Search Unity

Don´t like the new AssetStore!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arealight, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Navigation through the screenshots of an asset is a pain. There are no left/right buttons next to the pictures. There's only the scroll down button in the left thumbnail bar. Having to hit that every time first before you can access the next screenshot is a huge waste of time.

The new store has been around for a while now and I still prefer the old one. The new one has too many flaws which make browsing cumbersome.

Ony, schmosef, cxode and 2 others like this.
  2. steveR

steveR

Same here, was ready to buy on the 12th. Wanted to make sure that one of the expensive assets was not on the 70% off sale, so waited. Oh well, had a large list too. Will only buy now on a must have basis, instead of with on sales where it was nice to have in my inventory.

3. NuhhuStudios

NuhhuStudios

Is it just me, or is there no filter option?

4. JDrem1

JDrem1

Just gotta put my two pennies worth in here.

I love the old Store layout, but I utterly hate <-- (with much hating :mad:) -the new layout.

Even just window shopping on the old one was so cool, and user friendly.
    I really hope they dont make it mandatory.

But it is easily fixed, in just two steps.
    Step one... Frog-march the "genius" who designed the new one to the nearest exit. :eek:
    Step two... 'Oops' I slipped & accidentally fell on the "Delete button" to the offending "new and improved" version. :oops:
    Problem solved. :D

atomicjoe and jfinlon like this.
  5. chingwa

chingwa

The Asset Store will not be going back to the old ways, as they are building back-end systems and infrastructure based on the new store now and going forward. You can fully expect the old store to be taken offline at some point, noone will know when until it happens. For those who hate the new store it would be best to make your displeasure known to Unity as publicly and ubiquitously as possible. I seriously doubt anyone at Unity is taking this thread seriously, if they are even reading it at all.

There's been a minor revolt in the AssetDevelopers forum, and despite vehement criticism nothing has changed much, breaking bugs and poor design remains. Unfortunately asset devs by themselves do not hold enough sway to convince Unity management to invest more resources into the assetstore team... but perhaps customers can and will make more of a difference?

Ony and JDrem1 like this.
  6. JDrem1

JDrem1

Great post. And words of wisdom, no doubt.

TBH, My "two pennies worth." was meant more as a satire, and a "GRR fest" rather than anything real.
    I for just one, didn't think for a second that Unity would be swayed by any amount of threads.

Streamlining, to incorporate other considerations into the whole structure of the "Unity sales / vendor / growth process," was inevitable.
    "Progress".. and all that.

The only thing that is really baffling, is that with all the incredible developers / artists and designers that Unity employs, and has access to...
    Why create a "new look" that is so clinical / user unfriendly / and lets be honest, just plain boring.

A really well done web page, drags the user in, and begs to be explored. (like the old layout did.)
    This new one makes even the most incredible / exciting assets, look so bland.
    And the only thing it begs, is for the user to "take me back to the old store... please."

And by the sound of your words chingwa, its a pretty universally agreed upon reaction from the community.

Shrug.. And this from the Incredible "Unity brand"....go figure.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  7. verybinary

verybinary

The asset store is allegedly getting better.
    I followed two links today, and it showed me the links that I was intending to get to, not stuck on the previously bought assets page. That was my huge complaint.
    So... Thanks for the constant progress Unity devs

dogzerx2 likes this.
  8. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

In the new Asset Store is still missing some old button that take you to search result.

Where is my: "NEW", Latest, "RSS" SORT BY RELEVANCE / POPULARITY / NAME / PRICE / RATING / UPDATED
    buttons?

Old and New side by side
    upload_2018-5-29_16-20-13.png

Lars-Steenhoff and Ony like this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

Dismaying that the new Unity no longer cares about customers or community. Sounds to me like a corporate mindset has taken over upper management.

Welcome to the new Adobe (or whatever)? We'll see.

JDrem1 likes this.
  10. Well, I won't defend Unity on the AS because I think they seriously screwed this one up, but your statement is a little bit of an exaggeration.

Unity customers and community != couple of dozen people on the forums.

11. hopeful

hopeful

Sure, that's valid. But companies do change, especially as the influence of the founders wanes.

It's a matter of "when." Maybe it's not now.

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

I get the impression that they're very aware that people don't like it. At this point it's just non-trivial for them to repair it. We'll probably see improvements, but not on a quick timescale which means we're stuck with an inferior product and terrible experience until one day they get around to improving it properly.

dogzerx2, JDrem1 and Ony like this.
  13. Player7

Player7

Here is another thing that pisses me off with the store...

In the unity editor you can browse assests in only 1 tab, so ok the new redesign does let you do a 'Quick View' on an asset to read the description and see some pics.. but wtf can't you expand the description text in that same modal window.. instead clicking to read more of the description takes you to the main page... I HATE SINGLE WINDOW BROWSING..

