Search Unity

DOOM, are you excited?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ADNCG, Apr 16, 2016.

1. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Just did some reading on this. Seems like I'd mixed up bits of both. Doom was meant to be more complex, but more in terms of story and presentation than gameplay. Quake was initially concieved with RPG elements (and a "Ring of Regeneration!") but they were dropped.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Closely related to this is the ability to grind. Grinding takes a huge burden of balance off of the designer. A good Diablo 2 player could finish the game around level 28. A weaker player might have to get to level 35. Both players could finish the game, and found the difficulty curve satisfying, despite the massive difference in their innate skill levels.

If a player finds a challenge to difficult, the game will auto adjust the difficulty down if they simply repeat earlier challenges. From a designers point of view its an amazing tool.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

And eventually all these ideas were baked into the much maligned Daikatana.

aer0ace likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@BoredMormon That is a good comparison from what I have seen and remember. You are absolutely right that I don't play any of the modern FPS shooters. The last one I enjoyed was Borderlands. I don't even bother trying them out any more.

My joke about the popcorn was centered on the kind of thing shown in that video about modern military shooters. It was supposed to be a too-ridiculous-to-be-true kind of silly thing. ;)

In the end, I think both kinds of games are necessary. Well as far as more people being able to actually find a game they enjoy. I know some people (I mean family & friends) who really enjoyed the Halo games in multiplayer. I never got into Halo. Not sure why really but it just wasn't for me. I've said many times there really is no right or wrong to this stuff. I see it basically the same as some people love a certain movie and others hate that same movie. Some can't get enough of Sci Fi movies. For others Comedies is what they crave. Games are the same way.

The only reason I look for something different and joke about the way AAAs do things is because it seems to almost always be the same way game after game. BUT... I think there is a good chance an Indie team is out there right now working on a classic style FPS game. I think this is the reason Indies exist really. To fill in the voids the AAAs leave behind.

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. Velo222

Velo222

Really? Hahaha. That is funny.

To be fair though, they have to live up to some extremely high expectations if they want to call it DOOM, and I don't think it's even possible really.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Kiwasi likes this.
  6. aer0ace

aer0ace

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Martin_H likes this.
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I especially love the part where they try to convince readers that the thing they're writing a news article about isn't unusual or abnormal.

Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  9. Blacklight

Blacklight

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Should that be and? ;)

Blacklight and Martin_H like this.
  11. Rasly233

Rasly233

Well i take back all the bad things i said about Overwatch, this game is great, i was thinking that shoter genre was done, but this game proofs it is not.

Specially as someone who has been writing games and know much about it, it is very pleasing to see a game with such exceptionally good quality, it restored my respect for blizzard after it was questioned by diablo 3 and hots.

12. Martin_H

Martin_H

Do you think it would be enjoyable to people who dislike Team Fortress 2 and DOTA but like Counterstrike and military shooters that lean slightly towards realism?

13. Arowx

Arowx

Really this is still going when my thread on what was wrong with the COD trailer was closed as click bait!

Come on Moderators fairs fair, this is clickbait!

14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is real. At least should stay up through the weekend so we can see what people think about the single-player campaign. It might just be something amazing. I highly doubt it (other than watching cinematic sequences and such) but there is always the possibility.

Kiwasi likes this.
  15. Arowx

Arowx

It's a remake, be interested to know what people who have actually played the originals think of it.

But I've already paid for and completed DOOM 1,2 and 3 they want me to buy it again?!

Just wondering how UT Moderators work out what is clickbait and what is not???

16. Rasly233

Rasly233

Maybe, team based shoters are new genre and anyone should try that and decide for themself.

Also people comparing it to Team Fortrest while those games got almost nothing in common. TF is cartoon style shoter, and overwatch is fantasy style team based shoter and i think they are very different.

And the difference in quality is astronomical. I doubt any other company can afford such quality beside blizzard.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  17. Martin_H

Martin_H

Wasn't the title of your post something like "developers of BF are not impressed by...", which was factually incorrect? Wasn't it just 2 guys making a few tweets? That's like the definition of clickbait. You made an inaccurate claim to get people to click the thread.

This thread doesn't make a claim about other people, the OP states that he is excited about this game and asks if others are too. No clickbait going on here at all.

I didn't see a reason given for locking your thread (the clickbait mentioning last poster doesn't look like he's a mod), so I'm guessing it's because it went too far offtopic. There was some value to the discussion at the beginning, some good points about pros and cons of both trailers were made. For the future, a better title for such a thread would be "What can we learn from the latest COD and BF trailers?". That doesn't get people coming half angry into your thread already and might make for a more constructive discussion.

Hm, I think I'll hold of for now. So far I haven't heard anything that makes me want to try the game.

18. Arowx

Arowx

Really at least COD IW and BF1 are new!

19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@Arowx that is probably the biggest concern! DOOM 4 being "too new" as in too much like other modern FPS games. It will probably be that way but there is always a tiny chance it may be something at least a little different.

