Search Unity

Dolly Cam skips part of the track.

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by username132323232, Nov 28, 2017.

1. username132323232

username132323232

It seems that in my test scene the Dolly Cam skips part of the track (around waypoint 3). Is that because the track is too steep? Did I configure it incorrectly?

dolly_video.gif
    dolly.PNG

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's the shape of your path. Every frame the AutoDolly feature will send the camera to the point on the path that's nearest to the target. The part of the path that gets skipped is farther away than the points on either side of it.

The Z damping on the TrackedDolly component should smooth this over. Increase its value, and actually play the timeline (instead of dragging it).

Sometimes the desired camera motion is just not possible for the algorithm behind AutoDolly to achieve. In that case you can fall back to animating the path position. If animating, you'll get better control if you use Distance units rather than Path units (for AutoDolly, it makes no difference).

3. username132323232

username132323232

Thanks! That totally makes sense. If I move the track lower, the camera doesn't skip anymore.

It did help, but not much.

BTW, decreasing Search Radius to 1 helped a bit. I wonder if making Search Radius = 0.5 would be even better, but I guess that would affect performance.

EDIT: The obvious (as I just realized) solution is simply to add more waypoints around the steep part of the path, set Search Radius=1 and/or increase Search Resolution. You guys thought of everything. Brilliant!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017