Search Unity

DOOM, are you excited?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ADNCG, Apr 16, 2016.

1. ADNCG

ADNCG

Jeez, I can't remember the last time I've been so excited for a game. When I saw the demon runes, I just lost it.

I remember watching a vid about marketing with the girl saying that the goal of your trailers was to make people say "Oh god, this is the greatest thing ever". Well it definitely worked with me!

Yes, I basically opened a thread because I can't contain my excitement and it feels like I'm 16 years old again, but I can't be the only one.

What are your expectations?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

I expect either a disaster or something completely different from what I liked about Doom II. I think It won't be something I would enjoy.

See, I got to playing DOom II late, but I liked it a lot, and for me it was about those situation when you run into 4 spiderdemons at once, except that you have 10% hp, and 4 shells in your shotgun. And then you win. Somehow, and your profusely bleeding marine smilles with that crazy smile of his. Or the situation when you're rapidly moving through a corridor and you need to react to a new enemy twice per second. That keeps your brain very entertained.

And instead of that, they offer this:

For me, this looks incredibly disappointing. The enemies are bullet sponges. There are not enough of them. There's not enough motion. There are not enough enemies, there's not enough action, there's barely anything to react to, the shotgun is underpowered, and everything moves slowly. Instead of what was fun in original game, they're trying to make you feel powerful and show you gore/nice smoke in pointless cutscenes.

I think I won't like this game when it finally gets released. I also doubt that the person responsible for the game played the original one.

3. ADNCG

ADNCG

Yeah, it's a way different feel, I agree.

I think it was GarBenjamin who brought up a video of some guy bringing up the factors that made doom what it was, and clearly they aren't present in this game.

But I think if you are OK with the fact that this game will not revive your nostalgia and might actually bring something different, it could be solid. Many games are putting way too much emphasis on the looks I find, but the multiplayer seemed hyper fluid to me. I won't go too far in defending something that I haven't tried yet, but looks like a lot of heart went into this and this may not just be a big title sequel forced into production.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is less of a nostalgia and more of thorough entertainment I'm looking for.

You see, I like to think while playing. Original Doom does great job at making your brain thoroughly entertained, because you need to react, react, react, react to stuff that keeps happening around you. It is amazing, really. Alternative source for "brain entertainment" would be complicated branching story, mechanics that can be learned for a long time, etc.

Modern shooters, for some completely incomprehensible reason are usually trying to please your eyes instead. They want to be "cinematographic", "movie-like", etc, which is usually boring for me.

Which is probably why I stopped playing them at one point. Also, multiplayer was never really my thing, unless it is FFA and not "team-based". (I remember playing against "railgun god" in Q3 years ago. That was great)

There was a game that captured the essence of original doom quite well, though. It is Painkiller.

I also had positive experience with Shadow Warrior remake. The game had decent gameplay, but the great thing was surprisingly amazing story in it.

The Doom 4... it doesn't look like anything I would enjoy at this point. I'm contemplating buying Dark Souls 3 though. Haven't decided yet.

GarBenjamin and ADNCG like this.
  5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

At first I was looking forward to it but at this time I have no interest in it for the reasons @neginfinity gave.

I know a lot of folks seem to love the stuff but I think I actually nearly hate the way modern AAA games are.

A lot of folks seem like they cannot see any differences and label it nostalgia. I really don't understand that but certainly seems to be the way it is. There are real differences behind some people not being excited. When I watched these videos above I thought "it looks like they decided to make a sort of hybrid of Halo and the latest COD games".

Where once the movement was fast & smooth it looks like they went with the modern military style of "weighed down by heavy gear". I see enemies (or maybe they are other players) hopping around crazily. I'm kind of surprised I didn't see trail markers showing the player where to go and hints popping up continually providing other guidance. Wouldn't be surprised if they are in fact in there. Of course, the movie style presentation is superb. Fantastic graphics and audio. Voice overs. Basically the same thing we find in all modern AAA games. They did a great job on the presentation no doubt about it.

It will probably appeal to many of the military shooter gamers.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Wow the announcer sucks

frosted, darkhog and Martin_H like this.
  7. Rasly233

Rasly233

No. I watched that demo video and it was as boring as it gets.

8. Martin_H

Martin_H

It is in open beta this weekend. You all could be playing and be disappointed already.

