing the monitor out of the way because he doesn't want to read what it has to say, he could just be impatient. He could be a brute. He could not be the smartest bulb in the box and just doesn't have time to waste trying to figure stuff out he can't figure out. When he is being told how to shut down those reactor things, and he just kicks them, he fiddles with it at first... he looks at it from different angles. He just doesn't know what he's looking at. That's how it comes across. But, for someone to say that the game has this great depth of story... because of meaning that they added to the game in their own head... that's F***ing bullshit. However, that is great game design in a way... proof that silent protagonist's do work as a mere vehicle for egomaniac's to project into. HOWEVER, that does not mean that DooM has a great story.

I hope some people like it, it's brutal. It has a very impressive selection of guns that are all in very good taste, with the sole exception being that oddball blue orb rifle... which has that shockwave attack which looks super awesome, anyhow. If people like it, it's not because of the incredible storytelling, the fantastic theme, the brilliant three-dimensional characters or any of that. It's because demons get their heads exploded. I think that's what really frustrated me about Jim's little review.

Now that's my objective perspective. My personal feelings are that the game is childish. It is silly. Why do I care? Because I really feel like this would have been something I could have liked. I wanted to like it. Wanted it to grab me and take me for a ride. And all it was was this... F***, that's it? And for five years and innumerable dollars it is F***ing sad that this is all they could come up with. Sad because I think any of us who considers ourselves even somewhat of a game designer could have come up with this. Maybe we couldn't have executed it, but there's nothing unique or good about this game. There's stupid upgrades. Glory kills feel tacked on to add extra hardcore-ness to a game that is decidedly not all that hardcore. I dunno. I just expected more from the original FPS. It makes me resent the game. Doom guy just punches everything, to the point of me being like... is he seriously punching the F***ing power-ups? Seriously? Is that what is happening?

Maybe I just don't get it.

Nobody is a bad person for liking this game, or a dumb person, or a childish person. If this makes you have fun, that's cool. I wish I could see what is so great about it but to me it just makes me want to roll my eyes.

EDIT: But I bet that time will show the lasting impression of this game was a big "meh" in the grand scheme of things.

22. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I just don't know what to do with this.

It seems like you just want to attack me on the grounds that "I'm not as special as I so obviously think that I am".

And you're putting words in my mouth...

You get a pass because you're a legend on these forums and you know what, that has to F***ing count for something. So, instead of doing what I'd normally do, I'm gonna sit on it. I'm gonna think about it. Maybe there's some validity to what you're saying, maybe there isn't. I'm not going to snap and lose my cool. Die another day. Live and let live. Thunderball. Goldfinger. Amen.

23. Blacklight

Blacklight

I didn't mean you specifically. It seems to come up whenever a game is rated highly but there is still a group who hate it and can't accept that people could like something they didn't.

I thought Jim's interpretation was quite reasonable and made a lot of sense to me. He didn't 'add' meaning to the game, rather interpret a character's personality from their actions. He praised the game for including those details and creating a character that is right at home in both cutscenes and gameplay. In many other games you have characters who are interesting, likeable people in cutsences, and horrifying, merciless, mass-murdering psychopaths during gameplay. The Doom Guy is the personification of the experience that the game offers: a relentless powerhouse of a man who gives no S***s and lives to slaughter the forces of hell, both during cutscenes and gameplay. It's fine if you have your own interpretation, but that doesn't make everyone else wrong.

I also think Doom does have a great story. Just because it doesn't include huge cast of three-dimensional characters or a epic plot filled with twists and intrigue doesn't make it bad. It works excellently as a framing device for the game play, doesn't constantly force itself down the player's throat and has tonnes of interesting little elements that are available if you want to look further into it.
    ...or you can completely ignore it and just focus on killing demons. That's one of the reasons I like it. Gameplay is king in Doom, and the story was designed with that in mind.

