Search Unity

Dolly Track with multiple POV cameras - HowTo

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by sstrong, Mar 18, 2019.

1. sstrong

sstrong

I have a dolly track with a virtual camera that is animated along the track. I wish to have a number of cameras that then look at static objects along the path. I'd like to blend between the forwards facing camera and the POV cameras.

My current setup has the POV cameras also animated along the same track. This works ok apart from when the cameras blend. During the blending the forwards motion along the track stutters, slows down, and is not smooth. Ideally, I'd like to have a single animation along the dolly track, then blend with the POV cameras. However, this does not seem possible as the POV cameras need to know where along the track they are, and they also need to moving along the track.

How can I achieve this with Timeline and Cinemachine?

upload_2019-3-18_9-33-33.png

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You should be using distance units or normalized units for the path position - not Path Units. That gives smoother motion that is independent of the waypoint spacing.

Are the POV cameras and the main dolly camera all intended to have the same position but looking at different stuff? In other words it is a clump of cameras all travelling together along the track? If so, you can consider putting them inside an empty GameObject with a CinemachineDollyCart behaviour. Then, animate its path position and all vcams will travel together.

3. sstrong

sstrong

Putting all POV cameras on an animated dolly cart and setting them to Follow the cart was much better. Thank you.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

They don't need to follow the cart if they are children of the cart. You can set the Body of the vcams to "Do Nothing", which disables the procedural positioning.

sstrong likes this.