9. Rasly233

Rasly233

I already decided to get disappointed by Overwatch open beta, I think that will be enough.

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  10. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

LOL! What a reason to play. You're right though. May have to try it out sometime. It could actually play much better than the video shows. That may just be "their" play style.

Dwarf Fortress is next on my list to try out. Was gonna check it out this weekend. Haven't had the desire to yet though. Actually just started doing a bit of game dev.

11. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

For a moment I've got confused and thought the creepy cheering in the Doom 4's trailer was some in-game sfx of deranged tournament spectators. Then I realized it's not Unreal Tournament, and they were only deranged E3 fans in the background lol.

MV10 and ADNCG like this.
  12. aer0ace

aer0ace

Yes. This is what a lot of the reviews on Steam are saying about the Multiplayer Open Beta. I have no interest in multiplayer, but I'm still looking forward to the singleplayer campaign, but as usual, I'm going to wait for the price to drop to less than $20, maybe even $10 or $5.

I remember getting Doom 1 and 2 on a set of 3.5"s from my friends, and I can't remember playing or modding more hours on any other game. Like many gamers, Doom "made" me.

Also, I bought Doom 3 on opening day, and didn't get a chance to play it until 3 years later. I could have waited for the price to drop within those 3 years. But with that said, I still enjoyed Doom 3. It got generally panned, but I think it was great. Not Half Life 2 great, but great enough to keep me entertained while stirring up some nostalgia. If Doom 4 is anything like a more visceral Doom 3, I'll be happy.

GarBenjamin and Martin_H like this.
  13. neginfinity

neginfinity

I don't know why I did it, but I recorded first 3 levels of original doom (until I made a mistake on 4th and got killed).

Here's the first level.

I think that would display the difference well enough.

Just gameplay. Not a speed run, not a 100% kill/secret/whatever.

I think I'll add the other two once they have finished uploading/processing.

angrypenguin and GarBenjamin like this.
  14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Oh wow. After I read this I decided to go check out Steam. 7,933 reviews Mostly Negative

"If this is doom then im the pope"
    "TLDR: I guess try it for yourself, but be warned, this is nothing like Doom"
    "HALO CLONE. No joke, not sugar coating it, it's trying to be as much like halo as it can"
    "A generic shooter riding on the DooM name"

I think the two that I liked the best are:
    "Thank you, Bethesda and fake id, for reminding me why I so loathe modern multiplayer shooters"
    "Never have I seen such a monumental misunderstanding of what a fanbase wants...not this Call Of Halo crap"

And here I was starting to consider that just maybe... possibly... I really was out of touch with gamers and everyone really does like this kind of thing. But I must say I really enjoyed reading these reviews. As I read them I was thinking "man that is exactly what I got from the videos on the Unity forum!" :)

15. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I'm glad you did. If anyone can't see any differences (I am talking about game play experience obviously) and still thinks it is down to nostalgia... well yeah I don't know really. lol

16. neginfinity

neginfinity

Well, at least now I know there's some hope.

With their latest Fallout 4 bethesda was going in a very weird direction (trying to turn RPG into call of duty). Perhaps this kind of feedback will make them change their mind or something.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  17. neginfinity

neginfinity

Sure. I'll add the other two later. I think that my screen recorder messed up colors, though. Then again, I had hard time convincing it to record anything from CrispyDoom engine in the first place.

P.S. Also, I start liking the idea of buying Dark Souls 3 more and more.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  18. neginfinity

neginfinity

Original Doom: E1M2 (second level):

19. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

All they had to do was hire some of the modders that still make doom levels to design the new levels and update the graphics, hire the brutal doom guy. Thats all they had to do. Imagine if they tried to make dota2 without icefrog

GarBenjamin and darkhog like this.
  20. Player7

Player7

They never really capture the level design and environment of doom .. the textures, color palette, the OUTSIDE areas skybox and atmosphere.. and level design that paced itself so you felt you could always be moving around.

Doom3 and this both just have this indoors environment/ man made industrial architecture, I mean whatever it was the same disappointment as Quake4 aswel.

Also all the event animations for things just seem silly/excessive, like might seem ok a few times.. the novelty quickly wears off because its the same animation, so unless you're going to make variations of door opening etc. Going super realistic always leaves a lot to be desired.

