Search Unity

DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kasana_94, Aug 2, 2015.

1. kasana_94

kasana_94

Hello everyone,

Well I am having a certain amount of difficulty now days. As to tell, I am from art background and have no programming knowledge and experience. My question is where should I start from. How do I know what to use where to get a certain type of output by programming. I have looked at the official unity programming tutorials, but I think they are not for the NOOBS in programming. Please help me as I am having a huge roadblock in front of me.

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

2. aer0ace

aer0ace

I can understand how the Unity scripting tutorials aren't exactly geared towards learning basic programming. I'd recommend using Visual Studio 2013 Community and starting off with some C# console application projects. There are plenty of C# programming tutorials online, even on Youtube, and finding different sources for the same material will help solidify your understanding of concepts from different perspectives.

3. tedthebug

tedthebug

Have you looked at Playmaker? It's a visual scripting add on from the asset store that may help you as it removes a lot of the coding. You still need to understand consepts & the order to do things but I know artists that use it to make games for game jams & quick prototyping before they work with programmers.

4. jhocking

jhocking

If you truly know nothing at all about programming, I generally recommend https://www.codecademy.com/ to start with. Mind you, I don't recommend staying there that long, because the lessons there aren't specific to Unity, but that's a great place to spend a weekend learning the basics of programming.