Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Don´t like the new AssetStore!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arealight, Sep 17, 2017.

1. schmosef

schmosef

Have they actually fixed the checkout process with the new store yet?

The last few times I tried to buy assets via the new store it did not work. Other people reported the same issue, so I know it wasn't just me.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

The last asset I tried to buy on the new store was closer to the beginning of the month but checkout was impossible then. I haven't honestly tried since then because the new store experience was so poor that I just didn't want to waste my time with it.

schmosef likes this.
  3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

how about don’t show assets on the
    featured page that you already own that would be good

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    schmosef likes this.
  4. hopeful

hopeful

If they're making a new store, one thing I would really like to have is the ability to stash downloaded assets some place other than my C drive.

Amon, grahag11 and chingwa like this.
  5. tsibiski

tsibiski

I disagree. They are clearly quite good at UX from a raw, technical aspect. I looked at the css and html out of curiosity. It is high quality code, and shows a modern, technical knowledge in CSS, HTML5, Javascript, and overall design principles.

The problem is in the very high-level approach to the design. The usability of it. There is an important delineation between the planning/design phase and the implementation phase. The latter is highly skilled. The former is arguably a swing and a miss.

And it is very easy to skirt the line between a goose egg and a huge success when it comes to design principles of a UX layout on a high-traffic website. I think they have fallen on the wrong side of that line, but are in a desirable position of not being too far from the line. Or, in human-speak - I think they have an opportunity to make a reasonably small number of changes that promote the new asset store from dud to stud.

Anon32 and Martin_H like this.
  6. methos5k

methos5k

I just recently pursued fixing this, myself. I would prefer not storing large data blobs on my SSD, if possible. I moved my folder to a different drive & created a symlink where it used to be.

Anon32 likes this.
  7. neodotca

neodotca

Don't like the new store and disappointed that there are no more daily sales, want to keep the old store and want more sales!

JBR-games likes this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Still can't buy anything with the new store. It just sat there, spinning its wheels until I finally gave up and bought the asset I wanted on the old store.

schmosef likes this.
  9. Martin_H

Martin_H

I tried buying from the new one and the first attempt aborted with an error message at the payment stage before funds were transferred. The second attempt timed out at the payment stage after funds were transferred from my paypal account. It took a few minutes before I got the confirmation email and was able to actually access the assets that I had bought. I tried first to download them from the old store from within the unity editor, but that didn't work, then I went to the website (new store) and clicked the links that open the assets in the editor where I finally was able to download. The whole process is remarkably broken. I wrote support (only because one of the error messages said I should do that to forward them some info) and suggested they roll back the old store (where I never had this extend of problems), but I have little hope that usability and an actually working store system are prioritized over newfangled style-over-substance webdesign.

chingwa and JBR-games like this.
  10. derf

derf

I bought something recently and after hitting the submit button it arrived at a blank screen. I waited for the purchasing task "to be completed" but no page was displayed when it was, just a blank screen. However, when I went back to my cart to try again; the item was no longer in my cart and it was now in my downloads.

I did get my usual emails right after all this about buying the product, but was a little pissed the flow is not working properly yet.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

the asset store that is embedded in unity also is worse now, because of the spacing between the downloads in the bought items list. takes forevever to find and download the item you want

Deleted User and schmosef like this.
  12. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if I have the same complaint as Lars above, but it takes Unity forever to download my list of purchased assets in the editor. I think what's happening is that it can't do it if the asset store window was open in the previous session. Closing the window and re-opening it seems to help.

Deleted User and JBR-games like this.
  13. JBR-games

JBR-games

Have they even made any improvements in the past few months? Doesnt seem like it.

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

The Asset Store website is ok.
    But the Asset Store integrated in the editor was more simple and better before.
    There was your plugins list, you could directly download, update, review or remove from the same list.
    Why it has been made less practical, less fluent and more complicated ? :eek:
    I don't understand why there "My downloads" also, it's useless.

Deleted User likes this.
  15. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Here's what my wishlist looks like on the old asset store:

Here's what it looks like on the new one:

Which one do you think is more likely to pique one's interest and potentially make a purchase happen?

16. Martin_H

Martin_H

I've just received a mail from unity promoting the sale of the Livenda CTAA asset on the assetstore. I'd link you to it, but the assetstore seems to be unreachable for me at the moment. On http://www.livenda.com/ctaa/ it mentions release on the assetstore for today.

There have been "concerns" about them in the past:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/livenda-labs-ctaa-htc-vive-beware.429509/

I'd have posted it there, but the thread is locked.

Getting featured front and center in a Unity promo newsletter is a pretty big endorsement imho, and I have to wonder if UT has taken any steps to make sure this doesn't lead to a vast amount of angry customers down the road, who are not getting any support for their purchased asset, because the track record of livenda for that kind of thing seems to be among the worst in the whole assetstore ecosystem, based on the forum posts I've read.

chelnok, JBR-games, hopeful and 4 others like this.
  17. chingwa

chingwa

@Martin_H That is pretty galling considering their past reputation. A lot of people are likely going to get screwed. it's a shame to see Unity promoting such a shady seller.