Honestly they'd get more interest from me if they just did something different instead.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  21. Player7

Player7

How'd they go from mechanical lifts.. to F***ing jump pads. Just dumb.

heh the classic doom hand/shotgun graphics still look more realistic :D

22. Martin_H

Martin_H

You and everyone who likes the old Doom should check out Brutal Doom:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom

edit: @Aiursrage2k was faster.

The sad thing about these reviews is that they are spot on. I never played Halo, but it really feels like a Call of Duty knock off to me, but not on the same level of polish and gameplay. It's a lot worse than COD imho. A friend said it's very close to Halo so I'll trust that's correct.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  23. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Honestly, I think it is probably a great thing AAA are so focused on these cinema style games and just "wowing" by cramming in so much crap.... because this is what creates an opening for Indies.

If someone had been smart way back when Doom 4 was first announced in development that Indie could have easily realized this is what the modern Doom would be and they could have made a true Doom like game.

Imagine right now all of these people so disappointed and then one posts something like "forget this &*^!! Buy Indie Zoom instead!". It would likely have caused a stampede to the buy button on that Indie game's page. A perfect opportunity for high profits and making a lot of gamers very happy. Basically the Indie takes advantage of a AAA marketing budget. :)

Ony, frosted, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  24. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'm pretty sure no one would care without the official Doom franchise being connected to it.

Strafe might be interesting to check out next year:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/442780/

At least they have pretty much the best marketing video ever. Take a look.

frosted likes this.
  25. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

The latest Doom does not remind me of all of the things I loved about playing the original Doom. It still might be a fun game, but I am guessing it will feel like a completely different experience than the original Doom.

26. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Even if they wouldn't normally care for the Indie game because they were looking forward to "the real thing" I think this is one of those rare opportunities where they would care. Disappointed and frustrated as hell that some folks screwed up one of their all time favorite games... I think they won't care where they "get their fix" from they just want to get it. Most of those folks have probably already bought Brutal Doom (if it is out). For some reason this genre doesn't seem to be as flooded with games as most of them. At least the last time I looked I found very few and most were in fact re-releases of the original 90s AAA games.

27. neginfinity

neginfinity

I would care.

I enjoyed painkiller which provided experience somewhat similar to original Doom. And it haven't seen even one proper shooter in years.

So yeah, if I heard about some sort of proper old-school shooter, I would at least check it out.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  28. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe, maybe not. I think Brutal Doom is a free mod and I wonder why the guy hasn't turned it into a standalone game with new assets if there was such a niche. Let's say I'll believe it when I see it happening.

I'm not into those, but a friend of mine who loves Painkiller likes: Shadow Warrior (the reboot), Hard Reset, Brutal Doom and Devil Daggers (retro aesthetic but gameplay is very different).
    Maybe also check out Rise of the Triad? The new Wolfenstein game is also supposed to be pretty good.

I kind of liked Singularity and Crysis 2, the Syndicate shooter also was ok. But those might not be your cup of tea if you are into really oldschool shooter gameplay.

p.s.: Serious Sam?

29. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unfortunately, Rise of the Triad is one of the 3 games in existence that give me motion sickness (or something like that). I didn't like Wolfenstein: New Order (due to storyline, mostly), although I heard good things "Old Blood". Crysis 1 was fairly solid... Crysis 2 was okay, but not that interesting. neither of those is anywhere close to Doom or Painkiller, though. Please note that those games are not exactly recent. Which sorta supports GenBenjamin's idea that there might be doom-shaped empty niche in the market right now.

GarBenjamin and Martin_H like this.
  30. darkhog

darkhog

After the mess with Doom 3 that made me go Zzz* quite often, I'll hold my excitement for when it actually comes out, with singleplayer stuff.

*stupid forum software cutting out emojis grrrrr.....

31. darkhog

darkhog

You think the English one sucks? Well, better be glad you didn't hear Polish one.

32. darkhog

darkhog

There's already an indie game that is way better doom than Doom 4 is. It's called Wrack. Also the dev of Wrack either started out as Doom mapper or Quake mapper (don't remember which one, but either of those).