Martin_H likes this.
  20. Velo222

Velo222

I hope the new DOOM's single player experience turns out to be fun. I can forgive the multiplayer being mundane if the single-player is legit. We find out in 1 day, yay.

GarBenjamin, Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  21. Tanel

Tanel

Saw this, not sure if it's been posted,

Looks pretty fun to me.

ADNCG and Kiwasi like this.
  22. neginfinity

neginfinity

Movement speed is better than in that terrible original trailer, but they're still trying to bedazzle the player with visuals and cinematics instead of investing into gameplay. Enemy reaction is too slow, enemy count is too low. Doom I had few places where you didn't have enough ammo to kill everything.

I also don't like the visual style. Doesn't look much like Doom.

ShilohGames, GarBenjamin and Kiwasi like this.
  23. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Running around in circles until the room door unlocks. I prefer hiding behind a rock with my regenerating health. ;)

We'll see how it goes. There were still a ton of assists in the video. I'm not sure that will go down well. But it does look a little more Doom like then the multiplayer footage. There was a secret area.

neginfinity likes this.
  24. neginfinity

neginfinity

True. But the visuals... sigh.

It is funny, I wanted to grab quite a few games this year, and every time they were about to be released, something happened that killed my interest completely.

In the end I only grabbed darksouls 3 from the big releases.

25. Kona

Kona

I liked Doom 1, I liked Doom 2, I liked Doom 3 (... I have noticed that I probably was the only person on this entire planet to like the third game though... ) so, I'm not sure that I'ld say I'm excited about it but I look forward to play it atleast. :)

angrypenguin likes this.
  26. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That video makes it look like a sort of maybe different kind of game (compared to popular modern games) in some ways. I think @neginfinity nailed it. The only thing that really stands out is the presentation seems to overpower everything else. There does seem to be a real lack of any threat due to rare encounters and slow moving enemies. BUT... maybe this is just a starting point and things open up more afterward. It would take a bit to get used to the visuals... not that they are bad... everything looks really good to me... it's just a bit too much for my taste is all. But I think I could probably get to where I look past all of that incoming sensory information and filter it out to only the important things with some time.

27. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

It does seem to ramp up near the end when the guy dies, I wonder if theres going to be like hundreds of enemies on the screen at one time

28. Velo222

Velo222

Well after watching that single player demo, there's still something about the environment that screams "Halo" instead of "Doom". And it's hard for me to ignore or get over that fact. Maybe that's just one level, and other levels have a slightly different atmosphere -- but I'm not sure if that will actually be the case.

The exploding of enemies, weapons, sound effects, etc.... all look pretty good to me though. I think I'll be okay with those effects. It's just a different vibe that I'm getting from the sci-fi smooth shiny walls and walkways.....and it's not a DOOM vibe for some reason.

Anyways, as I said, we'll find out tonight/tomorrow. It's a win win either way, because if the game turns out to be super fun, that will be great. And if it turns out to not be good, we can all have a great time reading all of the negative reviews lol :)

GarBenjamin and neginfinity like this.
  29. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ha ha! That's a great way to look at it. A great game to play or a great game to tear apart.

30. Developah

Developah

Watch John Romero play the original...

He couldn't be bothered finishing Doom3. Because.. Doom 1 and 2 are the best. All of these new ones are just riding the coattails.

angrypenguin likes this.
  31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You know... I only just watched that Doom 4 video now, and I thought it looked fine. I can understand some people getting a bit of a Halo vibe from the visuals, but the gameplay certainly didn't seem like Halo or CoD or other modern shooters - it was much faster and relied far more heavily on movement. There was no "stand back while your health regenerates" or "take cover here, the enemies are coming from over there", the corridors generally lead between arena areas and in the arenas everything was constant motion with threats everywhere.

It's not that I think it looks like the early Doom games, but from that video alone I wouldn't call it a bad modernisation.

My thoughts too. Yes, that video doesn't look like some of the later parts of Doom that neginfinity posted before, but they were late game at high difficulty (right?). We've no idea what that Doom 4 video was. Certainly it showcased more intensity than the early levels of Doom.

One thing it didn't really showcase is non-linearity, and there was no puzzle solving in sight.

GarBenjamin, ADNCG and Kiwasi like this.
  32. Tanel

Tanel

Well, it's out. First reviews on steam are overwhelmingly positive. Of course some of them with only 0.5-1 hours on record. Writing a review at that stage is pretty stupid.

It might not completely satisfy a hardcore original Doom fan, but to me it seems like the closest thing you could get nowadays and loads of fun on its own merits (based on gameplay footage :p). I'll need to actually try it soon and see if I'm right though :p.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  33. tonabbz

tonabbz

wow, it seems back to the late of 1990s. I am curious how many new borns are fond of this game

34. Martin_H

Martin_H

People had a chance to try out the beta and those who hated it might not want to pick up the full game at launch price. maybe they'll buy it for 5 or 10 bucks on sale and re-write their negative review then? The page with the beta reviews has been deleted as far as I know.

