Search Unity

Feedback Doing a degree in game art...

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by gamergirl1995, Apr 22, 2019.

?

Is pursuing a degree in game art really worth the time and money?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. gamergirl1995

gamergirl1995

At the moment, I really feel paralysed about what I should do...
    A week ago, I got accepted into a game development program with the specialization in visual art in the Netherlands in Breda.

I am really happy that I got accepted, but at the same time it also confuses me whether I should really go for it, because I have already completed a bachelor's degree in Information Design and a two-year course diploma course in graphic design.

It is my dream to work in games, but at the same time I believe that I could also just teach myself all the skills needed to get hired in a games studio and at the same time being employed in a graphic design agency to get work experience.

Also, I am worried about ageism in this industry. Right now being 24 years old, I am still young enough to work in the field, but what about when I turn 50? I am really afraid that one day, I get layed off of a games company and never be able to get work again, because I will be too old...

I know these thoughts are stupid, because it is too far in the future, but I am really worried about my prospects in life... On the one hand, if I accept to study game arts, I am worried that when I am finished at 27, that I am already too old, on the other hand I would deeply regret that I didn't accept the offer...

I can't think clearly and sleep well anymore, because of all these depressing thoughts.

How would you guys deal with a situation like this? Thank you in advance for your responses and I wish you a nice day!

2. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli

While all of these questions are valid and important, I’d say: stop thinking and do it.

I am closing on 30 this year and I am pursuing a career as a media composer. The reality is that if you have talent, a great personality and a passion for hard work, you will find work. School is great for meeting people in the industry that otherwise would be hard to meet. It is great for building a peer network.

Yes, you probably could teach yourself, but I have advanced most in my whole life when I studied in school, lead and guided by a seasoned professional. I was lucky since all of my lecturers spent at least 50% of their time out working in the industry. My composition lecturer didn’t really even need the income from teaching. It was more of a demand from his wife that he had some kind of a solid schedule to stick to. He has a tendency to lose control of day rhythm I guess :D

We are slowly moving into a world where games are no longer a generation thing but a viable and respectable career through several generations. By the time you graduate and are ready to really jump in to the job market it is even more so.

While in our artistic world degrees and papers don’t really matter, the skills we aquire and develop as we study, are invaluable. The diplomas are proof of these talents. Especially if you can be recommended by your teachers.

All this said, while you and I still have time, the reality is that there is not much of it. At some point we must look at where we are in the light of family responsibilities (if you are married/have children/spouse etc). At some point we must be able to stand on our own as contributors in our communities and society.

Basically through all this hopefully coherent flow of thoughts I am trying to say:

Go for it and give your all like you life depends on it. There is no point taking the study unless you are willing to go for A+.

I don’t mean to put pressure on you, but hidin reality would be a great disservice to you. If game-art is your passion, treat it with the seriousness and respect it deserves :)

Mark_01 and gamergirl1995 like this.
  3. khos

khos

Isn't illegal to discriminate against age (or gender) in the workplace? In the UK it is anyway, on CV's don't add your age, why do you worry about this? As you get older you get more experience which a degree cannot get you... as you get older you'll probably be able to apply for different roles such as managing or be able to do other things, or do you expect to stay on the same job level all your life?

gamergirl1995 likes this.
  4. SymbolSculptors

SymbolSculptors

It is illegal - but companies do it anyways, once you pass a certain age you become almost worthless to a company (even if you have loads of years of experience). Sad reality. If you are worried about being laid off, while you are studying, just make lots of games and get out there yourself. Don't leave it to just working for a company. :) I'm also closing in on 30 and I just started getting out there - you are never too old to enjoy learning. As an addendum - like taistelusopuli said, use the lecturers in uni to build a professional network. That's probably the most important part of the university process, getting access to all the cool industry people. Don't be like me and ignore them ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  5. khos

khos

Just go indie... or have a main job in software development (or whatever), but then do part time game dev, until one day you can live off your earnings from the released games.

6. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis

Am artist who supports myself with art and went to art school. Almost everyone Ive worked with is self trained, and almost everyone who isnt regrets the debts incurred through art school. The exceptions to that rule are the few I've met who've attended art ateliers.

Dont worry about age, art is a portfolio industry. No one cares about years or degrees for the most part.

I find specialized art education is often a bit of a gimmick (game art etc). Skillful drawing and painting, foundational abilities, are 90% of all art careers (with the exception of design, which has a ton of its own foundations). Learning industry specifics is something you can learn to do on the job or from a book.

IMHO, go to a real university and get an accredited degree ONLY if you think the "college experience" is something you really want, you have enough time and money to spend getting a rounded education with various general studies and assorted electives, or you want to have a degree as a fallback (since there are a bunch of non art jobs out that with a minimum requirement of college).