Search Unity

Does Unity3D 2D games HAVE to be sidescrollers?

Discussion in '2D' started by HippaPiffa, Jan 15, 2014.

1. HippaPiffa

HippaPiffa

And if not how would I go about making it a non-sidescroller 2D mmorpg?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Of course not. You can make whatever sort of game you want, by programming it to do the things you want it to do. "Making a 2D MMORPG" is a ludicrously big topic that can't be responded to in a forum post. Probably try something (much) smaller first.

--Eric

3. HippaPiffa

HippaPiffa

I aplogize. I'm really new to all of this. And I'm switching from a small 2D orpg community where I did no coding. So I'm a bit dumb founded atm. Even watching these tuts on the site is making me more and more confused.

Here is where I am now, I just started a new project and I'm trying to learn what is the first step I should do... I suppose I need to create my first component and I'm reading now to what each might do.

I do plan on starting small and working my way up. I just have so much to learn and I wanna learn it so fast haha.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

At this point, doing pretty much anything would be helpful, even if it doesn't seem directly related to a 2D MMORPG. Just do some random tutorials and learn stuff. :) Later on you'll get a feel for what you "really" need to focus on.

My advice regarding 2D in Unity is to note that what I sometimes see people saying about how "oh, Unity has 2D now" is wrong...it's always had 2D. It's just nicer and more convenient now without necessarily needing to program or buy a sprite system. But it's not fundamentally different. You're still using a 3D engine where sprites are basically textures on a quad (not entirely accurate but close enough) that exist in 3D space. Unless you really need something to be pixel-perfect for some reason (which I'd discourage in most cases since there are too many resolutions and screen aspect ratios to consider), think of 2D in arbitrary units, like 3D, rather than pixels. My point being that most of what you learn about Unity applies equally to 2D as 3D, so don't ignore 3D stuff even if you don't have immediate plans to use it.

--Eric

5. HippaPiffa

HippaPiffa

Great advice... Exactly the positive motivation I wanted to hear. :) Yeah converting my idealism of pixel to more arbitrary units is what I'm going to have to do... it is a lot to take in.

With the actual programming stand point are there any tutorials that can help when it comes to creating a 2D non side scroller? I'm gonna start looking now myself. I'll edit if I find it....

If you check out my website you will see what kind of game I am looking for with the video at the bottom

www.hippapiffapoof.com

6. Kurius

Kurius

Looking at that video you definitely want to make a Tile-based (aka Grid-based) game without physics.
    Search this forum for all posts regarding "tile" or "grid".

7. HippaPiffa

HippaPiffa

good lookin out. mucho grande love.