Search Unity

Does Unity Editor function on Ubuntu 16.04 Please help.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by HeliNutAndy, Dec 12, 2017.

1. HeliNutAndy

HeliNutAndy

I am attempting to use Unity 5.1.0f3 which is the only package I could locate to install. I like to work in a strictly Linux environment and will have to move on to a different set of API's if Unity is not Linux friendly. I am strictly a coder or programmer and have been trying to walk through some of the tutorials but I am finding it way too buggy to even go through what are supposed to be the beginner tutorials but are becoming more of a lesson on debugging Unity. The main issue appears to be the version I am attempting to use is out dated and every time my system crashes and submit a crash report I receive an email stating that I should upgrade. When I worked in support this was the old pass the buck 'ticket' or defect which no one worked on but how can I get a hold on using the tool if I cannot get a newer version or some type off support other than upgrade. Is there a newer version available for Ubuntu users and if so where can I obtain a copy? This is the third tutorial I have attempted without success do to application issues and I can't waste any more time on tutorials or examples if the tool cannot even execute the tutorial code.

Thank you,
    Andy

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Unity's Linux (IDE) support is still in beta, but they're right, you're using an ancient version there, and "upgrade" really is the right answer. Why would they provide any other support for bugs they've probably fixed years ago? What other support could they provide, even in theory?

This thread provides announcements and other info about the Linux versions. Go to the last post in the thread to find the link to the latest and greatest version (which is 2017.3.0f1, posted last Wednesday).

Also, that same Linux editor subforum is the right place to post questions or issues related to the Linux IDE. But, if I may share a bit of advice, you may want to check your attitude at the door... this is a friendly community, and Unity's a great tool, but hostility is unlikely to improve your success or your happiness.

3. HeliNutAndy

HeliNutAndy

I have no hostility but do not have patience for laziness and excuses. What they should provide is a link at the very minimum. Call me spoiled but a one line support answer like this is just lazy. I think I found the link I needed and thank you for the help. One last comment... If Unity adds a crash or bug report tool maybe it should be taken the reports a little more seriously even though I am the minority using a Linux machine. Is it really that hard to look at the debug output and see that I am using an older version and I am on Linux. They cannot even spend the minute to find the latest link/links and send them off? Really??? This is an elementary support function. Thx again and thx for the enlightenment regarding this community and the expectations. For me technical posts are just fact finding missions and not finger pointing analysis of the way people communicate. If I am hostile for expecting more out of an engineering group so be it but pls don't send multiple support emails(due to multiple crashes) that tell me to upgrade with no information on how to.