//edit: Here's a video of me playing Wrack (very badly):

Ony and GarBenjamin like this.
  33. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@darkhog that is amazing because I just came here from Steam to say I just found a cool looking game called Wrack!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253610/

You know how you can tell this is likely a good game? Because the trailer doesn't start with some cinema intro baloney. It just starts out with action gameplay. Which tells me they know what is important. I figure folks are going to show what they are most proud of and / or consider to be the best part of their game in the first 5 seconds. Of course, can't always go by this but more often than not whenever I see an intro movie right at the start I think "oh man the game (play) itself probably sucks".

Oh I should say (think I have before) I actually play way more Blake Stone, Duke Nukem and even Blood than Doom. Not sure why really but I do enjoy those. :)

Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  34. neginfinity

neginfinity

E1M3 video. That's all of them for now (cause at level 4 I made a mistake and got killed)

--------

Wasn't Wrack a PS3/4 game about some monster made out of shapes?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  35. Martin_H

Martin_H

Only if they are smart and keep in mind that many people switch off if they aren't hooked after 5 seconds ^^.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  36. Tanel

Tanel

Lol, that was Knack I think.

I'm kinda digging the single player footage of the new Doom. Yeah, those animated melee kills seem like they'll get old fast but they also seem optional.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  37. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm a much greater fan of the post halo shooter then the Doom style. Played tonnes of all of them as a kid. Doom, Wolfienstein, Blakestone, ROTT, 007, Perfect Dark, Halo. Then I got married and had kids and haven't kept up. ;)

Despite me preferring the newer experience, I totally agree with the sentiment here. The things worth preserving from the original Doom were not the story or aesthetics (a portal to hell opens in a Mars colony? What sort of nut job came up with that story?). It's the gameplay that should of survived. Levels where it actually mattered if you got shot. Wild hunts to find hidden keys. Cheat codes. Fast paced action with huge numbers of enemy.

If you had have told me that the trailer was from a new Halo game I would have believed you. Nothing about the video says doom. Even the character models are straight out of Halo.

Martin_H and GarBenjamin like this.
  38. darkhog

darkhog

Nope, you're thinking of Knack.

39. Martin_H

Martin_H

You should read the novel :D

http://www.amazon.com/Knee-Deep-Dea...in the dead&qid=1460851844&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

It has pretty good reviews too. It's pretty trashy, but I have to admit I found it entertaining. The others in the series aren't that great though. I've stopped in the 3rd or 4th I think.

Kiwasi likes this.
  40. Blacklight

Blacklight

I'm gonna sit here until release praying that the new DOOM will be a triple A version of Brutal Doom, then get disappointed when it isn't.

41. Rasly233

Rasly233

@GarBenjamin Call of Halo xD
    Well people on forums have more demands then average players (probably). Bethesda aims for general public and i doubt they will change their mind, for big companies it is all about money after all.

ps: I think that if it wasn't called Doom, we would not even be discussing it. It already says something if a company has to buy such famous name to sell their product. I wish it would be illigal to use somebodys else respected name to sell your junk, it is like with that Gandhi imposer. Respect has to be earned, not bought or inherited.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    frosted likes this.
  42. neginfinity

neginfinity

True, but it IS called Doom.

Hmm... I'm not sure about that. You see, for example Falloud New Vegas captured spirit of the original Fallout quite well. So I would want spiritual successors of old product. Proper spiritual successors, that is.

McMayhem likes this.
  43. neginfinity

neginfinity

Checked out Multiplayer Beta. At first attempt to run it I had 1..5 fps in main menu. Well, driver update and setting resolution to 1280x720 sorta dealt with it and fps rose to 30..40. That's on machine which had no problem running Witcher 3. Played it for 40 minutes or so, wrote a negative review and uninstalled. It also had 1 fps at epilepsy warning screen with static text.

Game doesn't look like Doom, doesn't feel like Doom, doesn't play like Doom.

You have two weapons, loadouts, multiplayer xp, levels, and multiplayer unlockables. Customizeable armor, too. Armor does not look like it belongs to Doom universe. It is something Halo/Crysis like with Unreal Tournament overtones. Movement is on slow side, basically running speed (there's no "run key"), is slower than walking in Doom I game. There's mouse acceleration that can't be disabled (this got me killed few dozen times). Weapons are ridiculously weak. Double Barreled shotgun (that was pretty much on par with BFG and meant death of anything within 90degree anglle in front of you) can't kill people at point blank range and fade out into pretty to single digit damage (there's floating numeric damage indicators in the game) at 10..20 meters. This is a bad joke.