It is 2018 and you are forcing us into browsing the store in a single tab, with nothing but janky ass back/forward buttons for navigation. Zero way of copy the asset page url's for any sort of sane way of going and using actual web browser.. I HATE IT

Just let us download our damn assets in the web browser, or bloody do something about the Unity editor UX for everything, not just asset store single tab.

Has been a ton of suggestions for these things before, and nothing.

Whatever they are doing, some of the suggestions here that would go some way easing the problems aren't even attempted. Nothing worse than a company that only has to make trivial code improvements and yet cannot find a single person with code access to sort basic S*** out. It's a joke... I don't find funny.

Martin_H likes this.
  14. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Adobe is not free...
    I feel like Unity Team cares a lot about customers and is actually a good corporate mindset example. It is what makes Unity unique, useful and competitive. Look for example the Blender user interface mindset. It took decades changing just the UI in the new 2.8. And Do you remember the new Unity forum? Unity is running very fast. Unity or a person how experiments a lot and tries to improve can also make more mistakes.

About Asset Store, Is nice that we can compare past and present. So is possible to ask for what is missing in the new concept. We must be focused on defining what we need. @Player7 Unity is listening

I think the problem here is that is missing some parts (buttons) of the old that were cool gadgets. It can add the old sidebar with the new style.

New vs Feedback1 side by side
    Unity-Asset-Store-compact.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    dogzerx2 likes this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not trying to rabble rouse. I just worry. :)

16. chelnok

chelnok

I'd say, take your time Unity, as long the old store is available.

hopeful and AlanMattano like this.
  17. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Agree.
    At the moment I'm not a publisher. I'm a consumer comparing and giving feedback.

Unity-Asset-Store-2.jpg

Rowlan and Martin_H like this.
  18. jfinlon

jfinlon

I could live with the silly new design if I could just get the filter tags back on "my assets". I have purchased well over 10K in assets, many I have never used yet. I bought them thinking that "some day" I will need them, and I often forget what I have purchased along the way. I have religiously tagged every asset into categories so that I can easily filter for "#Character" "#Scene" "#SciFi" etc.. and find what I need without having to remember the exact name of a package I bought along with 20 others, months ago, when they were on sale. I would forget about, and lose in the crowd many of these assets without the tags to reveal them when I am looking through my inventory. If you aren't going to copy our filter tags over to the new store, and reproduce that functionality please don't force us to migrate to this new monstrosity, as it will become a serious pain, and will reduce the value/utility of Unity itself.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  19. imgumby

imgumby

Yep..not fond of the new design but if they insist on forcing it on us by redirects then at least provide us with the tools we had before.The sorting feature is missed most of all by me for exactly the reasons noted above and am a bit tired of having to go to the new store after clicking on an outside link to the old store...copying the name of the asset I want..clicking on "shop on old store" pasting the name of the product in the search window and hope it doesn't redirect me again...
    thanks

atomicjoe, JBR-games and chelnok like this.
  20. Teila

Teila

I can barely use the asset store anymore. :( The new store lags badly for me. The old store is not so bad but these days I have to go to the new store, get timed out several times before I can even get back into the old store. Good thing is my spending has gone way down since I can no longer do my daily checks without much frustration. My internet connection is fine so that is not the problem.

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It has potential after all the feedback is taken in and the whole experience is adjusted accordingly, right now it still a stepback compared to the old.

22. chelnok

chelnok

This. So annoying. I just hate the new store, pretty much everything about it. If they (unity web devs) really can't do any better, let the community help. Let us help with design, let us help with ui, ux, etc. I just want to browse and buy those assets.

atomicjoe and JBR-games like this.
  23. JBR-games

JBR-games

I dont really visit the new store very often.. Has anyone noticed if its even been updated or changed in anyway recently ?

24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not related to the new store layout, but my number one irk lately has been clicking links in the store while browsing in Editor. Am I missing something, or is there no back button? As soon as I accidentally click to an external site I find I need to close the window and start again.

Ony and JBR-games like this.
  25. ikazrima

ikazrima

Used to stay on the old store if I didn't sign out. Now it redirects me to the new store even when I'm signed in. Sigh.

IvyKun likes this.
  26. Stardog

Stardog

Haven't noticed a single change.

JBR-games likes this.
  27. JBR-games

JBR-games

Fortunately it doesnt do that to me yet!

28. IvyKun

IvyKun

The same is happening to me... hate it.

Socrates and JamesArndt like this.
  29. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I noticed this the other day. For a while it's remembered my "Use Old Store" setting and I've gotten used to using the old Asset Store. However something changed recently and it's sending me to the new Asset Store, which is pretty much unbearable for me to use. There is something horribly off in the layout and/or the UI.

Ony and JBR-games like this.
  30. Murgilod

Murgilod

I hate how there's still only a maybe 50% chance that clicking on an asset store link will send me to the actual page rather than just dumping me on the asset store frontpage.

