Search Unity

Does Unity support Envelopes for variables?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by madpuppet, Apr 18, 2012.

1. madpuppet

madpuppet

I'm a unity newbie. I have a script with a few variables the move from 0..1 over time.
    I'd like the user to be able to control the speed they move over time using an envelope.

Should I be using Animation components for this? I had a look but they seemed like they are more suited for applying a single animation to the transform of a GameObject.

Ideally what I want is little envelope windows in the gui where the user can edit an envelope for each variable in the script instance. (ie. add/remove/move nodes with the horizontal axis having a 0..1 time range and the vertical axis being 0..N).

Can anyone point me in what direction I should be investigating? If not supported already, is this sort of thing possible as a GUI addon?

2. BeerHuntor

BeerHuntor

3. madpuppet

madpuppet

Thanks, but No, I don't mean ingame GUI. I mean I want the envelope to be a (C#) public variable that is editable in the Inspector window.

4. BeerHuntor

BeerHuntor

Should be possible, I think. But i wouldn't know how to. Sorry.

5. madpuppet

madpuppet

So it seems the unity editor is also written using that GUI system, so worst-case I could write an envelope extension.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/gui-ExtendingEditor.html

Before I do, I'd love to know if I'd be re-inventing the wheel (plus that will be a fair bit of R&D for me to work out how).

6. madpuppet

madpuppet

Found it.

public AnimationCurve my_variable;

Gives me exactly what I want. Just had to find the right name.

7. BeerHuntor

BeerHuntor

Glad you figured it out :)