Search Unity

Dolly Camera twitching on different resolutions

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Fooslie, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Fooslie

Fooslie

Hi! So... I have a Dolly Camera with Track, the camera looks at the character and follows him with auto dolly function (I'm trying to make a 3D platformer, where my character follows a certain path while the camera follows him on its own track... and I used Cinemachine for that, cuz it was easy to set up). Cinemachine brain update method set to smart (by default), path resolution and dolly camera settings set to default too.

I have a set of different resolutions (mostly 16:9 - 1920 * 1080, 2560 * 1440, 3840 x 2160) for some performance tests and... Well, with 1440p or 2160p camera follows the track & looks at the character perfectly smooth. But when I switch to 1080p (or any other resolution less than 1440p) camera starts twitching a bit at random moments while following the path, it looks like in these moments it changes the position momentarily instead of smooth transition. How can I get rid of it?

creativ4eg likes this.
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Are you doing the performance tests at different resolutions in the editor or with a build?

3. Fooslie

Fooslie

Both, in the editor and with a build, and it twitches in both cases on resolutions lower than 1440p. It might be less in the editor, but I can't say for sure cuz it happens at random places.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Do you still get the twitches if you turn all vcam damping to 0?

5. Fooslie

Fooslie

I turned all vcam damping settings to 0 and this twitching still occurs (but it looks more like stuttering when the camera moves in an arc of the track, and less like a single random twitch here or there).

If I set Body's Z damping to 0, and X and Y damping to 0,5, there's less twitching (almost none in the editor, but still some in the build, a lot more in the build if Z damping is set to 1) if I start the game in 1080p. In 1440p or higher all looks fine & no twitching in the build with these settings.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018