Search Unity

Domino piece slanted

Discussion in 'Physics' started by alejandromarcu, Dec 14, 2017.

1. alejandromarcu

alejandromarcu

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a domino track, so that you drop the first piece and it produces a chain reaction. However, I noticed that sometimes pieces would fall on its own. The problem seems to be that even if I place them completely vertical, they have a small rotation.

This is very easy to repro from scratch:
    1. Add a plane in 0,0,0

2. Add a cube of dimensions 0.1, 0.1, 0.01 placed floor level (0, 0.05, 0), with a rigid body
    Initially the rotation is 0, but when it starts then the rotation is for example (-1.3, 0.016, 0). Sometimes is enough to tip pieces over.

Why is that? is there a numerical error? am I missing something?

I've tried all this so far, I'm running out of ideas:
    • Changing the depth, of course deeper is more stable, but then it's harder to tip them off, so it's not really a solution for what I want to do.
    • Changing drag and angular drag doesn't seem to change anything
    • In play mode, reset the rotation to 0 to check if it was an initial micro-collition with the floor, still it gets tipped over
    • Played with moving a bit the center of mass, I can balance a bit better but doesn't really solve it.
    • I used Sleep on the pieces, that made it much better, but they're still tipping of sometimes before getting hit, I don't understand how that's happening.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks!

Add comment

2. BoogieD

BoogieD

Have you tried locking the rigidbody side to side axis so it can't rotate that way while standing? Once it starts to fall forward then unlock it so normal reactions occur.

3. alejandromarcu

alejandromarcu

The problem is that when I unlock it still falls