Search Unity

Don´t like the new AssetStore!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arealight, Sep 17, 2017.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Seeing a vast improvement in the time it takes to load my purchased assets list in the editor. Yay! :)

2. JBR-games

JBR-games

Is this only if going to new asset store ?

3. hopeful

hopeful

I start off using the old asset store, but it's the Download Manager within the Unity editor. It's taking a count of about 33-35 for it to display, versus me pushing the button and leaving to get something to drink or whatever while I wait for it to complete. (I think I used to wait like 1.5-2 minutes, maybe?)

4. chingwa

chingwa

I can't even login to asset store in the editor to look at my downloads. Keeps asking me to login repeatedly. Whatever, didn't feel like buying anything anyway.

Ony and Antypodish like this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Most of the time I had same issue.
    But tried today. Initially popped login screen, which I ignored. Then clicked again and I was logged it automatically (as should). Asset via editor speed is a bit better, but still not too impressed.

6. schmosef

schmosef

I just did a test.

In Editor, loading the "download manager" (old store) took about 65 seconds and, also in Editor, loading the "My Assets" section (new asset store) took 4 seconds.

JBR-games likes this.
  7. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

I Hate the new asset store
    I have 237 purchased assets, and no way of sorting them.
    I don't even care about loading time, I'm using the old store until they re add the old sorting method as an option.

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Well, we know is not the best design in the world. Has many flow of half baked product.

I wanted to second this. However, this made me to think, in web design category.
    What I mean by this, is you have small Asset window as I normally do, since no need for full screen thingy, then it happens that number of features are hidden. One of bad designs, targeting for mobile devices.

upload_2018-8-31_12-28-0.png

But let just stretch the editor, or browser window. And at sudden, filters show up.
    Yep it is quite awkward, if you not aware of things. This only came to my mind, after your post, since I avoid using asset store via editor, when I can.

upload_2018-8-31_12-26-6.png

Attached Files:

Stardog, schmosef and JBR-games like this.
  9. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Thanks, I did not even know that existed...

Not sure if happy or sad right now..

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yep, I bet you are not the only one.

You can be only sad, if you missed out this feature for long time. Or you like small windows ;)
    Happy let be, since now you know, hot to overcome the issue.

JBR-games likes this.
  11. hopeful

hopeful

Oh wow ... I'm glad you mentioned that! Yes ... using this approach gets my asset list on the screen about instantly!

Going to have to go with using the new asset store in the editor! But the old asset store wins when actually shopping. :)

schmosef and JBR-games like this.
  12. schmosef

schmosef

Absolutely true.

I've never been able to successfully check out via the new asset store.

It might work now but I gave up trying during the last "madness" sale.

JBR-games likes this.
  13. Murgilod

Murgilod

Same problem here. No luck purchasing on the new store, but the old one always has my back.

JBR-games and schmosef like this.
  14. rasto61

rasto61

Just got the new interface in the editor and its absolutely horrible. Just like the new asset store web site. So much whitespace. In the editor I can see 3 lines of assets, 3.5 if I try, in the size of the window I usually used. Where did the sort go?
    Well...
    I shouldn't have to search how to sort the assets to be able to do that.
    Im not a UX person, but isn't that new users prefer simple interfaces, while power users prefer ease and speed of use?
    Why does it take more clicks to perform common tasks on the web site, and I can see about half as much information as before...
    Whoever is in charge of asset store UX at unity deserves to be fired.

edit: Just noticed that luckily there's an option to also revert the editor interface... So at least there's that.

JBR-games and mgear like this.
  15. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is unfortunately the trend all over the place. Every app try be the same. Look at skype for example. New UI is horrible and none ergonomic. And it is not only my opinion. So with modern trend we going backwards.
    Screens sizes increase, UI white spaces increases, distance eye to screen stays the same. With bigger screens I expect to see and fit more, not less ...

Billy4184, JBR-games and Fera_KM like this.
  16. Martin_H

Martin_H

All these modern designs can die in fire!!!

17. imgumby

imgumby

Lol.....:p

JBR-games likes this.
  18. JBR-games

JBR-games

I was excited to have my assets load up quicker which they do at first...(Smoke and Mirrors) but then i realized that it only loads a select few and once you try to sort or do much of anything it lags out horribly bad.. I own 780 assets.... and sorting is not good compared to older version...Im better off to wait for the initial loading of the old store than not even be able to scroll down without several second lag at every movement. And its not on my end as my computer and Internet are above most average users specs..

imgumby and hopeful like this.
  19. Billy4184

Billy4184

Funny you should say that, Skype looks like a combination of the new asset store and Lithium now. What's the world coming to?

Must be some kind of attempt to create a one-size-fits-all for anything from mobile to PC, which is a great way to fail at everything all at once.

JBR-games and Martin_H like this.
  20. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is partial result of taking modern look, along with changing skype, to be cloud based.
    upload_2018-9-6_3-18-21.png
    However, seams they did something right on past 2 months. Or is just summer.
    This dropping constant trend is at least since last June 2017.

People definitely don't like new "modern" look. They used it, for what it was. + few other quirks.
    Myself, I stopped using skype. And moved relatives with shift.

Yep, attempt of unification and copy cat of others. Only that this dosen't work for all.

Assets thumbnails and basics descriptions should be cashed in Unity on local PC.
    It would be then lighting fast. + Release strain from servers.
    And only when needed to check for details, should be requested to update from server.

hopeful and JBR-games like this.
  21. Kondor0

Kondor0

My downloads list keeps refreshing when I'm browsing it, I freaking hate it!

JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  22. hopeful

hopeful

Why does it refresh at all? Can't we be responsible for refreshing it?

And if it's an issue of an asset being updated after we have downloaded the list - which ought to be a rare condition - isn't it more efficient if it checks for this condition only on the selected asset before importing or downloading?

JBR-games likes this.
  23. imgumby

imgumby

Same here..I find it untenable that the drop down lists only contain a few assets until you click the "more" button at the bottom of the page but even then that just adds "more" and doesn't expose the whole list.If it's a cache issue maybe they could at least show the whole list when you collapse the menu and when I open up "R" for instance all those will show.. . . ....

JBR-games likes this.
  24. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I still don't understand why it is so insanely slow. Cache people... please! It should be instant to search, sort, etc.

Martin_H and JBR-games like this.
  25. VIC20

VIC20