I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, people / companies can change for the better (or worse!), but I certainly won't be buying.

Edit: Oh and look, they are on sale at 70% off which for all I can tell is a special discount that nobody else in the Madness Sale are getting. a LOT of people will be suckered in by this.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    hopeful and atomicjoe like this.
  18. omgketchup

omgketchup

The asset store is literally unusable this morning. 1.8 minutes to load a single asset page in a browser. I got one asset to load via the editor.

https://imgur.com/B3eycTU

Hopefully this resolves soon, especially on Day 1 of such a big sale.

19. movra

movra

It's... MADNESS!

Martin_H and Schneider21 like this.
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

I was able to make a purchase just fine on the old store today, but once again the new asset store failed to do anything. Given the amount of attention the editor is getting in coming releases, it's kinda sad to see the asset store flounder like this.

JBR-games and Martin_H like this.
  21. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I can tell you I'm not going to buy from Livenda even if they were at 99% sale.
    They should be banned from the assetstore altogether IMHO.

hopeful likes this.
  22. Martin_H

Martin_H

It's 58.50 $ now, didn't that cost like 400 or 500 $ at some point in the past? Boy must the people who actually bought it at that price be unhappy right now.

Good tip, though I don't know how to switch it over without having the link from the new store load first. That did work for me now, but when the site didn't load at all I didn't know how to get to the old store.

JBR-games likes this.
  23. JBR-games

JBR-games

Unfortunately most all links even in the old store take you to the new unusable store... And to make things worse all newer users basically don't even know about the old store so they are slowly fading it out as most traffic goes there now, and i'm sure soon it'll just one day be gone and we will be left with this pile of steaming $%&#. I will then No longer buy assets unless major changes happen. o_O

24. hopeful

hopeful

I always go to the old store. Me no like the new one AT ALL.

atomicjoe, Ony and JBR-games like this.
  25. Martin_H

Martin_H

26. chelnok

chelnok

It was 24h sale. It seems that 24h sales are back, and for now they have been 70%

edit: today it's Simple World, 70% off: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43072

schmosef and Martin_H like this.
  27. Martin_H

Martin_H

Oh... seems like they don't make it clear what discount is a 24h limited sale and what is part of the ongoing "madness" sale? Super confusing imho. Thanks for clarifying!

28. frosted

frosted

Programmers judging code as good when functionality like "checkout" and "display without taking a million years" have issues.

High quality code is code that works exceptionally well, not code that looks good when you glance through it.

29. tsibiski

tsibiski

I think I did a poor job of delineating between quality browser code and the code behinds. Clearly, the logic used in the code behind is less than stellar, given the results. What I do have insight into though is the browser code; CSS, HTML, and JS only. And reading through that, it looks pretty good. That isn't to say the result is good, but the response you quoted from me above was particularly centered around poor web development.

Of course, to drive the point home, you can fill a sports roster with some of the best, most well known players in their league, but the result can still be a poor team that fails to win. And I don't think it is unreasonable to still talk about the individual player's performance as being good, even if it doesn't make the team functional, much less good. I also realize that is far from a perfect analogy, but I mean it just to present where I am coming from when I say that.

In short, I agree with you. And I probably didn't make my stance particularly clear.

Ony and frosted like this.
  30. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but what I don't like about the new asset store is that when you want to download and install an asset from within Unity, you no longer see the latest patch history.

You just get a large icon and the name now. No date of update or anything. Quite a significant reduction in usability.

31. hopeful

hopeful

BTW, was there any kind of "heads up" issued by Unity about the return of the 24-hr sales? I had stopped looking for it every day, like I used to, and was surprised to see that it is back. Now I'm wondering how long it's been back and what I missed. :(

32. chingwa

chingwa

@hopeful it's only back during the current Spring sale, as an extra promotion. I've not heard any official talk of bringing back 24 hour sales otherwise, though Asset Publishers have been pushing for it hardcore. Unity is conspicuously silent on the issue.

33. hopeful

hopeful

Well ... missed opportunities for both me and Unity then, I guess. ;)

atomicjoe and JBR-games like this.
  34. JBR-games

JBR-games

Its one of many issues the new store has that unity could seem to care nothing about... As all has been silent as far as future updates to the new store.
    I get the impression they could care less what we think..

35. derf

derf

A feature I would like to have is the ability to filter search results and sales against what I already have so I do not see assets I have already bought. Right now I still see them when I search or view their current sales.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

the in-editor list of owned things is total crap now, it was waaay better before, WAAAAAAY WAAY better

and it needs to use our lists or some kinda way to categorize it,

its really crappy, i have a few assets i put into like every project,

and then i have huuge list of freebie stuff, 3d models, that, most of it i just wanted to see as a art style reference , and like i got every freebie behavior tree thing to see which one actually works well (went with NPBehave) but now all the other trash (and some are suuper outdated non-working trash) is just cluttering my "owned" list

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2018
    atomicjoe, JBR-games and Ony like this.
  37. eobet

eobet

Some very good points in this thread on Reddit, both from asset store publishers and users:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/8hfmxs/what_on_earth_happened_to_the_asset_store/