31. imgumby

imgumby

Well since I posted yesterday it appears that there's now a "sort" button on the favorites aka wish list page now that I didn't see before...still not a fan of the lay out or general look but I'm an aged dog that believes the old adage "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it" apparently lost on the web gurus of today...lol...;)

JBR-games likes this.
  32. halley

halley

I found that on all my systems, if I run Chrome (like, who doesn't use Chrome?) then almost all of the Unity websites are garbage-scow slow. The only website I launch another browser for, is the Unity Asset Store. If I launch another browser, everything is fine (speed wise). Something dumb in the Unity web machinations is a huge time-wasting service-blocking bolus of snot, and they need to find and fix it.

33. Player7

Player7

"like, who doesn't use Chrome?"

people who can't stand it's S***ty interface... use Vivaldi instead.. it uses chromium backend engine with a frontend that isn't complete basic barebones garbage... I ended up moving away from Firefox pre quantum crap over to it and haven't looked back.. well I mean nothing is better than Firefox with 70+ addons .. but hey that was before complete morons at Mozilla ruined it all, so those days are over.

Regularry likes this.
  34. LaneFox

LaneFox

40% of web users.

atomicjoe and chingwa like this.
  35. Teila

Teila

Does the same to me. Also, once I am on the new store, if I click on the old store, only half the time to I actually get the old store. The other half I get a blank page and a notice asking me if I should wait. Maybe it is fate telling me that I have spent too much money on assets.

On a good note, I no longer get timed out when going to the forums. :)

Ony and hopeful like this.
  36. imgumby

imgumby

I see the editor now has just the option to go to the new store...we're all doomed.. :(..lol..;)

JDrem1 likes this.
  37. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah it's slow incrementalism. Before long the old store will be completely unworkable and will be taken down. :(

38. Teila

Teila

Reminds me of my iphone...or Windows.

39. chingwa

chingwa

Reminds me of my hairline.

atomicjoe, IvyKun, Ony and 3 others like this.
  40. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

There used to be Unity competitor "Virtools" who lost the battle immediately 100-0 as soon as they dropped caring about their community of developers and customers that brought added value to their product where they did not have capacity to fill the niche needs.

If Unity does not take efforts to fix asset store issues there will be a line of other solutions happy to eat the cake?

JBR-games likes this.
  41. Ony

Ony

I feel like they just simply don't care what we think about it. Fine. As long as I can access the old store I will continue to do so. Once they remove that option, I'll only go to the new store to buy something I already know I need. No more browsing and buying after that point.

atomicjoe, IvyKun, Teila and 2 others like this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

It looks to me like work on the new store halted. I'm not sure how to interpret that, but yeah, I use the old store all the time and hate it when forum posts link me to the new store.

JBR-games and Ony like this.
  43. Antypodish

Antypodish

To be hones, I forgot there are two different versions.

I assume I am on new one by defualt

upload_2018-8-28_23-34-7.png

Initially I didnt like it, since was sluggy. Now is much faster. But still, feels like tons of space is wasted. I am a bit annoyed with recent GUI design trends in general. Not that I am working 10 meters away from the screen, So i need huge icons.

Old looks more compact and informative for me.
    But what I like in new is filters and search

upload_2018-8-28_23-39-16.png

upload_2018-8-28_23-39-27.png

But I would say, is far from ideal. Tags are good tho.

44. imgumby

imgumby

Trying hard to embrace the new look but just too sterile and wordpress template like..also miss the links on the top bar for community and learning etc...plus the live "latest" column is missing .There's the "new" button but that's not current and just shows new products they're pushing at the moment.....

JBR-games likes this.
  45. JBR-games

JBR-games

Yeah i always check out the "LATEST" always interesting to see what new stuff people come up with.. and alot of asset store publishers have already complained about unitys forced "matching" to divert people to popular assets instead of what they are looking for on the new store..

Teila likes this.
  46. imgumby

imgumby

I've probably made a few impulse buys from that live "latest" window...maybe it's a good thing it's gone ?? ;)

47. Teila

Teila

I always switched my browsing to Update so that I could see the new and the most updated items. It was so easy. Popular is fine, but then you miss those little gems that you need for your specific project. Popular usually reflects the usual games everyone makes. It misses the less popular genres.

Ony, IvyKun, schmosef and 4 others like this.
  48. Amon

Amon

Whatever the Unity Asset Store Dev Team has done, the asset store today is fast and most importantly for me, the list of my purchases or things I have added to my account, now loads faster than Usain Bolt runs.

Thank you for sorting that. I'm hoping it stays like this.

hopeful, dogzerx2, schmosef and 2 others like this.
  49. JBR-games

JBR-games

Today my old link to the old store got redirected to new store .. Err... So i
    In general i could live with the new store although i still dont like its setup.. But on mobile i have to have zooming ability thats a nogo for me.. Also "latest assets " as thats how i typically find stuff i get. And usually on my phone while on break at work... To see what's new..

50. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for letting us know about this. I own quite a few assets and the time to load the "My Assets" section has gone from minutes to seconds.

Credit where credit is due: Great work Unity Team!

Teila, JBR-games and hopeful like this.