Aside from logo, there's nothing in the game resembling original Doom visually. It looks like a result of unholy union of Doom 3 (because everything is metal now) and Unreal Tournamnet (because everything glows), except it is ugly and sucks. Maps are very bland (both visually and gameplay wise).

Frankly, it looks like a cheap cash grab that was made in a big rush over 6 months time.

The only positive thing about it was that soundtrack in main menu was okay for 15 seconds or so.

A big disappointment, pretty much. Even if single player is somehow better than this, Bethesda (or whoever owns doom now), has seriously messed up with this kind of bad publicity they got.

Kiwasi and Martin_H like this.
  44. Rasly233

Rasly233

I think it depends on a person, to me fallout was always a survival adventure, with a chess feeling to it, in my opinion bethesda fallouts are nothing like original ones, but still pretty good games by todays standarts.

45. neginfinity

neginfinity

I don't know, for me it was often about trying sneak out of a house and then accidentally murdering everybody in the building.
    Then there's that glorious New Reno shootout when mordinos try betray and kill you.
    Or that moment where my character entered martial arts tournament and punched through the opponent.
    Or stealing fuel from Hubologist.
    Or the great Manamigo mystery.
    Or the awesome "Military base" map.

Bethesda Fallouts did not resemble original ones, that's true.
    However, Fallout New Vegas was made by Obsidian. It strongly resembles feeling I had while playing Fallout 2. Just with a bit more of "wild west" in it.

46. Velo222

Velo222

I'm not a big fan of first person shooters in general (I've only really liked one or two). I know, I'm probably in the group of about 3% of all gamers that don't like first person shooters lol.

So with that being said, I've seen the new Doom being played and my overall general sense is that it has about 3 or 4 "cool" features, and then everything else about the game is pretty average at best. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky in my assessment of games nowadays, but that's what it seemed like to me.

Being able to mod, build, and even set up some rules for custom maps is a good feature, that could allow for some creative maps for the community. Monsters being ripped apart in a somewhat life-like manner is a good graphical technique. And the players' shiny suits look fairly decent. But the graphical stuff will "wow" you for only a short period of time before I think people will simply get bored with it.

Overall it looks like an average game to me, with an above average legacy, and only a handful of semi-new features. If the single player turns out to be fun -- that would be great. I've never been an optimistic person though. It's only redeeming quality might be the map building aspect it offers.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  47. Martin_H

Martin_H

Most of the people who complain about it wouldn't even have tried it out I think.

I almost missed the Rainbow Six Siege free weekend. Grab it while you still can, this one is actually a lot of fun imho.

48. Velo222

Velo222

lol. The open beta steam reviews are so funny. Thanks for pointing me to this.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  49. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Here are a few things to remember about this Doom situation:
    This is not anything like the original Doom.
    The original Doom was made by John Carmack and John Romero.
    This Doom is made by Bethesda Software.
    id Software is owned by Bethesda.
    Carmack and Romero are not involved with id Software anymore or this version of Doom.
    This Doom is a completely different game by completely different people.

50. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You're welcome. It was actually @aer0ace who first mentioned the open beta on Steam. I just went to check it out and see what people thought after actually trying it.

Up to 10,524 Reviews Mostly Negative now.

You can basically refresh it every minute or so and see the counter jump I think. lol Definitely seems to be getting a lot of attention which shows just how many folks out there were wanting a "real" Doom game.

This morning's picks:

"It should be called Call of DOOMty. Fun but gets boring eventually"

A Recommended Rating with "Saved me from spending $60"

"Speed - Doom is not supposed to be real world. It never has been in any iteration in existence. Avatars are supposed to run absurdly fast. How many people used to laugh killing themselves by running WITH the rocket they just shot down a hallway and into a wall"

"serve me up generic shooter #149 please"

"Not a big fan of Master Chief's new look"

Okay, time to actually get something done.

I'll just say... hopefully they didn't spend too much money making this generic modern FPS. And that is the part I don't get. Why make basically the same game(s) over and over and over? In this day, COD, Halo, etc are the same game over and over. People (well some anyway) want something different. Doom as it was from the 90s is something very different. It shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    aer0ace likes this.