Also, bombshell if true:
    Regardless, Unity, you really effed up this one, big time. And I really hope a junior designer handled this, because wow.

atomicjoe, JBR-games and schmosef like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

One flaw I ran into a couple of days ago - which I think I also encountered immediately on release of the new store, but clearly it hasn't been fixed in all this time - is that on the new store when viewing from a tablet you cannot zoom on images, while on the old store you can. Zooming images is helpful, because many people selling on the store are not very good at selling their art, and the pictures are way too small to carry details that a buyer would want to see before buying.

atomicjoe and JBR-games like this.
  39. chingwa

chingwa

Few Asset Developers are happy about the situation. There has been massive amount of criticism and feedback given to Unity about AssetStore 2.0, but so far very little apparent action in fixing it's many many problems.

40. JBR-games

JBR-games

Yes that was something i noticed very early many months ago and even submitted feedback about it. But nothing..

Im thinking unity may have changed their policy on allowing forum responses from unity employees, as ive seen little to no responses on many threads that they use to respond to.

41. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I reported a problem the other day and they did respond... to tell me it wasn't actually a problem and suggest I make a feature request instead.

Ony and schmosef like this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

This behavior seems unusual. Fair or not, I'm beginning to associate it in my mind with John Riccitiello.

43. Stardog

Stardog

Oh my god. I just used it inside Unity for the first time in a while.

My Downloads screen takes a long time to load and blocks clicking of anything else.

The My Downloads and My Purchased buttons switch places when selecting, and I can't search these pages??

No visible scrollbar on the screen. Especially bad because the window doesn't have focus until you click beneath where the Asset Store tab is. Clicking once on the dark area where the tab is will lose focus.

Click-dragging the scrollbar will also sometimes highlight all of the HTML elements, making them turn blue.

The scrollbar is way up off the page and hovers over the black search bar, making it impossible to see.

Coming from a web designer, this is just dire and needs redone from scratch. Start by stripping all JS and JS Frameworks and build the store from there.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  44. schmosef

schmosef

According to this comment in the Reddit thread linked above, there is an attempt underway to improve the situation.

Thanks for the info @LaneFox. :)

45. Player7

Player7

Yeah whole page loads, but price.. nah gotta wait for that.. the wonders of JS = junkshit and developers just expecting everyone has a not S***ty isp and internet connectivity.

And price is not based on location ie GBP for me instead I get shown EU prices.

Also reviews.. where you have to click the view all button, and then wait for that crap to load, and then click the Sort by, latest option... and wait for that crap to load... why can't you just have the Sort By all latest option right on the main asset product review section with paging. Is just so many little issues with this new store that really piss me off.. just nuke it, abandon whatever garbage js framework was used, and go improve the original one with some better features? jk I know you guys won't do that. Shame really.

46. hopeful

hopeful

Another nettlesome store issue ... the last two madness sales have said they end on the day after the sale actually ends. I've been receiving ads from Unity telling me the sale ends on the 12th, but it turns out the last day to buy was the 11th.

Everywhere else I see sales advertised they give the start date and end date and they are inclusive. Why would Unity want to remind people the sale ends on the 12th when the last day of sale prices is the 11th?

They got me on it last time. I had spent the whole madness sale browsing and finding the things I wanted to get, and when I went to click "buy" on my full cart on the last day of the sale, I found the sale had ended the previous day.

I heard I was not the only one who was fooled, and that Unity was advised of the situation, and yet here we go again on the very next sale, doing the same thing.

Martin_H likes this.
  47. chingwa

chingwa

Asset Developers have repeatedly suggested they put a countdown timer on their sales, so these types of confusions don't continue to happen. Unity does not seem to like the idea. Who knows why. They don't listen to us, maybe they'll listen to customers if enough people complain.

hopeful likes this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

As a customer, I agree, and of course they used to have countdowns. Had them for years.

BTW, in reference to when the madness sale ends ... I see in normal print down near the bottom of an email I received that it says the sale ends on the 11th, so all those ads I was hit with in my browser maybe were just giving the wrong date ...?

49. chingwa

chingwa

They have a few choice assets on an extended sale for two days longer to coincide with some Chinese event that is going on.

They've put out ads / emails / twitter with the wrong date in some cases. Hell even their "start the sale" banner had the wrong date listed. They are just really bad at communication. It seems like a bad idea to confuse the pot like this... I don't know why they don't just start a sale at X date and end a sale at Y date. Anything else just confuses everyone. And as you mentioned, this kind of miscommunication goes on at every sale. You can almost set your watch by it.

hopeful likes this.
  50. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I just used the asset for the first time in a long while last night. I’m sort of indifferent to the changes. Mainly because the underlying usability is still terrible. Really long load times, timeouts and about 20% of the time, missing css, (that part seems new to me). It took me nearly 10 minutes to locate and download an old purchase. That is crazy. I can download and install an new version of unity in about the same amount of time. New layout, old layout... both equally broken to me.

schmosef and Martin_H like this.