Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Unity use non-linear interpolation for bone animation?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by manuelflara, Nov 28, 2007.

1. manuelflara

manuelflara

My artist complains about Unity distorting some of its animations bone movement. They actually play different from MS3D than from inside Unity. He thinks MS3D uses linear interpolation between frames and Unity uses something else. Is this true? Can this be changed anywhere?

Thanks,

2. Talzor

Talzor

Try to disable keyframe resuction in the import settings. I know our animator does that as the reduction causes small impressisions in the animations (feet starts to slide around a little etc.)

3. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Seeing this here as well. In Maya, the feet in the FBX are locked and do not move...

In Unity they slide around. It doesn't seem to matter if Keyframe Reduction is used or not.

It's very frustrating...

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Unity uses hermite spline interpolation. We import animation by sampling the Maya animation at 30 frames per second, then run a filter on it to reduce the keyframes. As has been said, try turning off keyframe reduction. If that doesn't help Report a bug and send in a .mb / fbx file that clearly shows the issue.

5. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Thanks for the info Joachim. I'm still seeing feet sliding even with Keyframe Reduction off.

Sent repro package as bug #17211.

6. Stick

Stick

Hey Joachim. I was talking to Amir at the Austin Conference just a couple days ago about the keyframe reduction and animation importing features of Unity. For the games we are working on it would be very helpful to be able to control the sample rate and the filtering option to gain the right compression we are looking for. Since animations are one of the greatest areas of filesize growth in 3d assets, being able to control compression for them would be ideal for web based games. Is that a possibility?

7. llavigne

llavigne

As well as offering different interpolation functions such as auto-plateau and other intelligent curve fitting techniques

8. holmeren

holmeren

We have the same slide problem but it is fixed here by using the FBX (Max) key reduction and not Unitys. It increases the webplayer by 1 mb for two characters ;)