35. neginfinity

neginfinity

That's the plan. I still haven't finished dark souls 3 and based on experience with beta the game doesn't promise anything amazing to me. So, no point in grabbing it right now.

Martin_H likes this.
  36. Tanel

Tanel

The beta only featured multiplayer. That was done by a different studio and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the single player experience. So, I don't know, seems weird to judge the SP experience based on a MP beta. I mean, most old school Doom guys want a proper Doom campaign anyway and don't care much for the mp at all, right?

Outsourcing parts of your game sometimes really seems to be a bad idea. The last Deus Ex game comes to mind as well. There they outsourced boss battles. Which was a terrible idea, they didn't fit with the rest of the game at all. In any other part of the game you could play however you wanted (go full stealth and finish any quest without doing any combat at all for example), but when dealing with the bosses you could only finish them in a scripted way basically.

Not exactly the same in this case, as at least it's different modes not interfering with each other.

angrypenguin, aer0ace and Martin_H like this.
  37. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Probably eager to give their first impressions. Also they may (like me) play the majority of the time outside of Steam and that time is never recorded. Others were busy playing through their Steam accounts:

5.2 hours on record: "First impressions.... this is F**KING AWESOME!!!!
    I had major concerns about how it would turned out... and my fears were put to rest for now... yet to go deep in yet, but so far it has delivered from all fronts except MP which I haven't touch besides the Beta which was OK only for me. Great job!"

3.2 hours on record: "It looks like Doom, sounds like Doom, feels like Doom, and smells like Doom. It's Doom!"

I won't get it for $60. But when it drops down to $20 or less I will grab it because it sounds like they actually succeeded in bringing back the best parts of the 90s FPS. Although I didn't hear anything about secrets yet (I also only read a few reviews). I'll most like grab it at end of the year and check it out over the cold winter months when I spend far more time inside on the computer.

angrypenguin and aer0ace like this.
  38. Martin_H

Martin_H

TB seems to love it:

GarBenjamin and Aiursrage2k like this.
  39. Tanel

Tanel

I'm completely sold after watching his video.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  40. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hmm...maybe when it hits $30. It does actually seem to be much more of a real game than I had ever expected from a AAA game released in 2016. That's a very significant thing to me. I agree completely with TB the lack of character development via story as well as the lack of all of those stupid cinematic narrative bits in general would indeed be highly refreshing

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  41. aer0ace

aer0ace

Yeah, that's the best. I remember playing in the winter in a cold and dark room, with headphones. While Doom is far from the scariest game, the atmospherics really kick up the experience several notches.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  42. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'll wait and see. TB also liked Thief 4, which I think is one of the worst reboots of all time... So our tastes are quite different at times.

Velo222, Tanel and GarBenjamin like this.
  43. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah look at this video hes fighting monsters 1 minute into the games start, no stupid 1 hour tutorial or ten minute cutscene, or a god damn crawling scene (MGS5).

GarBenjamin likes this.
  44. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It does look damn good. It'll be interesting to see what all of the modern FPS gamers think. Seems like at least some would be like "what? They can make games like this?! Why have they been making all of that other crap?!" ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Funny you should mention that, "Hideo K.".. I made two cups of tea by the time that damn thing ended "Hideo K.", the beggining "Hideo K." was just un-necessary "Hideo K." I like the game "Hideo K." but c'mon it takes the biscuit "Hideo K." that I'd dunk in my tea "Hideo K."...

If only I knew who made it? Wost thing is, you get bored of it and go check Unity forums out / wash up or something only to find it's game over..! LOL!.

46. darkhog

darkhog

May be a bit off-topic, but about a week before the release, I've picked up Doom modding (for the original two games). It's surprisingly easy and powerful, even compared to modkits (like one for Bethesda's games or for Dying Light) - I think everyone should try modding original doom (especially since Doom II, which is better for modding as it has more enemies and textures to work with, is just few bucks on GOG), because it's so much fun.

As for which editor and sourceport (only a madman mods vanilla Doom nowadays, really) I am using, I'm using ZDoom (not GZDoom, ZDoom) and Slade3 (which is pretty much "all in one" package for Doom, sorta like Unity for Doom). You'll also need to download ACS compiler from ZDoom's site if you want to use scripting (which is very powerful and easy though has few quirks).

GarBenjamin likes this.
  47. aer0ace

aer0ace

Thanks. I started modding Doom back in '95 or so, using DEU (anyone remember that?) Argh, linedefs, sidedefs, etc. It was pretty buggy back then, but it was really rewarding to create a map. I hope I have downtime in the future to try out these newer tools.

48. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Me too. TB knows FPS games quite well. The new Doom does not remind me of the original Doom, but new Doom's single player campaign does look like a lot of fun to play.

GarBenjamin and Tanel like this.
  49. aer0ace

aer0ace

And Rock, Paper, Shotgun's take.

I'm sold*.

* sold = Steam sale sold.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  50. darkhog

darkhog

Well, there's always weekends (which is when I'm doing doom modding, because during week, I'm busy with my own game.

GarBenjamin likes this.