Search Unity

Does Unity make game dev too difficult?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarBenjamin, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Simmer down my children of the night. Sometimes a necro can provide some new prey but also some new insights... (so far none tho hehe)

Deleted User likes this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I think giving up on "new insights" is a good idea when Arowx posts his Doom clone in a thread.

Kiwasi, hippocoder and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I remember seeing that and just now looked it up on your Itch.io account and gave it another play along with a couple of other doom clone style games by others. Overall I think you did a very good job on it for 10 days. I find the mouse look to be too sensitive / fast but that is perhaps because of having my mouse speed cranked up big time in general in Windows.

LOL! I remember when I originally created this thread. It was born out of frustration and I think maybe due in part to having come in with my expectations set too high. I already knew how to develop games I was just looking for an alternative to C# & XNA because MS announced they were not continuing with XNA. So when I kept hearing people talk about how easy it made game development I think maybe I expected that to mean it really did make game development much easier than say C# & XNA or Blitz3D for example.

For me though it just was never the case. It actually seemed like each aspect was made more complicated often relying on some GUI-based process such as the creation of animations (which then layered states in) for example. I guess I just connect much more with a purely programmatic approach. I found Blitz3D to be extremely good for example. Want to load an image or a model just type in LoadImage, LoadMesh, etc. Want to go with primitives just type CreateCube, CreateSphere giving the appropriate parameters, for size, etc. I don't see how anything is simpler than that. But again that is just because I connect with this approach.

I think part of that is also that my ambitions for game scopes and especially visual stuff are probably much lower than many people who use these bigger game engines. Ah well in the end it just comes back to the same ole every person is different and each person must find the right approach for themselves. For a lot of people game engines like Unity, Unreal, Godot, etc have made them very productive and a lot of people have completed games for the first time in their lives using these engines. So they obviously are very good.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Most threads start to loose their value after about page six or so. Whatever topic the OP had started is long buried. And its just the last two or three diehards fighting back and forth over some point of semantics. Or link spamming videos that no one actually watches.

We should just auto lock every discussion at page six. If its worth continuing, a new thread can be spawned. :p ;)

xVergilx, MD_Reptile and CarterG81 like this.
  5. CarterG81

CarterG81

You know, I am usually the first to defend a necro. I think the culture of "necro = always bad" is idiotic. Necro shouldn't even be a thing. We should have all freedom to necro anything we want.

That's usually my stance.

However this?

NECRoOOOOoOOOOOOooOOOOoOOOOooOOoOO!!!!!!!!!
    Necrooooooooooooooo.png

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!

If you're going to necro a thread, at least SKIM a few replies so you can try to bring something fresher in. To go straight in announcing you read 0% of the thread? At that point... Just make a new thread!!

6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I am glad they necro'd the thread, because I hadn't noticed it until today :D

CarterG81, Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I mean, its not like the thread has gone out of date. This is from the front page, and its still as relevant as it ever was.

Shorely, CarterG81 and MD_Reptile like this.
  8. Siccity

Siccity

Oh S***. Didn't even notice it was old. It just popped up on my feed and I just assumed that meant it was ongoing. Right. I'll scram back to my corner now :D

CarterG81 and MD_Reptile like this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

We've seen you now. Now you have to participate in every thread in general discussion. We never let anyone go. :p

CarterG81, neoshaman and MD_Reptile like this.
  10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

^ My face as I read through general discussion

CarterG81 and GarBenjamin like this.
  11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Some tools need desperate updates, like terrain, navmesh, better lowlevel access to Umbra, for example so that multiplayer games can use it on server to determain what the players and AI see (stuff that does not have a camera attached).

12. Arowx

Arowx

So what do you think of ECS so far?

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

No necro posts on its forum ;)

CarterG81 likes this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This turned into random chat so it was locked.

CarterG81 and Antypodish like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.