Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Doing a major version upgrade, Asset Bundles are much larger than expected

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by leif_bbltime, Apr 27, 2023.

1. leif_bbltime

leif_bbltime

I'm working a project where we are upgrading from 2018.4 to 2021.3, I understand there's big changes between how the asset bundles systems work.

I've got Asset Bundles of the same collection of assets, Sprites and the Atlases. The old project is using the deprecated in version 2021 Sprite Packer, the new project is using the Sprite Atlas Asset to pack sprites.

Old Bundle: 2~ MB, analyzed the contents of the bundle and it's Sprite data and Texture2Ds of the Atlases.

New Bundle: 11~ MB, analyzed the contents of the bundle and it's Sprite and Texture2Ds of the Atlases plus individual RGBA32 Texture2Ds. Which seems to be the source of the discrepancy.

But, I can't understand why or how to possibly resolve it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. leif_bbltime

leif_bbltime

So here's how I worked things out. I added the Sprites folders to an Addressables group and Include in Build = False. When I actually build, the Atlases and just the Sprites are pulled into the asset Bundles, the Texture2D for the individual sprites are not.

3. AndrewSkow

AndrewSkow

Unity Technologies

Hi leif_bbltime, I'm glad you figured out a workaround. I believe this bug has been reported by another user, and has been identified as a regression that appeared starting in Addressables 1.21.3. A fix is being prepared.