You're right in that its not perfect and just as a story it isn't exactly going to be winning any awards, that but as a Doom game story its excellent. It's the icing on the cake.

I understand that. It's not for you and that's fine (actually, that's almost exactly how I feel about the Souls games).

Master-Frog likes this.
  24. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

*sees opportunity*
    *grits teeth*
    *decides not to push everyone's buttons*

25. N1warhead

N1warhead

I simply dislike it not just because of the controls. But because it doesn't have the epic nostalgia that the 2d in a 3D world gave off... There's just something about how them games were made back then, I can't even say what it is that made them just feel correct.. For all I know it could just be a growing up with it factor and that nothing can compete with my childhood games LOL.

26. darkhog

darkhog

Exactly. As much as I know Jim, if he would be actually paid to do this, he'd put disclaimer about it in the video, just like he does when he reviews any game he takes part with, be it voice acting or something else.

27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is a lot too this. I'm actually of the opinion that art doesn't exist in a vacuum, it needs the social context that it's created in to give it meaning.

So when we look back at the days of playing Doom, it's not just the game play and level design and cutting edge graphics that counts. Doom was the beginning of games for many people. Its hard to duplicate the 'first awesome game I've ever seen' feeling in today's world. Doom was also edgy, it features demons and he'll and killing things, it was in part a way of rebelling against the morals of our parents. Games were also still mostly a secret community, with magazines and floppy disks and seedy salesmen.

It's not just nostalgia. It's more complex then that. But I doubt we will ever see the same social conditions again to create the feeling of playing Doom in the 90's. No matter how much devs try.

We just have to enjoy the other great things happening now.

N1warhead likes this.
  28. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It does seem like being "wined & dined" is something more for the big press your IGNs, GameSpot and folks like that. I definitely get what @Master Frog is saying in general and is one of the reasons why I put more value on what Little Known Jane or Joe Blog/Video reviewer has to say about a game than I do the mainstream coverage. That goes up to include folks like TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling although I don't watch many of Jim's videos.

I'd guess they might possibly be on the radar for some "greasing" but is much less likely because as far as I know these folks are doing their video reviews out of their homes and possibly even on the side of a job. Meaning they don't travel around routinely visiting events and companies like the mainstream press. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it happens (or has happened) at some point that a big company tries to sweeten the reviews of such folks as JS, TB, MP and PDP. There is a massive number of eyeballs there. Just it is tiny compared to the eyeballs on the mainstream press.

29. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

There's also the "real" differences between modern games and older games. Things that gamers miss not out of nostalgia or anything other than the game experience: these include the level design in general, the secrets, the "dance" with the enemies, the exploration, the ability pack any and all weapons at one time, the faster movement speed and the lack of moving from point A to B to watch the next cut scene.

The new Doom seems to capture some of these things at least. Just probably not enough to pull in the hardcore classic FPS gamers.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    N1warhead likes this.
  30. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

These differences are important. And they are not everything going on here.

There are games that hit all of these points. And yet they are still not the same as playing Doom in the 90s. If it was just about the physical stuff there would be a market for the original game still. Or at least for level packs for the original game.

N1warhead likes this.
  31. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I'd agree with that. Well as far as there is not a mainstream market for the old FPS games. It'd be a great Indie market though. Games like Ultimate Doom, Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D range from 400,000 to 800,000 sales on Steam. Maybe half of that on GOG? I only know when it comes to older games I checked GOG first. Anyway... we may be looking at a max of 700k to 1.5 million copies sold total for each. So there is a market for such things just not mainstream enough so the big boys & girls can justify doing it. Although... thinking about it. They may find it is actually quite profitable because it seems like production costs would also be scaled way down. But that is kind of another topic.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  32. neginfinity

neginfinity

Such as? The only games I know that came close to original doom were Painkiller: Black Edition and Shadow Warrior remake.

In terms of atmosphere pretty much only Clive Barker Jericho was close to the feel of Doom I/Quake I games.

GarBenjamin likes this.