Search Unity

Does Unity IAP make use of Android Advertising ID?

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by peterk1968, Mar 19, 2019.

1. peterk1968

peterk1968

I have been using Unity IAP to support in app purchases on 2 of my apps coded in the last few years.
    Both apps are set to use IAP version 1.16.0 (Jan 2018).
    My Unity version is 2017 4.0f1.

Recently, I've received a notification from Google stating that one of my apps is being removed from their store due to Issue: Violation of Usage of Android Advertising ID policy.

I'm not going to quote their entire complaint here because this seems to be a fairly common issue.

The app in question does not use any in-app advertising and I removed collection of Analytic data in my code about a year ago specifically to avoid the entire "personal information" issue.

So, now I'm trying to figure out why the complaint is happening and what to do to implement the simplest solution in getting things back to normal andmy app back in their store.

Based on my research, it seems that the Android Advertising ID is being picked up by Unity Analytics which is required to be enabled if Unity In App Purchases is enabled.

I read some of the comments on Unity IAP in the App store and one fellow making a comment for v 1.20 stated:

"Prior versions ended up causing apps to be removed from Google Play without warning because the forced integration of analytics was violating the GDRP (by using the advertiser id)."

He is implying that newer versions of the IAP plug-in are no longer retrieving the Android Advertising ID, but I just updated my plugin and went over the Change Log and didn't see any mention of that being changed.

So, question #1. Does the most up to date IAP plugin make use of the Android Advertising ID?
    #2. Is the actual dependency on that in Analytics?
    #3.Why collect it from the user's device if an app does not have Ads enabled? What is it used for?
    #4. If I am not interested in tracking my in-app purchases with Unity Analytics, is there any way to disable that link? I sell my app on multiple platforms. Receiving data on in app purchases that omits some of those platforms is not terribly useful to me.